1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cai

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ODICA, Apr 28, 2009.

1. May 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welll....Look at the size difference in between the intake hose, and the throttle body. Though there are ridges in the intake hose, the diameter is almost 1.5 inches or more larger than the throtle body, thus its able to flow about 80% more than the TB is able to. Also, being as the air going thru the intake is moveing relatively slowly, the ridges are not giveing much in the way of a restriction.

2. May 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Coming from the civic si forum, we had multiple test and dyno runs that was done with a larger factory intake hose with ridges from a different model and came to the conclusion that the larger air intake hose provided a larger volume of air thus giving better performance.

Although on a different test, less air disturbance from the lack of ridges provided the MAF with a better reading that resulted in better performance.

3. May 18, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    He did? LoL :p

4. May 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

The OEM intake it came with is (in most cases) going to be the best - sounds crazy but here's the real deal -

The reasons anyone makes a "cold air intake" are:
    1) To sell you something that "looks cool" and makes noise (keywords - sell you something).
    2) Because "Fast & Furious" was just such a cool movie and "you gotta be like them, dawg".
    3) You'll think your ride is that much better than the next one just like it (they made thousands of em).

Now back to the real deal -

Most "cold air intakes" are misleading to begin with. If the filter is an open element (you can see the filter) and it's under the hood, it is actually a "hot air intake" (in other words - they lie and sell you something). When was the last time you ever felt a cool breeze under the hood of a car/ truck? A true cold air intake has to take in air from an ambient source - aka outside the engine bay. If you want one that bad for the "cool factor", or if your car/ truck doesn't breathe from outside the engine bay, find one that fits that description.

The air that the OEM (the one it came with from the factory, or Original Equipment Manufactured) air intake breathes in is usually from just behind the grille itself, or sometimes from a fenderwell. This "air charge" is actually cold (or ambient temperature air), as hot air will just drop your ignition timing (because of pre-ignition or detonation) as the temperature of the intake air increases, and take all your HP with it.

Let common sense help some on deciding just how good an aftermarket part or system is:
    1) Why would the Manufacturer short you on the performance it could have for an extra $100?
    2) If you gained MPG with a simple piece of tubing and a "one size fits all" air filter element - wouldn't they do that at the factory that built the vehicle?
    3) Who do you think has more money and resources for Research and Development - the company that designed and built the entire vehicle, or the company that made that "cold air intake"?
    4) If something you could buy and install yourself would actually add HorsePower and MPG, why would any vehicle manufacturer waste millions designing it the way they did (and lose the edge on the competition)?

Add to that the water protection that a stock OEM air box is designed to provide. Water intrusion is a HUGE concern to prevent damage, and here's the reason, air compresses and water doesn't. If an engine breathes in water, and tries to compress it, it will break in a big way.

Some "cold air intake" kits have a water intrusion valve that is basically a ping-pong ball in a sleeve - good luck trusting an engine to that. I know where they got the R&D on that design, just open up a wet/ dry shopvac and you'll see the same thing. Amazing how brilliant these things are when you dig.

5. May 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    Thairon

Thairon New Member

Member:
    Gig Harbor WA
    Vehicle:
    I had the TRD CAI in my FJ and it had more power and got better mpg's(and sounded nasty). And my intake temps dropped according to the scanguage. just my 2 cents

6. May 18, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    prob what happened to me. buttttttt....it sounds better and there is definitely better throttle response. I live in the nanny state and im just gonna put the old crap back in when it comes time. then put the URD back in right after. Screw you feinswine!

7. May 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    I have a TRD cai. I get better throttle response with my cai. i don't regret getting it. however, i do think that if you are going to go the cai route, you definitely need to upgrade the exhaust (single exit not duals). more efficient in and more efficient out.

8. May 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    I have a URD on my X-Runner and it seems to have more HP and runs alot better then the stock intake.. As for smog, it will take me about 45 min's to put back the stock intake box

9. May 19, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    Out all the people on here that have a CAI has anyone actually gone and had it dynoed? I mean if we want the truth I would think having it dynoed would quickly dispel any fallacies. If the dyno before the CAI was less and the dyno after is more then there you go. I know I saw an episode of Two Guys Garage installing a Volant CAI on a GMC Sierra. After the install they went and had it dynoed (although you never saw the Dyno of the truck before the CAI install) and after the dyno they had gained something like 23hp and some odd torque amount. I don't know. I may start a separate thread to see who has actually had the Tacoma dynoed before and after a CAI install.

10. May 19, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I dynoed a few CAI's. THe TRD gave the largest gain of around 5+ hp..And the rest were less than that. I cant find the dyno sheets, or remember the exact numbers. I havent tested the URD intake, but I have no reason to doubt Gadgets numbers.

11. May 19, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:

Maybe I should just lean toward a cat-back system instead:D

Products Discussed in

To Top