1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper shell question about the front window and cleaning

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Huha, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Apr 26, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Huha

Huha [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd off road
    Arm rest organizer, dash cam, popnlock, anytime backup cam
    So I'm in the market for a used camper shell. As someone who has never owned either a metal or fiberglass topper, is it possible or way too hard to clean both windows in between the cab and the topper with a fixed front window. A drop down or at least a slider seems like a great idea for cleaning or do you just find another way to clean them? Just narrowing down my options on a used topper because it's hard to find one with all the features I want.

2. Apr 26, 2021 at 8:57 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    I have an ARE topper. I can crawl into the back, flip two tiny levers and the back window will pivot down on hinges to allow me to clean the exterior side of both windows. having said that, I bet I have crab-walked under there a total of 4 times. hahahha. it just isn't high priority.

lemme know if you need a pic..i can shimmy under there and do a quick wipe down while I am there.

EDIT!!!:::well CRAP! thanks..now you just stuck the bug in my ear and I am now WANTING to go clean the glass. thanks.

wilcam47 and Huha[OP] like this.
  3. Apr 26, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    I've always had fixed front windows (going back to 1986) and have never worried about or been bothered by not being able to clean the windows.

In my opinion, a fold down window is just one more potential leak point.

Ainapo, Gen3TacomaOBX and Huha[OP] like this.
  4. Apr 26, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    Evostaco

Evostaco Jack of some of the trades, master of maybe 2

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2021 tacoma offroad, mt, superwhite
    A towel on a stick

Huha[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 26, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    Huha

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd off road
    good point thanks

6. Apr 26, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Leer has window that comes out so you can clean them both

7. Apr 26, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    Gen3TacomaOBX

Gen3TacomaOBX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    S
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR 4x4
    Bilstein 6112 front / 5100 rear shocks, Headstrong AAL, Firestone airbags, 4.88 gears, OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, remote start, any-time-backup camera w/ front facing camera, Leer 100R shell (w/e-track single slot tie-down mounts for removable Yakima EasyTop), Husky liners, window tint, heated seat (passenger only.) Relentless bed rail brackets with QuickFists (shovel & axe) Hondo Garage Un-holey vent mount. CH4x4 switch for front camera and 'anytime' rear camera. Billet front mount seat risers. Bed mounted 4 lb fire extinguisher. Viair 88p. 265/75r16 Goodyear Ultra-terrain tires. Custom Sliders.
    Purchased a new 2018 Tacoma and bought the Leer shell about 6 months later. When I wash the truck (at a conventional ol' school wand car wash) I shoot between the cab and shell and haven't thought any more about it. You might be over-thinking the challenge. Congrats in advance on finding a shell.

8. Apr 26, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    Huha

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd off road
    171174521_1081684475673609_7462820953162_c9c9d23956eab395197d4165303a4e5836192f69.jpg
    I'm looking at this exact one right now. I missed out on many used topper sales already because I was indecisive with the options they had. Seller wants 2k. Has most of the features I want. It appears to be the ARE mx series I believe. The only thing holding me back is the price and it looks weird with the hi rise shell, but you get a little more headroom with it. Curious how much you guys would be willing to pay for this one with no leaks or any issues. Also what do you think about the carpet headliner option?

9. Apr 26, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    mine leaks a bit (the topper) but the front hinge down window isn't one of the places water creeps in. I think that area is relatively blocked from direct rain or hose spray. either way, I just turned a wad of paper towel black..it was dirty in between there!

10. Apr 26, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    Gen3TacomaOBX

Member:
    First Name:
    S
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR 4x4
    Bilstein 6112 front / 5100 rear shocks, Headstrong AAL, Firestone airbags, 4.88 gears, OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, remote start, any-time-backup camera w/ front facing camera, Leer 100R shell (w/e-track single slot tie-down mounts for removable Yakima EasyTop), Husky liners, window tint, heated seat (passenger only.) Relentless bed rail brackets with QuickFists (shovel & axe) Hondo Garage Un-holey vent mount. CH4x4 switch for front camera and 'anytime' rear camera. Billet front mount seat risers. Bed mounted 4 lb fire extinguisher. Viair 88p. 265/75r16 Goodyear Ultra-terrain tires. Custom Sliders.

You should like what you buy... especially if you're spending $2k. I have a cab height topper as I'm in urban areas with parking garages quite frequently (or at least I was before the pandemic.) If parking garages aren't a concern then I would welcome the additional height and storage capacity. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think it looks pretty cool imo. For a cost reference.. I paid ~$1800 installed for my paint matched entry level Leer.

11. Apr 26, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    About once or twice a year I loosen the clamps and slide the cap back about 6" to clean the front of the cap and rear window of the truck. It can get pretty nasty in there if you let it go longer.

The front window on the cap on my F150 comes out making it a lot easier to clean, but there are still spots I can't reach. I don't move the cap on it nearly as often, but it still needs to be done.

It is an easy enough job. You don't need any help, just get in the bed and lift up an inch of so with your back and slide the shell back and forth. Takes longer to loosen and retighten the clamps than anything else.

I don't want any bells or whistles. Just a cap that locks. I do like THAT raised roof. Some I do not, especially the wedged shaped ones. $2K is more than I'd spend. I see basic caps selling used for $200-$500 all the time. I only paid $900 for my Tacoma's cap new, of course that was 2007. I paid $1400 for the one on my 2014 F150.

12. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:00 PM
    markgphoto

markgphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma ArmyGreen TRD Pro
    I took my shell front window out and just have a gasket to the cab window.

13. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:02 PM
    Gen3TacomaOBX

Member:
    First Name:
    S
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR 4x4
    Why? That'd make sense if you have people or pets that you're trying to climate control.

14. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:05 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    It’s kinda a lost cause cleaning in that gap. When I pulled my leer 100r after 10 years to install my DIY wedge camper the back of my cab was covered with moss despite me regularly pressure washing and trying to shove sponges and stuff in the gap.

I also live in the PNW so moss grows on everything.

15. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:06 PM
    Gen3TacomaOBX

Member:
    First Name:
    S
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR 4x4

Edit: Forgive me, I thought you were the guy with the 2020 responding to my question about why he removed the front window of his shell.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  16. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Worked for a decade just fine, washed right off. My advice is give a good coat of ceramic or wax on the back of the cab and rear window before installing the topper.

17. Apr 26, 2021 at 11:04 PM
    Huha

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd off road
    That's a great idea!

18. Apr 27, 2021 at 3:52 AM
    markgphoto

markgphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma ArmyGreen TRD Pro
    My Tacoma is a daily driver and my work truck. As a school photographer, I carry a lot of equipment that needs to be secured from theft and weather. Some of which are over 5' in length. Even if the weather is nice, its a PITA to crawl into the front of the bed to open the window so I can slide my backgrounds in. Its also nice to be able to run to Lowes to pick up a couple of 2x4s.
    My truck also represents by business, so looks are important. Having a black rubber gasket between the shell and the cab looks a whole lot nicer than a big gap between the two.
    I got used to the benefits of having one on my 86' Toyota Pickup. Drove that thing for close to 20 years and it never leaked.

Mtn Mike likes this.
  19. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    Huha

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd off road
    So the guy selling me the are camper shell was willing to drop it down to $1500. The only problem is that I got a really good deal for a RSI smart cap and already placed the order. Now I have to decide if I want to save money or get the new and shiny RSI topper.

20. May 9, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    rizrox

rizrox Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR AC 4x4 AT
    FULL BUILD BELOW (hover cursor here) ----------------------- BUILD UPON DELIVERY (all OEM) Premium OR Package Technology Package LED Headlights and Fog Lights All Weather Floor Liners Door Sill Protectors 5" Oval Tube Steps Black Exhaust Tip Black Mud Guards Remote Tailgate Lock Tailgate Insert Black Bed Mat Bed Lighting Kit Glass Breakage Sensor ——————————————————————— MODS AND ADDITIONS JDMCAR Glove Box Organizer JDMCAR Center Console Divider & Tray SaBellCo Tailgate Lock OEM Spare Tire Lock Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners OEM 4x4 Badge OEM Blackout Badge Overlays OEM Bed Header 3rd Accessory Rail Cubby Covers by Mike Williams OEM Bed Header Rail End Caps Sealed Weatherproofed Bed Rail Caps A/C Drain Hose Mod Bedside Outlet Pigtail Extension Cord DECKED Truck Bed Storage System w/Locks Snugtop Sport Hi-Liner Camper Shell (debadged) Cord Management BottlePro Cup Holder Adapter BCP 4” Full Folding Mattress ESI Rok Block and Ultimate Tailgate Seal Glow-in-the-Dark Camper Bed Indicators CBoy808 Gloss Black OEM Style TRD OR Bedside Decals YakGear Tailgate Lift Straps OEM Pro Grille & Garnish Yakima SkyLine Shell Roof Rack Cab Floor Dewalt T-Stak Storage Boxes and Carpet Covering Paracord Gear Lines and Carabiners on Camper Shell Ceiling CA Heritage Black & Yellow License Plates Yakima FatCat EVO 6 Ski Rack / Dakine Aero Rack Pads Custom Tailgate Pad Custom Tailgate Drink Holders Offroam MagSafe Magnetic Charging Phone Mount SeaSucker Vacuum Mount Hand Grips for Inside Closing of Snugtop Hatch Petite Café Curtain Rods with Custom Camper Shell Curtains and Tieback System COVERKING Saddleblanket Custom Seat Covers: Black BF Goodrich KO2s
    Hey all. Any thoughts on why the slider latch is on the OUTSIDE of my flip down Snugtop front window? You either have to flip it down to open or do it from the cab. Thoughts?

Products Discussed in

To Top