1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling all Virginians (Tidewater area)

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by Alaskaflyer, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM
    CharlesCity

CharlesCity Self Preservation? What's that mean?

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    A couple of years ago I would go to Oregon Inlet when you didn't need to pay for a pass. Only went a few times since they figured out they could rape people for the privelige. I believe it was $35 to drive on the beach there last time I went for a week? and a year pass was hundreds. Lots more room on the beach since then.......

Are there areas on the Outer Banks that are Fee Free? I would love to go back but don't like the idea of paying to drive on the sacred ground.

2. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    upload_2016-8-18_18-23-17.jpg

3. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:26 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    I think you can still drive north of Corolla for free.

4. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    Thanks, I will have to check that out.

5. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    Naw just figured they'd all flock here and I could say hi lmfao. You fuckers and your false advertising. Or this is a big ass group of virgins just not the virgins I'm looking for? Hmm either way I was thoroughly disappointed when entering this thread. :redxfall:

6. Aug 18, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    Michgnxj24

Michgnxj24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB
    Jeraco Cap, Viair OBA
    There wasn't a charge when I was there last. That was in February though.

o0oSHADOWo0o[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM
    Berniebikes

Berniebikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bernie
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White TRD OR Double Cab
    A myriad of regulations, some beach driving without permit is allowed in the winter, location dependent. here is a synopsis. Don't screw around with the Cape Hatteras National Seashore stuff, the feds don't play........

Corolla - 4x4 vehicles can access the beach at the Northern end of NC 12 where the paved road ends. 4x4 access North of this point is permitted year round. 4x4 access South of this point is permitted between October 1 and April 30. Driving at night is allowed. Overnight parking is allowed if the occupant is actively fishing. ATV's allowed for residents with permit.
    • Duck - No public 4x4 access. Private access allows vehicles vehicles on the beach between October 1 - April 30.
    • Kitty Hawk - Driving on the beach is prohibited.
    • Kill Devil Hills - Driving on the beach is permitted with permit between October 1 - April 30 through designated access points. Vehicles must have current safety inspection, registration, insurance and license plate. Obtain a beach driving permit either from the Town of Kill Devil Hills or the Town of Nags Head. Through a reciprocal program, each town recognizes the beach driving permit issued by the other.
    • Nags Head - Driving on the beach is permitted with permit between October 1 - April 30 through designated access points. Vehicles must have current safety inspection, registration, insurance and license plate. Obtain a beach driving permit either from the Town of Kill Devil Hills or the Town of Nags Head. Through a reciprocal program, each town recognizes the beach driving permit issued by the other.
    • Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco, Hatteras, and Ocracoke - The beaches of Hatteras Island and Ocracoke Island are managed by the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Permits are required, and can be purchased online and sent via mail, or in person at one of the following locations: Coquina Beach office, Cape Hatteras Light Station, and the Ocracoke Visitor Center. Each vehicle must have its own permit. Vehicles must be registered, licensed, insured, and have a current safety inspection if required in home state/country. Vehicles must have low-pressure tire gauge, shovel, jack and jack support board. A spare tire, first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, trash bags, flashlight and tow straps are recommended. ATV's are not permitted. Night driving is generally allowed from November 16 through April 30. See current access ramps and beach closings by visiting this page and clicking on the "daily beach access map". Obey all posted signs.

Carova - One of the most notable locations to drive on the beach on the Outer Banks is the small village of Carova, and the neighboring beach communities of Seagull, Penny's Hill, Swan Beach, and North Swan Beach. (Although visitors will find that generally the majority of locals simply refer to the entire area as "Carova.")

To access the 4WD beaches of the Carova coastline, visitors simply take the sand ramp located at the very northern end of Corolla. From there, they can enjoy miles of beach driving, scenic ocean views, and if they're lucky, a glimpse of the wild horses, the area's first and most treasured local residents.

[​IMG]
    Day on the beach in Buxton (Cape Hatteras National Seashore)

Nags Head, Kills Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk - The central Outer Banks beaches of Nags Head, Kills Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk generally also allow beach driving, during certain conditions. Beach driving in these popular areas is restricted to the off-season winter months, for the safety of beach-goers, and a town driving permit may be required depending on the location. Virtually hidden ramps are located along the beach road, next to public access, and winter vacationers will find they have miles of open shoreline to explore. Even if you're exploring the central Outer Banks beaches on foot, the wintertime is an exceptionally attractive time to go, as the area is not quite a ghost town, with plenty of restaurants and shops still open, but the beaches offer ample elbow room for fishing, shelling, or just enjoying a long secluded stroll.

Hatteras Island and Ocracoke - The Cape Hatteras National Seashore which comprises the beaches of Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands also offers miles of shoreline for beach drivers to explore, all marked by brown, National Park Service managed "ramp markers" that indicate the mile and entrance point of every beach ramp along these islands.

These beach access ramps begin with Coquina Beach, located just a few miles north of Nags Head, and extend all the way to the Ocracoke Inlet ramp, which literally borders the town of Ocracoke's city limits.

In between, vacationers will find a dozen seasonally open beach access ramps, including 4 in between the tri-villages of Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo and the town of Avon, one in between Avon and Buxton, one in the heart of Frisco, and one on the very southern edge of Hatteras Village that leads out to Hatteras Inlet.

On Ocracoke Island, visitors will find a handful of beach access ramps that begin just 100 yards or so from the ferry docks, and are located throughout the island all the way to the Ocracoke Inlet ramp. Because of Ocracoke's unique geographic location, the time it takes to get from the edge of the entrance of the beach access ramp to the oceanfront itself can vary greatly. For example, near the ferry docks, it's just a quick drive across the dunes to access the beach, but on the ramp closest to the village, drivers can expect to travel a long sandy road, (easily travelling a good mile), before arriving to the oceanfront.

All of the beach driving areas and ramps on Hatteras and Ocracoke Island are open seasonally, meaning that during certain times of year, (specifically in the summer months), some areas may be closed for threatened species that are breeding, or sea turtles that are nesting. The National Park Service has a weekly updated map on their website, which outlines the areas of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore that are open to pedestrians, vehicles, or both, and summer visitors are encouraged to check out their website to confirm which beach driving areas are open during their vacation.

Ramps are marked in Cape Hatteras National Seashore on Hatteras Island. Permit required.
    [/paste:font]
    4x4 Access Permits for Cape Hatteras National Seashore
    Beach drivers on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore will need to obtain a Beach Driving Permit before hitting the shore, and can be purchased online and sent via mail, or in person at one of the following locations:
    Coquina Beach office, Cape Hatteras Light Station, and the Ocracoke Visitor Center. Each vehicle must have its own permit. Vehicles must be registered, licensed, insured, and have a current safety inspection if required in home state/country. Vehicles must have low-pressure tire gauge, shovel, jack and jack support board. A spare tire, first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, trash bags, flashlight and tow straps are recommended. ATV's are not permitted. Night driving is generally allowed from November 16 through April 30. See current access ramps and beach closings by visiting this page and clicking on the "daily beach access map". Obey all posted signs. To acquire a permit, a prospective beach driver must watch a 10 minute video regarding beach driving rules and regulations, and pay a weekly or annual fee, depending on the beach driver's preference.

Once a beach driving permit is secured, drivers are encouraged to pay close attention to the NPS rules and regulations which are posted at the entrance point of every beach ramp on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The rules are easy to follow, and include such guidelines such as maintaining (or not exceeding) a certain speed, keeping pets on a leash, tire pressure recommendations, or other general NPS rules.

The reward for jumping through the local hoops is access to some of the islands' best beaches, which are sparsely travelled and offer unparalleled shelling, fishing, and gorgeous oceanfront, sound, or inlet views.

DaveEli, Wild Crow and o0oSHADOWo0o like this.
  8. Aug 18, 2016 at 4:40 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    Thanks for that BBikes

9. Aug 18, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    Berniebikes

Member:
    First Name:
    Bernie
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    I have a current permit of the Cape Hatteras seashore. That only means I can drive on the beach if otherwise not prohibited. The regulations change daily. The feds will open/close access at various points based upon their daily review of birds/turtles/fish and anything else god knows that strikes them. A ramp access may be open today, closed tomorrow, or even middle of the day when you are on the wrong side of the line! be careful in Cape Hatteras national seashore area. Other areas in the outer banks are still regulated, but not changing so much.

10. Aug 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    VB15AS

VB15AS Member

Member:
    Its 50 for the day, or 120 for the year, I go down a lot so the year pass is more reasonable for me to get. Was really wondering how the Tacoma handle the sand. I'm really trying to get down there this weekend

11. Aug 18, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    YankeePirate

YankeePirate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lef
    Farmville, VA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5
    3" Lift (Bilstein 5100s, OME 886s, Deaver U402 leaf springs) , KMC 18" Addict wheels, BFG All Terrain T/A Tires, Demello Off-road front and custom rear bumpers, winch, Satoshi Grille. That's it... for now.
    I just got back from a beach trip. It is $50 for a week or $150 for a year. The year passes expire on 31 Dec no matter when you got them. I think I hit every ORV ramp on the OBX though! At Kure Beach near Wilmington there is a 4x4 beach that you can drive on for $15/day.

12. Aug 18, 2016 at 5:19 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    The first time i went to the Outer Banks and Drove on the Beach in my 2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 (completly stock) I sunk at the entrance. Father in Law drove by laughing at me. Someone else pulled me out. I had spent years wheeling in the mud and didnt know to air down for the sand. Big Mistake! No problem after letting some psi out. Tacomas I saw out there did fine.

I'm looking forward to testing the Tacoma but wont make that same rookie mistake.

13. Aug 18, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    07 taco13

07 taco13 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    CHESAPEAKE, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 trd sport
    I can get it tomorrow anytime after 3 if that works for you or this weekend

14. Aug 18, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    Berniebikes

Member:
    First Name:
    Bernie
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    everybody gets stuck some time. last year was with a guy that bragged about never having been stuck on the beach. He pulled off in an area of soft sand and I pulled in behind him (looking for a spot to fish). We went ot leave and an he mired down to the frame. I tried to pull out and no go. Locked axles and still no go. Finally got the guy a few hundred feet away to pull me out, but he got stuck. Another guy in a 2 wheel drive came along and stayed on hard stuff and pulled my friend out, then we spent an hour shoveling the first good Samaritan that was in double cab diesel chevy and stuck to his frame rails out, till we coaxed a jacked up new Ford truck with enough ass to pull the Chevy free to yank out our first savior. Whole thing took about 3 hours and I gave all my beer to the the guy in the Chevy. Morale of the story is everyone gets stuck sometime!

15. Aug 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM
    VB15AS

VB15AS Member

Member:
    Yeah it's crazy down there, between surfing and fishing down there I've seen a lot. I had a 2006 f150 stock and that thing did well but my family taught me always to air down so only got stuck trying to get stuck. Letting air out is key but I'm sure the Tacoma is up to it. Use to see a lot of locals driving the real old Toyota pick ups flying up and down those beaches. So I'm sure they where on to something.

16. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM
    YankeePirate

YankeePirate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lef
    Farmville, VA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5
    3" Lift (Bilstein 5100s, OME 886s, Deaver U402 leaf springs) , KMC 18" Addict wheels, BFG All Terrain T/A Tires, Demello Off-road front and custom rear bumpers, winch, Satoshi Grille. That's it... for now.
    I got stuck AF on my trip. It was embarrassing as hell but I learned a lot from it.

17. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    Mako99

Mako99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco Sport
    I was just there in July....the beach was packed and the sand was loose....it was a lot of fun as I passed the AWD crossovers all stuck in a row.

18. Aug 19, 2016 at 2:32 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    Does anyone know the actual pass/fail regulations for VA state vehicle inspection? Specifically regarding lighting.

19. Aug 19, 2016 at 3:25 PM
    CharlesCity

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off Road
    If the lights turn on you should be good :thumbsup:

20. Aug 19, 2016 at 3:28 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    More along the lines of fog light color. I failed last year because I had the Nokya yellow lamps in it. Was told no yellow, but I thought something was said about amber fogs being ok.

Was thinking about staining the glass amber, because clear light in fog sucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top