1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper Shell Options For My 2013 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by weatherbox, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    weatherbox

weatherbox [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Southern California
    I'm looking to get a camper shell by the 29th of this month. I will be driving up the coast of CA and camping in the back. I'm not going to be in any sort of harsh conditions except that it does get hot here during the summer months.

I looked at Leer and I like the 100xl. I think that because it has sliding windows and removable screens that I should get enough ventilation to sleep in the shell. I am wondering if anyone here has had this cap and could recommend some accessories that might be worth investing in like the interior liner, etc. Maybe there is a better camper shell for what I am looking to do? I looked at A.R.E but I am not familiar with the brand at all.

2. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    I doubt you can get one that quick even if you order one right now. I have a leer xr, which I love. They told me 2-4 weeks. I believe I recieved it in 2 weeks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    cstallings

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    Oh yea...I have a electric actuator on my lock. Best investment ever...

4. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    weatherbox

weatherbox [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Southern California
    Thanks! I was thinking about the 12 volt light already. Seems handy. I will consider the headliner for sure as well as the pet screens.. I plan on getting a dog soon so might as well prepare.

5. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    weatherbox

weatherbox [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Southern California
    awe well its looks like i'll be in the tent instead then. thanks man i'm going to at least look at them in person and get more information today.

6. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    clc clc

clc clc Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 reg cab tacoma/2020 subaru crosstrek
    I forget what leer i have but i added the thule rack and the 12volt power outlet in the back. If your camping sleeping in the back def get the outlet. One thing i woukd change is doing the bedrug all around. With my setup and a cot i was extremely comfortable but this was months ago.

7. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Another vote for the carpet liner/rug. And also for the power lock actuator.

8. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Carpeted interior , removeable front slider and consider a commercial rated cap if you intend to put much weight on the roof racks

9. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Don't give up on the shell until you ask your local dealer first. When I ordered my Leer, it only took a week to arrive and that's color-matched. I know they have a facility in northern CA which may be able to get you what you want in time.

10. Jun 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    Tacoma VT

Tacoma VT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    OME 884s, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL (with overload in), Rear leaf TSB, ImMrYo mirror relocater, ARE Z series cap, Hi Lift jack W/ DIY mount, trimmed Mud Flaps, Devil Horns by Andres, EGR In-Channel rain guards, LED bed lights, Weather Techs
    [​IMG]
    I have the ARE Z series. It flares at the end for a larger opening. It has a tilt down sliding rear window. Good for allowing the dog to poke her nose into the cab, then fold down and clean her drool. The side window is a split window. It opens at the end and the split breaks up that one piece window look. The Z series is a really tight fit and rather light. You will want the carpet headliner no matter what.
    :cheers:

11. Jun 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    weatherbox

weatherbox [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Southern California
    OK, so I went to a couple different stores and checked everything out. I was quoted just over 2,000 on a snug top rebel with the upgrades in question at a store in Escondido. However, I found a nice store in San Diego where the guy quoted me 2,033 dollars for a Leer XR with these upgrades:
    roof rack, removable & sliding window, pet screens, carpeted interior (included), 12v light (included), installation & lock actuator. He also offered to lend me something comparable for my trip free of charge until I get my actual Leer in.

I think this is a pretty stellar deal? What do you guys think. I am going to be pulling the trigger today or tomorrow because I leave Friday. Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

12. Jun 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    cstallings

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a good deal, but even better customer service. I have a leer xr with carpet, pets screens, sliding removable back glass, 12 volt light, and lock actuator. I paid right at 1900 out the door. This was the best deal I could find around my area. Wish I would have gotten a roof rack, but I assume I can always add it.

13. Jun 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    cstallings

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Be sure to look for coupons on the leer website. They usually have something on there.

14. Jun 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I have the 180CC.

Its been a great shell. Got it in 08.

For me the pull out front window was a waste because I have never really had to pull out to clean. Also the 12 volt light my dealer used was POS and did not take long to break. Have them wire it but look for a better one. Or at least ask to see the one they install and ask if they have a better one. And the 12 power supply was a joke. I guess that is another dealer supplied item? They mounted with only one screw and it poked out in the way. Again if you want one have them wire it but look for a better one.

YES on the carpet.

One last thing order a can of LPS #3 to spray in the locks and they will last forever. And spray in once a year before winter. Also works great on cables and chains. Just don't use the #1 or 2 they are for different things.

http://www.amazon.com/LPS-LABS-00316-INHIBITOR-HEAVY/dp/B000Z34GWK

Products Discussed in

To Top