1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper Shell?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by B_brand, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    B_brand

B_brand [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
    I have an ARE Camper shell on my truck. I will post pics as soon as I wash it. :) I am wondering if anyone else has had to seal between the tailgate and bed? I find that quite a bit of dust gets through the small crack on either side of the tailgate. I think some foam might work but does anyone have a better idea?

2. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    B_brand

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
  3. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Dirt and rain get in. I am not impressed with my ARE cap. Rear window started to leak after 1 1/2 year. I will be resealing it myself.
    The seals from Cabela's looks like a good idea. So does the cartridge to slow the tailgate when opened.

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    LaTeM

LaTeM Everyday Trollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    MeTaL
    Jersey Shore, NJ!!!
    Vehicle:
    '10 4X4 Lifted 4Dr Pre-X-Runner
    What stuff you look at, I need some tips myself! thanks

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tailgate-Gasket-Seal-Keeps-Your-Truck-Bed-Clean-Dry-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414da2f0c5QQitemZ280475398341QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

This is the stuff I picked up...comes in bulk...no retail package. So far, so good...I have had it on for 3 months and it still looks good. I can't give you an long term results yet, but the adhesive strip is super sticky.

I hope this helps!

John3

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jun 7, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    wvmountaintop

wvmountaintop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Hampshire County, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 Door LB Sport
    Weather Tech Floor Mats, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Belt Chime Mod, Extra D-Rings under Bed Bolt, ARE MX Topper, Bed Rug
    I just had a new ARE top installed on mine and I had my tie down cleats stored under my seat so they wouldn't go missing before I got my top installed... Well I went to use them yesterday and realized that because of the way the lip of the top hangs over the bedrail on the inside that the tie downs will no longer fit into the rails... This sucks and IMO this is pretty poor engineering on ARE's part. I’m hoping that the mini tie downs on Toyotas website will fit under the lip of the top otherwise my bedrail system is obsolete because of my very expensive new top… And in addition to that I think all the locking hardware for this top is just damn cheap crap! I have a 14 year old aluminum ARE top on my old truck and the hardware on that unit is way more stout… Kind of disappointed in my purchase. Gonna get on the phone to ARE and raise some hell tomorrow and hopefully convince them to purchase me four Toyota mini tie downs... If they are not receptive to my idea I will just have to start a new thread of my own and perhaps prevent someone else from making the same mistake... BRAND NEW ARE TOPPER IS JUNK!!! How's that for a thread title?

7. Jun 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Ocean's

Ocean's Well-Known Member

Member:
  8. Jun 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I have an ARE top and was able to get my tie downs to work, I just had to loosen them off more to get them to clear the lip when they slide.

Shawn

9. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    B_brand

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
    Mine is the same way, but if you look at the edge of the topper you can see some places where you can put the tiedowns back in. You have to loosen them out a lot but mine seem to work fine. If you want to move them you have to take them out instead of sliding them.

10. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    B_brand

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    B_brand

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
    I am pleased with the ARE shell though. The color matched my truck perfectly and the shell is great!

12. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've got the SnugTop SuperSport and have been very pleased with the quality. As far as the issue of dust comeing in from the edges of the tailgate I fixed it on my truck by putting some foam weather stripping along the edge of the taillights to seal up the space on both sides...this has really cut down on the amount of dust comeing in.

13. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    wvmountaintop

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Hampshire County, WV
    Vehicle:
    Weather Tech Floor Mats, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Belt Chime Mod, Extra D-Rings under Bed Bolt, ARE MX Topper, Bed Rug
    Thanks. I'll try looking at it more carefully tomorrow and see if I can get them on. I was trying to secure a load in the back and was really frustrated that I could not get those suckers to go back in correctly. I could get them in the rail by loosening them all the way out but when tightening them they were against the fiberglass lip of the top and angled down. I really didn’t want to clamp down on the edge of the top for fear of stressing it at the weak edge of the lip. If the lip were trimmed 3/8” more I would have no problem but for what this thing cost me I feel I shouldn’t have a problem in the first place. It’s just poor engineering IMO… I assume ARE is aware that all the Tacoma’s have the bed rail system and that they should engineer their tops NOT to interfere with it…. I do appreciate the replies guys and will make another attempt to get them to work before I contact ARE to bitch.

14. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    wvmountaintop

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Hampshire County, WV
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the color match was good and the top itself seems to be well made but the hardware is flimsy compared to my 14 year old ARE aluminum top. That thing was a tank and light enough I could get it on and off the truck by myself. I got the Windoors (plus tilt rear sliding window, roof rack and head liner) on my new unit for accessing stuff in the front of the bed and I love the feature but the hardware here is also cheesy… I do like the top but I am disappointed with the hardware. Not very secure at all and I fear it will break too easily… But what do you expect for $2000.00… On the other hand I also got a Bedrug and that thing is sweet. Might go camping this weekend and try it out for sleeping…

15. Jun 8, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    I have an ARE Z shell. Like others said, the bed rail hdw will work with some fiddling- or it does with mine.

16. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    How much does a truck cap weigh? I was looking at the Snug Top cab-hi.

Products Discussed in

To Top