1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling ALL Lift Experts (I know another thread)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by WhiteWiddow, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    WhiteWiddow

WhiteWiddow [OP] a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 V6 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    Same ish everyones doin
    Lift Experts im new to TW and need your help... I have stocked TW for the past 6 months and searched all the different types of lift thread so I apologize in in advance but I was unable to find my answer in the other suspension threads and am torn.

I am looking for more cosmetic look as I will only be doing moderate off road ish but at the same time I don't want to lose my stock ride (maybe even get smoother) I plan on runnin 285/75/17 BFG AT. I don't want to do a cheap lift and have the trouble of replacing parts later due to ware and tare quicker then normal. I want to do it right the first time. I have looked at billy's 5100's, OME lifts, ToyTech, Fox. Kings and Icon with blocks/spacers and AAL's. With the 3" lift that im looking at it seems it would be wiser to get UCA's so thats my plan. There is so many options that i'm torn. I plan on keeping my 06 V6 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4 for a while as it only has 32k on it but it looks like an old man whip stock. Please give me strict direction as to what I would be needing. I appreciate all your knowledge in advance and again sorry I could not find my answers in any thread.

[​IMG]

2. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    toytec ultimate 3" lift!

3. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    WhiteWiddow

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Same ish everyones doin
    Thanks for the post - Why toytec ultimate 3" lift though over the rest that I listed? How is the ride? I mainly want to keep the smooth ride, if not smoother. Sorry for the questions but I wanna be 100% sure on my choice. Thanks again VooDoo.

4. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Full OME lift with Dakars and LR UCAs

Your welcome

5. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    Yea man no problem. The toytec is the easiest way to go (everything included) as well as being relatively cheap compared to others. If you have the means to, you could go somewhere else but if youre not offroading ALOT this is the way to go IMO. Do some searching around here and you will learn lots. Also, you will be able to fit your 285's

6. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    You're*

7. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Lol

Touche

8. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    WhiteWiddow

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Same ish everyones doin
    Idaho&hoe - again i've searched it, i read numerous threads that start out good and get lost with sarcasm and BS... Billy's with AAL, i've looked into em. Not meaning to be a dick but i've heard with AAL in the rear it makes the ride stiffer and is billy's really gonna give me a true 3"? I want to do this right the first time. For the rear I would prob do a new leaf pack eventually. Again appreciate your input.

9. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    wolfdog2314

wolfdog2314 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Eibach coils. 5100's all around. AAL. WickedFlow
    The lifts that were all just reccomended were done so because you asked for a decent lift, that will provide a good ride for the intended use u described.

Now that you know a couple lifts that will provide u with what your looking for.... Use the search tool to research them.

I'll add... Bilstein 5100 and Eibach spring combo.

Happy lifting!

10. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    WhiteWiddow

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Same ish everyones doin
    Gents - maybe I was unclear in my first post. I have searched the prices on ToyTec, Billy's with AAL with UCA's, Fox 2.5 W/RR and Money for this mod isn't an issue for the most part. It appears that most of you that have posted to this like Billy's and AAL. WHY? Why not go with Kings, Icons, Fox, ToyTec? Like Idaho&ho said, im not wanting to do an overkill lift that I wouldn't use but if Im doing it right the first time is it worth spending the extra coin? Appreciate your guys quick info. I know I got a lot to learn and Im sure I will get better with my search functioning skills. thanks again

im off to bed. pce all

11. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OP , I have the OME set up with 885's and Dakars , plus LR UCAs on my DCLB 4x4

Good lift , good ride

12. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    ^this... is a dependable and capable set-up.

13. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    sounds like moderate offroading is mudholes/dirt roads, so just get a spacer lift/AAL and call it a day. my 1st lift was a revtek 3" spacer lift, and had no problems with the lift "moderately offroading" at all. As far as losing your stock ride> its a truck so it will ride like a truck. IMO it comes down to how much you willing to spend and what you think is best> so let the mod bug keep biting and get something you think is good enough for your needs. i could not tell a huge difference in ride qaulity from the spacer lift to the toytec's i have now on pavement but on ruts and mogules it made enought difference at certain speeds. so i ask you > how much actual off roading are you going to do and how hard are you going to push your truck off road ? if your going to beat the shit out of your truck get at least toytec's (remember that they aren't rebuildable) but they will last a good number of yrs or spend a few dollars more and get icons/saws that can be rebuilt, as far as rears go, don't skimp there, get a leaf pack. BTW UCA's are the way to do to keep your caster/camber in check. So good luck in your decision. Sounds like $ is not a deciding factor in this decision> if that's the case then i would suggest ICON stage 3 kit
    http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/ICON-05-Up-Toyota-Tacoma-Stage-3-Suspension-System-p-27883.html

BTW good luck in deciding !!!!

14. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    The more expensive coilovers you list provide additional heat dissipation capabilities you likely don't need, at the expense of additional money and additional maintenance.

Most folks who run them end up setting them for less than the full 3" you say you want, because it rides better and keeps more downtravel.

But hey, if you're determined to get "the best" by all means knock yourself out and support our local competition shock shops.

15. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    A "soft" replacement leaf pack in the rear will definitely ride better than an AAL, but at the expense of cargo capacity.

I'm not fully convinced that an AAL rides worse on pavement than an "expedition" leaf pack such as Dakars.

16. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Because Kings, Icons, Fox, Toytec will be overkill for what you need it for. Oh and Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit is billys 5100 btw just with whatever spring they have set up with it. If money isn't a problem then go LT and get it right the first time...

..wait..that will be overkill...

You're just being indecisive right now and I'm sure any type of lift kit will ruin your stock ride quality.

17. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    ^ This.

You suck at searching. There's a sticky, with a lot of good info, under the same section you posted this thread. If you did a "search" maybe you would find it.

18. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    I went a different route... I have 5100's all around, fronts set at 0.85 with an Eibach 1.6" lift spring, and a 2' AAL. When I first lifted with the stock UCA's I ended up at 2.6-2.7" of lift, but when I added the UCA's it ended up at damn near 3" (I'm at 23" hub to fender). It rides much, much better then stock. It's firmer, but smoother if that makes any sense. It's a great set up in my opinion, and didn't break the bank.

19. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    WhiteWiddow

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Same ish everyones doin
    Thanks for all the comments, it will be a tough decision but im prob gonna go overkill just incase I ever end up rolling with my other buddies that have pretty legit setups.

Products Discussed in

To Top