1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cabin air filter causing weird noise?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ltjpayne, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Feb 6, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    JC870

JC870 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Longbed
    Blitz Safe aux. audio input
    I'm definitely going to try what Romeo suggested - that sound is driving me crazy!! And wouldn't you know when I try to take it in to the dealer it got quiet as a church mouse... thanks for the post!

2. May 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    EatTheGlass

EatTheGlass Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5
    I went through the process suggested earlier in this thread...but unfortunately this issue keeps coming back. I must have tried this now like three times...using different tensions..tight, loose..medium. I don't know, it seems to work at first, but a couple hours later, it's back. Anyone else in the same boat...any other things I can try? If you spray WD-40 in where the spindles are, would that cause any problems?

3. May 26, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper

I took mine to the dealer and they put a new fan in and its been fine since. It was under warrenty so it didn't cost me anything.

4. May 26, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    EatTheGlass

EatTheGlass Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5
    Is it normal for the dealer to charge you to look at it first? That's why I ended up on these boards trying to find a solution, the dealership wanted $105 just to look at it.

5. May 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper

no if its warrenty then they will cover it 100%... Damn thoses dealers for always trying to scam:mad:

6. May 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Tell them you're not paying anything because all labor should be covered under the warranty.

7. May 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    EatTheGlass

EatTheGlass Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5
    Do I dare tell them I've tried to attempt to fix it myself? I just don't want them to try and insist it's the result of leaves getting stuck up there...I want to tell them EXACTLY what the problem is.

8. May 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    I wouldn't tellem you've been toolin around in there that will just give them another reason to say no. they told me my Bering's were bad.

9. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    EatTheGlass

EatTheGlass Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5
    So, I dropped the truck off at the dealership this morning. they called me two hours later to claim that it's a result of leaves/debris up in the filter. I INSISTED that was not the reason, and that it is in fact the motor. They told me they would have the supervisor look into it....

What a headache...

10. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Go to a different dealer next time and tell them you're going to get SOMEONE to fix it and handle my complaints appropriately.

11. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    EatTheGlass

EatTheGlass Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5
    This is already my second dealership...the first one wanted $95 just to look at it.

12. Jun 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    EatTheGlass

EatTheGlass Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5
    Great, they are claiming it's debris that is in the motor...they want $261 to clean out everything. They are telling me it's a maintenance issue, not a warranty issue.

13. Jun 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    EatTheGlass

EatTheGlass Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5
    I've pulled that thing out myself now at least 5 times...there is no debris in there....I AM SO PISSED.

14. Jun 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    I'm with Hate2work on this one... You just can't trust what those monkeys are doing to your rig, or not doing. I just had my oil changed at the steelership today because I have a service certificate. When I checked my truck in with the service manager I told him I know for a fact that at the 30k service they did not replace the cabin filter and for them to take a look at it. I assumed that if it needed to be replaced that this certificate would cover it since they didn't do it at 30k like the service booklet says. Later he came to me and said I'd have to pay for it because my truck had more than exactly 30k miles on it. It ended up costing me $85!--They are there to rip you off. Plus, the glove box doesn't upon slowly anymore it just folds down without tension. From now on they don't touch it. I'll even bet that all the times I had them rotate the tires, they just put it on the lift and spun them around. "Yup you're tires were rotated."

15. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    suthn2

suthn2 Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner, TRD Off road 4x2
    Cat-back borla dual exhaust, trd cold air intake
    I tried the a/c blower fix and well it did not make any different, but I did notice that it would both speed up and slow down the fan as you tightened and or loosened

16. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    ebay, oem, 20.00 including shipping or as many have done, make one yourself for next to free.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Put the damper thing back on it & it will open slowly. It is usually connected in 2 places on the right hand side of the glovebox. Just look, you'll see how it connects. Pop it back on.

18. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    How do you know they actually put a new filter on & new oil in it?

Your tires rotate while you drive too. Do you trust that the service pukes really changed the position of where they were on the truck & did that properly? Lugs tightened correctly? Locks not fubar'd with impact?

These are reasons to learn how to do your own simple maintenance. Cheaper, less time wasted waiting for it to be done & you know exactly what went on. If you screw something up you only pay to fix it, not pay to have someone else fuck it up then more for the same fuckups to attempt to fix it.

19. Aug 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    luker1

luker1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke Ridge
    PA
    Vehicle:
    05 trd sport
    My truck didn't come with a cabin air filter stock ( at least thats what they said at the dealership!) so i had the same ticking noise that was caused from leaves getting in the blowermotor

20. Aug 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Nope, just the empty box for it on 05s. Asswipes didn't even put one in doing the 160 pt "certified preowned" process either. Xtreme stupid to put box there but not put filter in it. Why did they bother with the box in the first place? Mindless

Products Discussed in

To Top