1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cabin filter change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Halo913, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Depends on how much dust and pollen you like to have swirling around in your interior air. I finally broke down and dusted my dash and gauges for the first time since the truck was new in July 2009. There wasn't much there yet, and I drive around gravel and dirt roads all the time.

The dealers do overcharge you severely for both the part and the service. Go to one of the links people have posted and buy them for under $5 each (plus shipping) and change it yourself in less than 5 minutes.

2. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    whitetaco02

whitetaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Tinted windows, stainless steel drop hitch, rear TSB, Marathon seat covers in Realtree AP camo, low profile chrome toolbox, husky liners front and back, debadged
  3. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    whitetaco02

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Tinted windows, stainless steel drop hitch, rear TSB, Marathon seat covers in Realtree AP camo, low profile chrome toolbox, husky liners front and back, debadged
    Okay, so I just checked it and it looks fine. Now I am having trouble with the little shock staying hooked to the little gray tab on the dash. I saw where one guy used a screw. Anyone else run into this situation and what did you do? I still have warranty so it looks like I may be going to the dealership. Mine as well get the intermediate driveshaft tsb done too! :D

4. Jun 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    LATACOMAGUY

LATACOMAGUY Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Encino, CA (SoCal)
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner D-Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    It was a PITA at first for me too since the shock kept falling off. The tab where the shock pops into was worn out so my shock kept falling off too. I did what 05Moose did and used a little screw and for now its staying on with no problem. I also had a problem removing the filter as it seems the previous owner or dealer really shoved in the old one and it as stuck and caught on the plastic pieces inside the slot. Being that this was my first time changing it I was trying to be careful not to mess anything else up, but after about 15-20 minutes I finally go the old one out and it was dirty!

5. Jun 24, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    i bet a vibe filter is way cheaper than the tacoma filter

6. Jun 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Options are screw, 3m tape (one person installed it in the slot between the two parts of the tab to keep it separated), or warranty. At least one person went this route and it required the replacement of the whole dash. Then realize the new one will eventually do it too.

7. Jun 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    whitetaco02

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4

I went by there to get it looked at and my mechanic got it back on there. he said next time just release it from the bottom of the shock. I think I am going to either use tape or super glue on the top piece just to be sure. :D

Okay, maybe not super glue but tape sounds good!

8. Jun 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Thanks for the thread...I just ordered 6 for my '11 access cab, just hit 8k miles this week. Now I have 6 of these, a case of 12 oil filters, and a second set of rims with studded snows on them. Plus a bedmat, the corner angle tiedowns and red Devil Horns...

Howard

9. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    Macy

Macy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gray
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    Thanks to 05Moose. The pics were great, the screw was ingenious.

05Moose likes this.
  10. Jun 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Ok, so I guess the '05's never came with a cabin filter. Never changed it. Never had an odor. Picked a filter up at Wally World and put it in. I don't think the damper was working anyway, so I just removed it. I guess I could've done the screw mod, but F*(k it. Lol. Thanks for the how to.

11. Feb 24, 2016 at 6:43 AM
    Borg

Borg Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma double cab
    Back from the dead, LOL
    Does a 2000 Tacoma have a cabin filter? Never changed it, so probably need to

12. Feb 24, 2016 at 7:00 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Starting with Tacoma's Gen2. No filter installed by factory on 2005's, may have been a supply problem. Inspect first, may be able to tap it/vacuum it, especially after tree pollen season.

Products Discussed in

To Top