1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper shells on trucks and California DMV fees

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Evil Monkey, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Feb 25, 2022 at 8:16 AM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    We will see how it goes in Sacramento. According to the local team, I don't have a snowballs chance in hell. If they deny it I will try your alternative solutions

2. Feb 25, 2022 at 8:20 AM
    IEsurfer

IEsurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    I was able to get this done 2 years ago thru aaa in rancho Cucamonga, my buddy tried at the same aaa office a few months ago and they adamantly told him they no longer do it

Crom and kgarrett11 like this.
  3. Mar 28, 2022 at 8:31 PM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB

Update: New plates and registration came in today! Guess that DMV employee didn't know what the hell they were talking about lol. If they give you a hard time, just insist they send it in to the corporate office in Sacramento :jerkoff:

Crom[QUOTED] and des2mtn[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Mar 29, 2022 at 5:15 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal 760
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tundy (play toy), '15 Taco (work horse)
    Dude, that's awesome. :yes:

kgarrett11[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 13, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    GoldenTaco27

GoldenTaco27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Long Beach Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road
    @hungoverland on IG, King 2.5" EXT Travel w/ Archive Garage shock relocation, Icon RXT leafpack, 285 Nitto M/T's, bronze Raceline Defender wheels, TJM front/rear bumpers, TJM Sliders, Prinsu Cabrac, Katzkin leather, RSI Smartcap EVO topper, OV Tuned, MESO everything, Spyder headlights and tail lights, center mounted infant restraining system (CMIRS) \m/
    Im trying this later this week at AAA, keeping my fingers crossed.

6. Jun 13, 2023 at 4:37 PM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Just renewed my taco for the year… $55. Nobody asked about my topper either. Hmmm.

GoldenTaco27 likes this.
  7. Jun 15, 2023 at 4:21 PM
    GoldenTaco27

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Long Beach Ca
    Vehicle:
    @hungoverland on IG, King 2.5" EXT Travel w/ Archive Garage shock relocation, Icon RXT leafpack, 285 Nitto M/T's, bronze Raceline Defender wheels, TJM front/rear bumpers, TJM Sliders, Prinsu Cabrac, Katzkin leather, RSI Smartcap EVO topper, OV Tuned, MESO everything, Spyder headlights and tail lights, center mounted infant restraining system (CMIRS) \m/
    My paperwork could not have been processed any smoother/faster at AAA. I went in right when they opened with my title, my registration renewal (due in 2 weeks), and the DMV paperwork mentioned in the previous posts. I thought I would have to wait until the DMV recieved/approved the paperwork to pay the reduced registration, but I was out of the office with new plates and registration tags for $80 less than my renewal stated. They didn't inspect my truck at all-- just has a RSI Smartcap Shell and homemade platform. Couldnt be happier with outcome, just wish I did the 4 years ago when I put my first shell on.

Crom, El Tano and des2mtn like this.
  8. Jun 25, 2023 at 8:55 PM
    Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy I miss snow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A truck
    Just came across this thread by dumb luck.

Remember that when you are doing this, you are certifying that the truck will not be used to haul anything. My understanding is even if you pull out the sleeping platform to “haul” a small dresser, or really anything, you are violating the terms of owning a passenger vehicle.

Stupid? Yes. But if you across a LEO who is in a bad mood, you are going to have a bad day, probably worse than just paying the commercial rates.

9. Jun 29, 2023 at 2:23 PM
    GoldenTaco27

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Long Beach Ca
    Vehicle:
    I think my chances are pretty good... the chances of getting pulled over (been the better part of a decade), on the day I haul something substantial, by a cop that notices and is concerned that my truck skipped the commercial fee are all pretty slim I think.

Just_A_Guy[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 29, 2023 at 3:06 PM
    Firn

Firn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White OR
    Sorry, jumping in here since this thread is very interesting.

Does anyone have the law that originally classifies a truck as requiring the fee? Everything I see says "commercial" which is surprising then that a vehicle not engaged in commerce would be subject.

To the same point the post at the beginning of this says trucks that haul a camper are SUBJECT to the fee so how does a camper shell remove the fee?

11. Jun 29, 2023 at 3:13 PM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja
    Came in to say this

according to my research, permanently mounted means it needs to be affixed permanently...aka not a clamp or bolt on, but structurally integrated, or welded on. From what I looked into, it's up to the DMV person who inspects the truck to determine whether you pass or not.

I looked into doing this as did may others, and many decided it's more hassle than it's worth. Takes months, could get rejected, and if you pass you can no longer use your truck to haul anything larger than the space within the shell at risk of a heavy fine.

12. Jun 29, 2023 at 3:14 PM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    It's pretty easy to spot these trucks that have been re-registered as personal, license plates are different. Whether the cop that spots you feels like pulling you over...that's a crapshoot and one I don't wanna take part in lol. If you have a personal plate it gets easier to fly under the radar. But then you're paying more money for that, which offsets the savings.

Personal plates are #XXX### while commercial plates are #####X#

x = letter, # = number

EDIT: based off replies it seems this is working pretty well for many people. glad to hear that it can be subverted. I personally will continue to pay the weight fee.

13. Jun 29, 2023 at 3:16 PM
    GoldenTaco27

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Long Beach Ca
    Vehicle:
    I know Econoline vans that dont have rear seats (unsure about ones with seats) are also charged the commercial fee. I began building one out for a camper setup and added a third seat with the intention of getting the fee removed-- all the "van lifer" forums mentioned this as well.

That obviously doesn't answer your question, but adds some additional context. My understanding is that trucks and panel vans are assumed to be commercial until proven otherwise. California would rather charge too much than not enough haha

14. Jun 29, 2023 at 3:23 PM
    GoldenTaco27

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Long Beach Ca
    Vehicle:
    My experience was as simple as I could have asked for-- I was in and out in 30 minutes or so. I guess I do ride that line that I could be pulled over on a slow day/week/month, but I feel like the police have bigger fish to fry in california. I could also get pulled over for my tinted windows, a much more obvious infraction, but havent had that either.

Now, almost certainly, I get pulled over on way to work tomorrow for both haha

15. Jun 29, 2023 at 3:53 PM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear it's that easy nowadays, may keep it in my back pocket for the future.

Police def have bigger fish to fry, but sometimes you get caught up in it lol. Not a risk I wanna take hopefully not one you ever have to either.

GoldenTaco27[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Aug 14, 2023 at 5:55 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    DMV quoted $310 registration for 2008MY

how much are people actually saving per year registration doing this?

if only $25-$80/per year reg that is not a lot to be lighting candles and demonstrating you can take a shit on top of your bed in front of the DMV employee

17. Aug 14, 2023 at 7:33 PM
    Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy I miss snow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A truck
    I mean I was paying $150ish a year for a 10+ year old economy car. It only gets so cheap.

My vote still goes to this being a waste and not in one’s best interests.

18. Aug 17, 2023 at 8:30 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Year 10 now, and $800 saved. Registration was $166 for my '09

19. Aug 18, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    TacoTyusday

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I mean I guess I can see it being worth it if you're fully dedicated to the build/your truck, and get it handled early. I don't think I'd do it myself though.

Products Discussed in

To Top