1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling all Spinal Fusion TW members

Discussion in 'Health' started by CrippledOldMan, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Jul 20, 2020 at 10:39 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bummer
    Hope it heals quickly :fingerscrossed:

2. Jul 21, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    PugetSoundTaco

PugetSoundTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Highlux
    Yes, hello.

I am doing good, surgery went well and I’ve been getting better each day. Doc told me no walking more than 1 hour total each day from the 14th-29th, so I’ve been doing that in small increments. Ditched the meds and walker and am able to walk on my own using only a back brace. Thankful to have had my wife home all week to help me. For now I won’t be going back to work until the first of September but that is subject to change at any time.

Although I can walk, I can’t bend, twist, kneel, etc. for the next few weeks so just trying to navigate not doing those things. I’m taking this very seriously because I do not want to go back for another surgery if I screwed this on up by not following directions or thinking I’m good to go when I’m not.

Thanks for asking :thumbsup:

sbx22, lynyrd3 and tcjacado like this.
  3. Jul 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    CrippledOldMan

CrippledOldMan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    I hope that your at least using a cane for walking around. It's a great helper for keeping you balance, almost like a third leg. I still use one to this day, even when I go on my 3 mile walks. I do pick it up and carry it in my hand when I'm on a flat stretch of road, but still need it for the slight uphill climbs. Good luck on your recovery, and be safe.

lynyrd3 and PugetSoundTaco like this.
  4. Jul 21, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    PugetSoundTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Highlux
    I need to get one, but I am not using my walker anymore because I have to lean on it because I am too tall for it’s highest setting. Going to look one up now :thumbsup:

5. Aug 12, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
  6. Aug 12, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    It's going pretty well actually. I have my good and bad days, which is to be expected after 4 spinal fusions. But I'd have to say that the good days are outnumbering the bad ones. I'm walking about 15 miles a week, 5 days 3miles each. Right now the humidity is killing me. Most mornings temp is about 73 degrees, and humidity is 85-90 percent on average. It's like walking in soup. One good part is if the breeze blows, which isn't very often, it almost feels like air conditioning on low. I did have to take a couple of days off, I have times when my back gets so stiff that I can't hardly move. If I had to guess, arthritis is setting into my lower back. Already having issues with both hands joints in my big toes and other foot problems. One big favor I did do for myself was buy a good pair of running shoes to walk in. I did quite a bit of google fu and decided on the Brooks Ghost 12 mens running shoe. They fit very well, are lighter than a feather, and superbly comfortable. It takes my body about 3/4 of a mile to loosen up, and get comfortable, if that's really possible. Then I feel pretty good until the last 1/2 mile or so. But I refuse to quit or give up. My goal is to reach 180 lbs body weight. Floating round 200 right now. It might take me 6 more months, but what else do I have to spend my time on. Ya'll have a good one.

FYI for all you fellow back pain, if you don't own a Tens Unit, get one. There are days that it's literally a life saver. If you don't know which one, I'll post you a link for the one I have.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  7. Aug 12, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    @PugetSoundTaco sound, How about giving us an Update, and letting us know how things are going. I hope that you getting out and starting to walk. Start small and work you way up. I started just walking up and down my drive way about 10 time, twice a day.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  8. Aug 12, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    PugetSoundTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Highlux
    Since the 14th of July I am only allowed to walk 1 hr a day, I usually break that up into 3 or 4 walks throughout the day to keep me moving. No bending, twisting etc since my surgery. I am still experiencing a lot of pain shooting down my leg and the Doc has moved up my second post op appt. by 2 weeks which is tomorrow. The pain I am getting is sharp and focused on my left upper buttocks area and shoots down my leg, very similar to what I was experiencing before. I am pretty nervous for tomorrow and what my future holds. I am scheduled back to work on the 1st of next month but am rather nervous to return because my job is very physical, (climbing ladders, lifting >15lbs all day long, kneeling, bending, twisting etc). I worry I may rupture my disc again and be in a lot of pain. Wife and I have had a few lengthy conversations about 'what-ifs' regarding my job and if I should continue working as a mechanic or look elsewhere for a longer term solution that is easier for me. Not feeling very good about a lot of things regarding that but I am nearly in my senior year toward my bachelors in environmental science/sustainability. Completing that will hopefully open more doors for me should I need to find a new path.

TLDR;
    Still having back pain, I have another follow up tomorrow with my Doc. Wife and I are trying to prepare for what my future may hold should I need to find a new career path.

lynyrd3 and tcjacado like this.
  9. Aug 12, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    07RedTacoDawg

07RedTacoDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Jamestown , NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Red Tacoma
    2 inch lift , tires and wheels
    Hope everyone heals up fast. I had a fusion about 15 years ago and it worked pretty well for quite some time. Im now getting to where my arms constantly tingle and my legs feel like they are on fire. Guess im due for a return visit.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  10. Aug 12, 2020 at 6:03 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    According to my Neurosurgeon, fusions generally last about 10-15 years tops, before something wears out and needs replacing. Might sound weird, but I'm hoping for a visit from the Grim Reaper before I have to go through this shit again. Jon, I would seriously consider doing anything other that mechanic work. Too hard on your body. I had a friend in Louisiana that screwed up his back when he was 19. Had to wear a body cast for almost a year. He was a diesel mechanic all his life until he had to quit and go on disability. He still has a lot of problems to his day. I'm hoping for the best, like we all do, that can all get some relief from this "Hell" and get something of a life back. I have finally come to accept that my life is never going to be what it used to be, and I hate to say this, but for most of us, this is the new "Normal". We just have to make the best of a bad situation. I pray almost every night, that god will give some of us some relief. I can't remember everyone's name anymore, so I just ask him to help all my fellow human beings who surfer the same as I do.

lynyrd3 and PugetSoundTaco like this.
  11. Aug 12, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    PugetSoundTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Highlux
    Well said, I always hope for the same for other too because it is a miserable place to be in. Lately I feel mentally drained dealing with this, which isn’t normal for me.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  12. Aug 12, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    I've had people ask me during difficult times in my life, wether it's the loss of a job(Many times), divorce, back issues, you get the picture. And they always want to know how I keep going on. I asked them, what do you expect me to do, crawl under a rock, sit in a dark room and bawl my ass off because things aren't going as planned. I usually tell them it's not me that keeps me going, but my Faith. Somehow I always keep going on, put one foot in front of the other and repeat. It's not an easy process, but I think it's built in most of us, in our DNA, to not be quitters. I always think of the poster "Foot Prints in the Sand", and then thank him for picking me up and carrying me along until I can manage on my own again. He's done it so many times, I can't remember them all any more.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  13. Aug 12, 2020 at 11:31 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    Here's question I've always wanted to ask other spinal fusion patients. How bad was your pain when you woke up from surgery. On a scale of 1-10, you know the drill. I'll go first. This last surgery on 1/30/20, when I woke up my pain levels were so bad I could barely breath or move. I couldn't even open my eyes because my body was so tensed up. I think this one was the worst of all 4 of my operations. I was being very verbal about how much pain I was in, and used some slightly foul language. I kept begging her to stop the pain, please give me something to stop the pain. She kept telling me to be quiet, that there were other patients to consider. I just kept telling her please give me something stronger, please stop the pain. If I had to give a number it would be "50". I'm not kidding, I wanted to pass out, anything to make the pain go away. It was shooting down my left leg, and felt like 220 volts was moving up and down my leg. I have no idea what 220 volts feels like, maybe I should say it felt like being struck by lightning that wouldn't stop. You get the idea, the pain was unbearable, period. If I could have gotten my hands around her neck, I would have strangled her to death. Finally after much begging and pleading, they knocked me out, and I woke up later in my room, and yes the pain levels were down 60%. I had asked prior to the surgery, and too multiple people, I want a morphine pump waiting for me in the recovery room, which had been provided for surgeries #2 and #3. I learned the hard way from #1 that the pain you experience when you first wake up is off the charts, and brutal. After 24 hours they came in my room and told me to get up and start walking around the ward, and nurses station. I did exactly what they asked, because I wanted to go home, and I knew from the previous 3 surgeries, Walking and then more Walking, and more Walking would help me go to the Toilet, and that was my ticket home.

Sorry for the long rant, but I've always wanted to ask others, how their experience was waking up in the recovery room. Like I said above, surgery #1 was pretty dam bad as far as the pain went. Surgery #2 and #3, they had a morphine pump waiting for me, and once that was hooked up, nighty, nighty everyone. But after this last one, I went off on the Surgeon and his staff members when they finally came to check on me. I told them that I was very pissed off that a pump was not waiting for me lIke I had requested. But of course that's water under the bridge since it was already over and done. My recover from day two has been remarkable, I'd get up and do 5-10 laps, 3 or 4 times a day. I became bored laying in my room and would get up and walk more. Funny thing is, I never saw another patient in my wing up and walking. I asked a few nurses, if we're all back surgery patients, and she told me yes, the majority of the people in my wing were either spinal fusion operations, or brains surgery. The 4 days I was there, never did I see another person up and walking. The Nurses told me they can't force the patients to get up, only recommend that's whats best for them. Again sorry for the long rant.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  14. Aug 13, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander

Excellent good to hear!

I was prescribed a tens when I got smashed.
    It is definitely a must have for those days!

I dont remember how much pain I was in when I woke up. Other than I couldn't move. I dont think i had any because of the meds that I was. I do t really recall pain untell it was time to take a shit! I'll never forget that!

lynyrd3 likes this.
  15. Aug 13, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    @TXpro4X4 ,, yeah brother, I've been through the below statement 4 times, they all sucked.

"I dont remember how much pain I was in when I woke up. Other than I couldn't move. I dont think i had any because of the meds that I was. I do t really recall pain untill it was time to take a shit! I'll never forget that!"

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  16. Aug 13, 2020 at 3:55 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Just general thoughts...

I wouldn't let a bad experience years ago stop me from getting treated again if something else comes up.
    Remember that spine surgery was pretty much in its infancy still in the 90s-00s.
    The methods, devices, and even the way surgeons are trained have come a long way over the years and it all continues to advance.

Growing bone (fusing) can ache plus the aches from any muscles, tendons, etc that had to be moved out of the way to get access to the spine. (remember having "growing pains" in your youth). There can be side effects of medications or anesthesia too for some people that play into it.

If you think something isn't quite right, talk to your doctor. If you don't like the answer, try another doctor for 2nd or 3rd opinions. Doctors can make mistakes and implants can fail (like any other person or product). It's always a risk like anything else.
    There are lots of people that walk out of the hospital feeling great (or at least much better) after a procedure.

lynyrd3 and TXpro4X4 like this.
  17. Aug 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    Well I for one am glad that I finally found a surgeon that appears to know what he's doing. I haven't felt this good in years. Just being able to go outside and walk for an hour for exercise and general well being is a blessing in disguise. As a side note, I'm hoping to drop some weight while I am it. For those of you in the same boat as myself. Like tomacher stated, don't give up. Keep looking for a good doctor, and don't stop looking for one.

lynyrd3 and TXpro4X4 like this.
  18. Aug 20, 2020 at 11:08 PM
    Epic3rdgen

Epic3rdgen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A-A-ron
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACab OR
    +2 TC LT Fabtech 6’’ bracket w/4link on 40’’ KM3-s Raceline Wheels
    Wow what a wild thread! I’ve had 4 spinal fusions as well. Motocross is hell on the body and I still race. This January I’m going to race legends class AMA district 37 with the dirt diggers. As I’ll be 50 in December.When I wake up from surgery they keep the anesthesias there to administer the ketamine. I usually hyperventilate and pass out. Then it’s the morphine drip button every 15 min. You then get up start walking laps around the nursing station with that darn back brace on and start trucking. You finally poop and get to go home. I have always used UCI orange for my surgery’s. Have a neurologist do my surgery’s. The new technology is awesome. 20 days later im off the meds and trucking. Keep the faith guys there is hope. I’m also a widow Maker survivor at 43 with 5 heart surgery’s and 3 stents. Just had A-Fib ablation surgery in December 2019 and that was a success. I run 4-6 miles a day on an elliptical and my meds keep me in top shape. My cholesterol is in the 40s ya my vitamins are working, and the nuk med I just had came out clear.. stay positive I say. Your back pain and heart disease is curable. I should be dead so every day for me is a bonus. And that’s my 2c

TacoZmtn, lynyrd3, TXpro4X4 and 3 others like this.
  19. Aug 26, 2020 at 12:04 AM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    @Epic3rdgen dude, I can't believe that your still riding motocross. I gave up bike riding because of my back and the advice of my doctor. I used to ride about 3k miles a year, and believe me it gave my body a dam good cardio workout. Rode a 20 speed Ultegra full carbon road bike. Man I loved that thing. I had a great group of people that I rode with regularly. We'd average about 17 mph on a 60 mile ride, which in my book was okay with me. I did the Blood, Sweat and Gears ride up around the Boone area in N.C. , (48miles) that was the toughest bike ride that I ever did, but the scenery was out standing.

lynyrd3 and Epic3rdgen like this.
  20. Sep 11, 2020 at 11:09 PM
    CrippledOldMan

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    haven't heard anything from this thread in a while, so I thought I'd ask. How's everyone doing. Getting outside and walking, getting exercise, generally getting better with time. I'm doing pretty good considering I'm a 10 level fusion. I've been walking now for 7 months, which I'd say 5 of those have been doing a mile plus. In the beginning I just walked up and down my driveway. On a positive note my weight is down to floating between 196-200 lbs, which means I've lost at least 15-17 lbs since last year. My goal is to reach 180 just by walking and changing some of my eating habits. I've been trying to eat 4 meals a day, smaller portions, and I even have a snack in the middle of the night to shut my stomach up so I can go back to sleep.I have a young friend of mine in his mid 30's that recently hurt his back. We've been talking back and forth, and he's asked me for advice on what to do. First thing I told him since he wasn't getting better from rest and muscle relaxers, was to go and get an MRI done, which he did.I keep telling him to stop stressing out about this until he knows for sure wether there's a problem or not. I told him the MRI will show everything going on in his spine, and if there is a serious issue the doctors will see it. I also told him to get a copy of it, so that if someone suggests surgery, that he go and see my Neurosurgeon with MRI in hand. So let's hear from some of you and give us an update on how your doing. And remember, it takes time for these operations to heal properly, and don't over do it. I've got to have surgey on both of my hands in the next 6 months. The bottom thumb joint by the wrist is gone, carpal tunnel in both hands, and trigger finger that won't go away. The Orthopedic hand specialist is going to fix my left hand this coming Thursday, and that hand will be out of commission for about 6 months for the recovery period. If that goes well, then I'll let him work on my Primary hand(right handed), and from everything I've read about on the Web, I should be good to go. I hope so.

TXpro4X4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top