1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camera Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by mar_ga_rita, May 16, 2009.

?

Which is better Camera

1. Nikon

27 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Canon

24 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. May 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    mar_ga_rita

mar_ga_rita [OP] Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 PreRunner TRD
    BUG SHIELD BULL BAR OFF-ROAD LIGHTS 4-RUNNER FOG LIGHT SWITCH K&N EYE OF THE TIGER ON THE BACK GLASS TONNEAU COVER
    Alright so I did a little research on the internet and wanted yalls opinion....

I am looking at buying a new camera and don't know which to get:

Nikon D60

or

Canon

Which do you suggest

2. May 16, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    nikon has a great D series. personally, thats what I prefer

3. May 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Nikon.....Thats what my Wife uses and swears by....

4. May 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    IMHO, it's a personal preference, for me it's Canon. Talk to a Nikon user and it will be Nikon. Both make spectacular cameras and lens. Do you want to step to a SLR or a high end point and shoot? What type of photography are you going to shoot, family, kids sports? Go to http://www.pbase.com/cameras, choose Nikon or Canon and look for the camera you are considering. You can go through the photo galleries where these cameras have been used. I found this a great tool shopping for new lens. Than go to http://www.dpreview.com/ and read the reviews on these cameras, DP review is completely unbiased, they give only the facts like consumer reports but for cameras. As far as pricing goes I have found http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ has always given the best deals but shop around. I can tell you that you won't beat BH's customer service. Before you buy anything go into a Best Buy or a camera store and handle both, get a feel for what you want. Another suggestion, before you buy any kit, check out the reviews on the lens that is coming in that kit.

5. May 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We've had a Canon Powershot G2 since they came out. I think they came out in 2001? Haven't had any problems with it. It's been on the trails with us many times, thrown around in glove boxes, packed in suitcases, etc. With the abuse we've given it, I'm amazed it's still working and working as it did when new. We've had to replace a couple batteries, as they lose their effectiveness to hold a charge - but hell, we've had that camera for 8 years. We have a lens extension on it that we never take off. We bought that primarily to protect the lens.
    We still have the camera and use it fairly regularly.

Since we started playing airsoft - we needed a smaller camera to carry around with our gear. The G2 is too big to stuff in your pocket. So we bought a $99 Samsung L100. It's been a great camera for what we need it for.

We also like Sony. It all depends on what you're looking for in terms of capabilities, & cost.

6. May 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    mar_ga_rita

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    BUG SHIELD BULL BAR OFF-ROAD LIGHTS 4-RUNNER FOG LIGHT SWITCH K&N EYE OF THE TIGER ON THE BACK GLASS TONNEAU COVER
    Iam looking to just take nice pics... SLR is my preference... I am looking at the Nikon D60 friend has one and his dad is a wedding photog and he uses a Nikon something or other.... and he started with Canon 5 years ago when he began but switched over to Nikon about a year later because of the Pixels or something and the lens are easier to find because he said they go back 25 years

7. May 16, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Canon or Nikon both make good products - either way you'll get a great camera.
    It is a matter of personal preference. There are small differences in the way they handle and shoot - photographers develop preferences because they like the control layout better on one, or maybe the menu system works better for them (I like Canons menus better, but some swear by Nikon.)

Go to a good camera shop and talk to the staff, handle the cameras and see what you like. (But if you do that - buy from them even if it's a little cheaper on the net.)

One thing to consider - why is your preference for a DSLR? If you just want a camera to take some nice pics, consider something like one of the Nikon or Canon compact cameras. I own a Canon digital SLR and a Canon G9 Powershot. I use the Powershot FAR MORE than I use the SLR. I have it with me when I go backpacking or biking, and shoot a lot of pics. When I use the SLR, it is more of a production and not nearly as spontaneous. The G9 takes great photos. The only thing the G9 can't do that the DSLR can is clean images in low light conditions.

What is your style of shooting going to be like? Do you want to pull a camera out of your pocket and get a shot, or do you want to carry a bag with lenses and gear so you can set up an wait for the right moment? People tend to think that the big DSLR takes better shots because.... well because it's bigger, but that's not always the case. In fact, in a lot of situations you could use the smaller camera - but the client wants to see the big iron come out. I had to shoot photos in a baseball field facility recently, and I wanted to use the G9, but had to take the DSLR because I knew the client had to see me with a bunch of equipment. Your friend's dad who is a wedding photographer has different needs and shooting style than you do, so you may not need a DSLR. The best camera is the one you actually use!

So ... having said all that, here is my suggestion. Get one of the better compact cameras (I love my Canon G9 - Nikon makes an equivalent), take a bunch of photos with it and get an idea of what your shooting style is going to be like. When you start to feel that the compact is not doing the job, then shop for your DSLR. That way, you'll have the compact as a back-up / pocket camera.

My DSLR sits in a bag in my closet, while the G9 gets used and abused, in fact I would sell it if I didn't need it for an occasional client job.

Hope this helps.... even if kinda long winded.
    Oh, and definitely check out www.dpreview.com

8. May 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    i have a d60.. its awesome.. get a d90.. more features. ive had cannon before and cannon is good too. but the nikkor lens that come with nikkon are awesome

9. May 16, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Okay, the time old question for cameras.... heres my take:

My equipment is primarily Nikon... why?

-Ease of use....
    All the buttons I need are perfectly within my grasp. I just shot 800 photos at a wedding tonight and never went into a single menu. Quick buttons and function buttons are in the right spots!

-Color
    Nikon's tend to bring out bolder colors, especially reds. I'm a color guy, so I like this.

-Compatibility
    Most all Nikon SLRs are F mount. Now this doesn't mean EVERY nikon lens will work with your camera perfectly, but most AI lenses made from 70-somethin forward, will work with basic metering. Only exception to this rule is the D40.

At my work, I have access to a Canon 30D, the camera is GREAT, don't get me wrong. It always produces crisp pictures, moreso than the Nikon IMO, however I can't find my way around the damn thing, and I constantly find myself accidentally shifting the EV because of the huge scroll wheel on it. Most of the features I find easy to change on my Nikon, are found in menus on the Canon, which takes up precious time that you may not have if you're shooting sports or weddings. The other thing I find is Canon is alot more expensive for decent lenses. As far as I know though, all mid to upper level Canon bodies are metal, proving more durable. Some Nikon's are an ABS body, which I haven't had an issue yet, but I pray to never find that day when I drop my body and the mount shatters.

Anyways, hope that gives you a little input. You won't go wrong with either, but chances are whichever you choose, you won't find yourself switching to the other brand, simply because of cost.

10. May 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    I have a Canon Rebel XSi, and for the price, I think it is the best camera available!! :D

11. May 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    Forthedogs

Forthedogs Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    First mod-license plate frame reads... "Driver carries no cash-wife shows dogs"
    Canon XSI. Versatility is the reason. It is like the Swiss Army knife of digital cameras. My two pence.

12. May 19, 2009 at 3:35 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I remember when I wanted one of those so bad, I'm glad I didn't. I don't have any experience with the Xsi but I'm sure its not much different than the XT. They take great pictures, don't get me wrong, but just not enough speed in them.

13. May 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    mar_ga_rita

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    Yea friend has the New Rebel and I really like it... I am thinking this is going to be the route that I take.

14. May 20, 2009 at 5:59 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I've been a Canon user for 28 years and have never been disapointed.

As stated above, it all comes down to personal preference.

My recomendation is for you to go to a reputable camera shop that has most, if not all, cameras made by both Canon and Nikon, play with them each a little bit and buy what feels best in your hands. They all basically have the same functions and features, but the buttons and menues may be in different places.

It is my opinion that Canon offers a better and larger line of high quality lenses, and the Canon cameras are well known for their ability to shoot at high ISO's with minimal image noise.

15. May 20, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    fttank

fttank Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 6-sp TRD OR Super White
    I vote Nikon, but it depends. For SLR, I prefer Nikon and won't shoot anything else. The images I can capture at ISO 6400 with my D3 can't be achieved with a Canon. For digital point & shoot, Canon rules.

16. May 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    I have a canon SD870Is and I cannot get the damn thing to take good pics. I have changed every setting from manual to auto and back and the pics still look fuzzy. The shutter speed is slow no matter what I change it to. Could be just me most likely.

17. May 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    fttank

fttank Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like it needs to be worked on. Send it to Canon.

18. May 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    fttank

fttank Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Save some money and buy a D40. It is a much better camera. Read reviews at www.kenrockwell.com or www.bythom.com

19. May 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    "I cannot get the damn thing to take good pics."

Did you buy it at a local camera store?
    You could take it in there and ask them to assist you with it.

20. May 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    SiRMarlon

SiRMarlon The Photo Ninja!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    I shoot with a D70S and a D200...I love Nikon :) and I use nothing but Nikon lenses!

Products Discussed in

To Top