1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cabin air filter causing weird noise?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ltjpayne, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    $7 for Fram FreshBreeze with baking soda. about 10k.

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 3:41 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    FIXED IT!!!!! no noise what so ever!!

3. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    Major

Major Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 V-6 Tacoma Crew TRD off-road
    Husky Liners, Predator Running Boards, Undercover, TRD air filter, TRD front skid plate, TRD front brake pads, tint, TRD bed mat, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, chrome grill cover
    Realize this is a bit dated thread, but doing some cruising around and found it. What site on the web are you getting these cabin filters at $14.00? Thanks

4. Jan 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
  5. Jan 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    just picked up my taco two days ago, it has 33k on it, and the blower is definitely clicking (32 degrees here), i did a search and found this thread, going to check the cabin air filter tomorrow, but i'm guessing it's the blower, anyone know how much those go for?? thanks

6. Jan 30, 2009 at 3:31 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    How did you fix it (the ticking I assume)?

7. Jan 30, 2009 at 3:34 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Anyone try blowing out their cabin filter with an air compressor or is this a dumb idea?

8. Jan 30, 2009 at 3:39 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    I'm hoping the 06 filter is the same for an 08 but I just wanted to pose the question? When I go to the logical-source website and switch to an 08 Taco, the air filter isn't even in the list. Anyone know if they're the same?

9. Jan 30, 2009 at 3:50 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Jan 30, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I had the clicking sound. When I pulled the filter it was full of pine needles, pieces of leaves etc. With the filter out I turned on the fan and the ticking was still there. It took about 5 minutes with a small mirror and some long bent forceps to remove a few pieces that somehow got past the filter and now the fan is whisper quiet again.

I didn't bother replacing the filter. I just attacked it with an air hose and put it back in.

11. Jan 30, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
  12. Jan 30, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is correct sir

13. Jan 30, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    I've found the reason for the ticking sound. My dealer kept saying "normal" and "there are leaves in the fan". I kept telling them otherwise until I got pissed enough to just take apart the blower fan and see where EXACTLY the sound was coming from. The sound is coming from the metal faceplace which covers the wire spool around the spindle of the fan. the faceplace must be balanced properly because it holds in place the spindle which is rotating for the fan to blow. when the faceplace is off balance by one of two screws that holds it in place, the fan ticks like a MF'er....as you balance the plate, the tick goes away and is as quiet as a mouse.

#1 I took my glove box completely off making sure to release the springy thing first on the right side towards the passenger door and then just popped her out.

#2 I then got out my trusty ratchet with a 5.5mm socket and removed 3 screws on the underside of the blower....the fan will slide out easily. leave the wires attached (be careful as the fan is still runnin' lectric)

#3 let down the door that holds the cabin filter in and remove filter. now you can reach up in there and see if any of those mysterious leaves are present. blow it out with your air compressor or just root your hand around in there to get anything out.

#4 hold the black plastic fan housing in your hand carefully and reach over and turn your a/c on the low setting (BE CAREFUL as that thing is quick to get away from you and can take a nub off pretty quickly) make sure you can hear the sound coming from the assembly in your hand. If so, move to step #5.

#5 remove the covering with a phillips screwdriver (4 screws - i think) and remove that cover to reveal a silver metal cover with TWO (2) lubed screws. THESE ARE THE SCREWS THAT MUST BE BALANCED. Take a pair of vice grips and grab the black housing with them so you can get your hands away from the moving fan and so you can hold it steady. then use your phillips screwdriver on one of the two screws and notice how you can make the sound/tick worse as you tighten one of the screws.....too tight and the fan slows down and/or TICKS, too loose and the fan slows down....(spindle getting in a bind).

There is a point where the fan will turn fastest and the sound will disappear magically. You'll see what I'm talking about once you're in there adjusting the screws to find that perfect point.

#6 re-assemble and enjoy!

I hope this helps a few people that have this ANNOYING sound!

sometimes it just takes getting pissed off.....damn delphi.

Why didn't they have metal stoppers under those screws or not have the spindle held still by a moveable plate......argh....

I think that over time, those screws are backing out at different rates, which makes the spindle bind up and/or ticking sound occur......

14. Jan 30, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I do that all the time. I have also washed it with some dish soap and had good results. :)

15. Feb 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    thanks ghost96romeo

16. Feb 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    No need to thank me, I only re-posted what TacoNut was giving the link to.

17. Feb 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    damn tickings back and its TICKING me off!!!! I have now convinced myself its the blower

18. Feb 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand

go to the link I posted (or just read where it was quoted)

you have to have the fan running while you balance the screws

19. Feb 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    thanks skipped right over that

20. Feb 2, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    mitiko

mitiko Well-Known Member

Member:
    lax
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd
    Hi anybody have a video how to remplace the cabin filter ....

Products Discussed in

To Top