1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling All Engineers!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by taconinja, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Oct 13, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    taconinja

taconinja [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4
    Are there any engineers out there? I was graduated in April with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology and a minor in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh. I am coming up on 6 months of employment at a major US coal mining company and have opportunities for higher education. I hope to test for my FE in April or October. After that, I would like to pursue a Masters in Business or Engineering. I will then test for my PE once my 4 year apprenticeship is up or I receive a recommendation. I will be replacing my mentor's 30+ years of experience as the Pilot Plant Manager and Chief Engineer at our R&D facility. There is a lot of upward mobility in the company and I believe the MBA may be the way to go.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I am fielding any and all advice from those more experienced and knowledgeable than I. Thank you in advance!

2. Oct 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I'm currently going to school at Penn State Erie for engineering...didn't declare yet but I'm 95% sure I'm going to declare Mechanical.

3. Oct 14, 2008 at 6:15 AM
    mlcasey

mlcasey Active Member

Member:
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Red TRD sport
    I just graduated from NC State last May in ME. I work for a company that makes parts for over head power systems for light rail and trolley cars. I too am planning on getting my PE I passed the FE last year, and I am also considering a MBA. A MBA where I work now wouldnt do me much good because im the only person here with an engineering degree but the other "engineer" has 30+ years of experence in the industry. In a large company I think an MBA would open up lots of doors for management and those big bucks. Good luck!

4. Oct 14, 2008 at 7:15 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I don't have much more experience than you, but I can attest that the FE is much easier if you take it right away.

Products Discussed in

To Top