1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping and Backpacking GEAR thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by T4RFTMFW, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Jul 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    bilplat

bilplat Simply Driving Into Mordor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 White A/T 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    ARE Hard Top
  2. Jul 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Deet is a plasticizer and can damage nylon/polyester/plastic with direct exposure. I just use a little 1oz spray bottle and only apply it to open skin. Permethrin is great because you can spray your worn clothing BEFORE your trip so it totally dries (never apply to clothes while you're wearing them!), and it will stay effective for a few washings.

socalktk and chowwwww[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jul 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Subject to tastes. Usually the calories aren't enough if you're doing long hikes and need more fuel. Some taste decent, and others are horrible. Test before you go.

I prefer the flavors and ingredients of Backpacker's Pantry freeze dried meals more than MH. My latest favorites are from Pack-It Gourmet, as they don't use preservatives or artificial ingredients and they have some fun flavors and unique recipes.

4. Jul 11, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    dziner

dziner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100 (front) | OME 885 springs | Bilstein 5160 (rear) | OME Dakar medium leafpack | JBA UCA | Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75 R16 | ARE Z-Series topper | Renogy 100W solar panel | SnoMaster TR42 fridge | sleeping platform | Mobtown sliders | Custom Car Grills grill insert
    I added a Renogy 100 watt solar panel to the OEM roof rack on my truck. It was around $280 for the kit which came with their Rover MPPT controller. Then I added a DC outlet to the bed of my truck from Off-Grid Engineering. Ran some wires, fuses (BlueSea 12 black fuse block and PelfreyBilt fuse block holder for cleanliness) and I now have a SnoMaster fridge running in the bed of my truck 24/7. I'm in Pennsylvania so our weather is all over the place. It can be full sun, or cloudy for days yet high temperatures and humidity. Everything has been running smooth for weeks with no problems. The fridge is at 36 degrees and the battery is usually around 13.6V when I leave work. I chose this over the dual battery setup.

5. Jul 11, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    skier

skier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 red Tacoma DBSB TRD Sport manual
    DEET was developed and tested using cotton clothing. Use with synthetics, waterproofs, etc is not recommended. It will destroy them, sometimes quickly. As I live in an alpine environment, I'm always using nylon jackets, shorts, rainwear, etc. Picaridin products work very well in concentrations of 20-22%. Proven by the CDC to both be as effective as Deet and safe for infants. Not very many products have that sort of endorsement.

Aussiedogs1, Seabass, dziner and 2 others like this.
  6. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    Ordered myself a Thermacell. Will be picking it up today before I head out on my trip. Hopefully its not too big and bulky. Will also wear bug repellent. The thermacell hopefully will create a nice bug free area to sit and have meals.

JJ TACO and socalktk like this.
  7. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    socalktk

socalktk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD: OR
    Kings, Pelfreybilt skids, mobtown sliders, dakars, SCS
    What do you guys recommend for dried foods? I use to purchase Green Belly Meal2go's from a kickstarter, but ive ran out. They also werent the greatest tasting dry food. But each bag contained about 645 calories and I could stuff a ton in my bear canister. eat 3 a day. Or do you guys just grab a bunch of dried foods and mix it all together?

Also going on a backpacking trip to Dinkey lake wilderness. Plan is to start at cliff lake trailead and hike 7 miles to island lake and then the two other days hike the dinkey lake loop. Anyone been in the area?

8. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    socalktk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    I just used my thermacell at Kern river and sequoia's a couple weeks ago. It worked great. I highly recommend it. Im also even looking at backpacking equivalent:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6B8W5...t=&hvlocphy=9031227&hvtargid=pla-340575499124

chowwwww[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    I was looking at that also, but didn't want to carry extra canisters. Or have to switch between my stove and that. The weight on the thermacell didn't look too heavy so hope.

Wont be in the Dinkey Lake area but I will be in the surrounding sequoia area. Doing Jennie and Weaver Lake loop. how is the fishing at Dinkey and Cliff lake?

socalktk[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:43 AM
    socalktk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    I dont know, Ive never been to that area before. Mainly just the main shaver lake area. Ill let you know.

11. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:49 AM
    socalktk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    Funny that you mention it. When i was at havasupai falls, a ton of hikers ended up leaving their FULL canisters behind because they didnt want to hike out with them. Me being the cheap ass I am, i collected them, about 4-5 of the large ones and was getting ready to hike out with them all. As soon as we got back into town and realized that there was a helicopter flying people out, a couple of people decided to fly out instead of hike out. I gave them my canisters to hold, and i booked it! Still beat them to the top since we started hiking around 5am, and the chopper wasnt going to arrive until 8am.

chowwwww[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Yea, for Havasupai the best way out is the hike. I been a few times and have always hiked out. Its quicker and not too bad if you leave early. I live in Orange County. Last time I was there I hiked out and made it back home before my friends even got to peach springs or wherever you first get signal on your phone. Something about finishing the hike out feels very rewarding to me.

13. Jul 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM
    orezona

orezona title unspecified

Member:
    satan's skillet
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD OR DCSB OMGWTFBBQ TL;DR
    WARRANTY VOIDED
    Decided to get a Vibe Kayaks 45qt cooler since the RITC version was sold out. Took all of 3 days to get it (I ordered Monday, it showed up today) and looks to be a pretty solid cooler.

I'm just glad to have something better than the POS rubbermaid cooler I had been using that couldn't keep ice from melting after only a couple hours, much less days.

Cuffs likes this.
  14. Jul 13, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    shieldze1025

shieldze1025 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North Shore Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4
    Heading out for a simple overnighter this weekend for my first time. Minor off road, but we're gonna sleep in the bed of the truck with a futon mattress and a makeshift tent. Staying in a very dry area here on Oahu, so it won't be anything too serious.

Any tips for first time sleeping in the truck?

Kick campings ass seabass! Quoting so I can reference this later, thanks man!

15. Jul 14, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I use all sorts of stuff. Here are the main dried foods I'm taking next month on the JMT:
    • A couple Mountain House (getting tired of these, but I still like a couple)
    • A majority of my dinners and some breakfasts are from Pack-It Gourmet
      • I love their 2 different cold chicken salad meals, thrown in a tortilla
      • Banana pudding and the cheesecake make for a high calorie breakfast, mix with bulk granola
      • Their big'un burrito wrap mix, chili, and chicken with dumplings are awesome
    • A couple of Backpacker's Pantry
    • Dehydrated refried beans from bulk, mixed with dehydrated ground beef and dehydrated cheese and some Taco Bell packets
    • Sweetened granola from bulk, mixed with powdered milk, powdered peanut butter, and Carnation Instant Breakfast
    I've got a ton of other recipes, but those are the favorites.

16. Jul 14, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    socalktk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    Nice list! Def will look into those other brands. The pack-it gourmet already looks good.

What I actually meant to say is not deyhdrated dry, but actual food you wouldn't require a stove and fuel. Literally just dry foods, that wouldnt require and heating, boiling, refrigeration, etc. Those cold chicken salad meals with a tortilla sound delicious, and possibly pack plenty of carbs too.

17. Jul 14, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    Cuffs

Cuffs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Canyon NP. Formerly of Zion & Yosemite NPs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 DCSB/2021 4R MGM Nightshade
    Casbah masks and instant hummus. Great with tortillas. Many dried meats (salami, prosciutto...) last very well. Nut butters in squeeze tubes (again on tortillas)

18. Jul 14, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    mountainmonkey

mountainmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '13 Double Cab TRDOR DCSB
    Never enough
    Good morning gentleman. I'm currently running a group buy on some hammocks that some of you may be interested in. Check it out over here!

dziner likes this.
  19. Jul 14, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I'm bringing quite a few no-cook meals that will just soak in a small container for anywhere from 10-60 minutes. Here my primary no-cook meals for the trip:
    • Pack-It Gourmet Banana pudding with granola - 10 minute cold soak
    • Pack-It Gourmet Cheesecake with granola - 10 minute cold soak
    • Granola with the powdered milk/pb/instant breakfast (can be hot or cold) - 10 minute cold soak
    • Pack-It Gourmet 2 types of chicken salads - 10 minute cold soak, great in tortillas
    • Pack-It Gourmet Bean and corn salad - 60 minute cold soak, great in tortillas
    • Pack-It Gourmet Buffalo chicken wrap (can be hot or cold, better hot) - 10 minute cold soak, great in tortillas
    • Bars, pepperoni, soppresatta, hard cheese, tortillas, nut butters
    Technically, any dehydrated meal can be no-cook if you don't mind cold food and a longer soak time.

socalktk[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jul 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    lucky13don

lucky13don Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Milton, fl
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P.04 tacoma prerunner, 04 sequoia 4x4
    Too many to list
    Anyone have any experience with slumberjack tents and sleeping bags? Good,bad,or meh..

Products Discussed in

To Top