1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper shell wiring step-by-step (Picture Load warning!!)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by majorhavok, May 27, 2013.

1. Apr 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    xmesa

xmesa Member

Member:
    does this install method cause your third brake light to blink along with your turn signals?

2. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok [OP] Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Good point, the connectors really don't matter as long as they are of sufficient gauge. Yours sound as good as mine.

3. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    I like the idea of the continuous hot wire for the dome but the easy access and location of the left brake light worked for me. I never did run a dedicated wire to the back from the battery for air but that was the original plan.. oh well.

4. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    That sir... looks sweet!

5. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    Not sure about you, but I love little projects like this!

6. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:49 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    Only if you do it wrong. the third brake light should do exactly what the regular brake lights do with this configuration.

7. Jul 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I opted for the easiest solution - I just never wired it. The state doesn't say I have to, so I didn't. My air is under the hood, but I would like a plug in the bed eventually.

Hi-Neighbor! likes this.
  8. Jul 13, 2016 at 8:49 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    I was lucky in that mine came with the 110v bed plug. What do you use for air compressor and res?

9. Jul 13, 2016 at 10:05 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
  10. Nov 2, 2016 at 5:26 PM
    sawjai526

sawjai526 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vincent
    Bayarea, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB OR 6spd
    thank you @majorhavok , I finally tackle the brake light 2 years later.

No drill, used some spare waterproof connector i had lying around.
    [​IMG]

11. Nov 4, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    ooanti

ooanti New Member

Member:
    My camper shell came with a little LED dome light, and they installed it for me when putting on the shell. With that said, it sure looks like they tapped into a hot wire without running a new one from the battery (meaning there is one) behind that left brake light fixture. It is independent of the running lights, no keys in ignition, etc. I do have a tow package so there is a chance the wiring being tapped into is from that, but I would need to further investigate.

This is great for a little LED light! Problem I face is that I want more plugs so I can run a few things - USB chargers, couple more lights, the stuff you want when sleeping in the back. Risk, as we all know, is running the starting battery dead while using these little things and then having a really good charge on the phone and lights all night long, but no starting power on the truck.

I am looking at a second battery setup for this exact purpose with an isolator and ability to put a solar panel on the roof to trickle charge while truck is sitting. It is worth saying that if you want to run stuff off of your starting battery, most starting batteries are not meant to be run to dead and charged again over and over. This kills the batteries. Deep cycle batteries exist for this reason - so for a second battery, I would go that route. Tons of other threads on dual batteries.

So many things to do, none of them necessary. Ughhh

12. Nov 10, 2016 at 10:20 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    Any chance you could take a pic of the trailer harness?

13. Nov 20, 2016 at 7:21 AM
    dershov

dershov New Member

Member:
    Thanks so much for the post! I am not really an electrical kind of guy but this makes it doable and look forward to wiring it up this afternoon. I do have a question though. Using this method, if I unplug the quick connect will my original brake light still be operational? (If I ever need to remove my truck cap for my motorcycle?)

14. Dec 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM
    dziner

dziner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100 (front) | OME 885 springs | Bilstein 5160 (rear) | OME Dakar medium leafpack | JBA UCA | Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75 R16 | ARE Z-Series topper | Renogy 100W solar panel | SnoMaster TR42 fridge | sleeping platform | Mobtown sliders | Custom Car Grills grill insert
    Thank you for this write up and pictures. I plan to tackle this over the weekend. I've been putting this off for a while now. Mostly due to feeling this os overwhelming. Even had a local shop order a 4-pin connector for the Leer cap I bought. I'm going to use your post as a guide and to get my 3rd brake light connected, dome light connected, and run power/install LEDs in the cap for camping.

15. Dec 1, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    I could be wrong but I'd be careful running power off that circuit. I would imagine the rest of the stuff your running would be fine (LEDs ect)
    Edit: I think I misread your post. Your running power to your LEDs correct?

16. Dec 1, 2016 at 12:17 PM
    dziner

dziner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 (front) | OME 885 springs | Bilstein 5160 (rear) | OME Dakar medium leafpack | JBA UCA | Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75 R16 | ARE Z-Series topper | Renogy 100W solar panel | SnoMaster TR42 fridge | sleeping platform | Mobtown sliders | Custom Car Grills grill insert
    Yes, I'm running power to LEDs. Hopefully I can tap into power from my trailer harness for that as I'd like to be able to use them while camping in the back without having the keys in the ignition.

17. Dec 5, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    dziner

dziner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Note to self: Thoroughly read post before beginning project.

"Granted with this method you have to have the running lights on, but now I have a bed light!"

That one line set me back a few hours. My buddies and I tested the trailer harness on my 2014 Tacoma TRD OR and found no power without the ignition on. I know the risk of leaving a light on and having the battery drain. But if I'm camping in the bed of the truck I simply can't have the ignition on to simply turn on a light to see what I'm doing.

We ended up running a 16-gauge power wire from the battery with an inline fuse to the rear of the truck. I routed this from the engine bay, along the brake lines, through and/or inside the frame to the taillight assembly. It was a pain in the butt, but it's a solid power source that is now running power to the cap dome light and to the LEDs I installed along the roof inside my cap.

Since I will have 6 wires running between the bed and the cap: (2) for the 3rd brake light, (2) for the dome light, and (2) for the LEDs, I purchased this MSD 8170 6-pin connector to make a quick disconnect if I ever should need to remove the cap. It will be nice having just 1 connector instead of multiple connectors.

18. Dec 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    df001

df001 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    this is exactly what I was thinking of, except I want to try and find a flush mount connector (female) to mount in the bed panel, with a right angle connector to wire to the cap, so that if/when I take the cap off its super clean.

dziner[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    Rabicano

Rabicano Member

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR, DCSB
    Awesome write up, this was super helpful for me to wire up the used Leer top that I bought. I don't know if there's really much difference, but I was advised to splice the camper ground into the ground wire going into the light rather than ground it to the metal behind the light. I was also able to run the wires from the light through the seam in the bed composite shown in @sawjai526 's picture. Thanks @majorhavok!

Has anyone else had problems with a Leer top leaking around the third brake light? Water was streaming in there every time it rained. I used some clear silicone to seal it up, but I would think that Leer would build these tops to be better than that?

20. Feb 21, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    ready6delta

ready6delta REGULAR GUY

Member:
    First Name:
    JACOB
    Finally back in the PNW! Lake Stevens/ Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Black pinstriped 2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    IT NEVER ENDS..........
    Subd for if I do mine!

To Top