1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping and Backpacking GEAR thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by T4RFTMFW, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    Seems to pricey for what is essentially a bucket.

I just ordered a REI Flash inflatable sleeping pad and sea to summit dry bag pump. I bought a thermarest trail scout back in May. it is a comfortable enough for me to sleep on after a long day, however it doesn't pack as small as I like. So testing out the inflatable mats for the first time. If it works well then I will most likely return my thermarest mat since I already have a second 1in self inflating mat.

Anyone have any reviews they can give about the sea to summit dry bag pump?

https://www.rei.com/product/882657/sea-to-summit-air-stream-pump-dry-sack

https://www.rei.com/product/110723/rei-co-op-flash-insulated-air-sleeping-pad

links of the products I just ordered.

2. Oct 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Will the fitting on the Sea to Summit pump sack fit the valve system on the REI pad?

I personally use a Big Agnes Pumphouse dry bag for my pads that have the external twist-open valves. It also acts as the stuff sack for my pad.

skier likes this.
  3. Oct 12, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    No way that it's bear proof. The tab on the side where you open it would easily be grabbed by a bear paw in seconds.

socalktk[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Before I purchased I read reviews on the pump sack. One of the reviewers mentioned that he used the pump sack with his REI Flash pad. I will look into the Big Agnes pumphouse to see if it will work.

Anyone know what are the life expectancy of a good inflatable mat? I always use a foot print and sweep my site before setting up my tent. Also hammock camp a lot during summer.

5. Oct 12, 2017 at 10:52 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Got my base weight for my weekend overnight trips down to 8.01 pounds :) even with my 2 person Duplex tent. Normally I'll just take the smaller Solplex and save 6 ounces, but I'm field testing the Duplex this weekend on the Arizona Trail passage 26. I decided to go cookless on these short trips.

Things I changed since the last trip:
    • Small flashlight that clips to my hat brim instead of carrying a headlamp (saves 2.95 oz)
    • Zpacks Nero pack instead of the Arc Haul (saves 16.25 oz)
    • Cookless (saves 18.4 oz in stove/fuel/spoon weight)
    • NeoAir Xlite instead of the Xtherm (saves 7.5 oz)
    • Smaller sit pad (2 segments of the Zlite Sol instead of 4) - saves 2.15 oz
    • Smaller power bank (3500 instead of 10,000mAh) - saves 4.6 oz
    • Smaller gear repair tape kit (saves over 1 oz)
    • Smaller bottle of pain meds, wrapped in 20" of Leukotape as my only first aid (saves over 1 oz)
    • Added bear bag hang kit (adds .78 oz)
    • Leaving rain jacket and rain kilt at home when weather forecast permits (saves 8.65 oz)
    Upcoming changes:
    • Enlightened Equipment 10D Torrid APEX Jacket (hoodless) instead of my current Patagonia Down Sweater (will save 7.2 oz)
    • Adding an Enlightened Equipment 10D 30 degree 950 down quilt to the collection so I have a lighter option for warmer weather (currently have the 20 degree in 850 down in the 20D fabric) - will save 5.0 oz
    After the above changes, plus using my 1 person tent, and with dry 3 season weather, I'll be down to a new base weight of 6.87 pounds, and a max of 7.41 pounds in wet weather. I never thought I could get it that low and still be comfortable.

Current pack list: https://lighterpack.com/r/9kv2hh

6. Oct 12, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    A good pad will last years if you clear your tent site of things that can poke through, and if you keep it protected and store it properly. I also leave my twist valves in the open position so they don't compress the seal gasket when not in use. At home, open up the pad and hang it so it doesn't keep creases, and try to roll it up differently when you put it away so it's not always being folded on the same creases. Hard to do, in most cases, but it's optimal treatment.

I don't use a tent footprint anymore, but my tent floor is a heavier weight Dyneema composite fabric (old name for cuben fiber) and nothing has ever poked through. Saves weight, too.

Always carry a patch kit for your pad, and for the tent floor. Tenacious Tape is great stuff and pretty universal at fixing both. Once you find where the hole is, clean it well, let it dry, and put a good sized patch of Tenacious Tape over the area. Should hold for years.

ShemRahBuck and chowwwww[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM
    Stoach Pierogi

Stoach Pierogi Just riding around.

Member:
    Loose nut behind the wheel.
    I've gotten about 5 years each out of my Exped Downmat and Synmat UL. Interestingly the fabric weight doesn't seem to matter. The baffles come un-glued from inside after so many years of packing and unpacking, freeze/thaw cycles, etc. Never had a puncture. Never been particularly careful. I use a bivy with a silnylon bottom but not a heavy groundsheet or anything.

socalktk and chowwwww[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Oct 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    This brings up a good point... NEVER inflate your air mattress with your lungs! That moisture builds up and degrades the baffles especially on some of today's newer technology pads. You can get mildew build-up in there which will ruin the internals. Use a pump sack or even a battery powered pump.

9. Oct 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    I use the 5 gallon from 'Whereever'.
    I add a Gamma Lid to make them screw on/off easy. Makes them really easy to use. They fit on the 3 or 5 gallon buckets. I have about 10 of them.
    YETI = "No Way I will pay that price."

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency-supplies/food-storage-equipment/gamma-seal-lids

They should be from 7-10 dollars, not the 15 on Amazon.

ETAV8R[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
  11. Oct 12, 2017 at 12:25 PM
    JudgeJosephDredd

JudgeJosephDredd I AM THE LAW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Crestucky, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCSB, 6 spd
    Stuff and Things
    geartrade.com is a good source of second hand stuff and I believe some of the bigger companies sell their returns from online sales. I bought a Thule bike rack for my trailer hitch a few years back. Another good site is gearscan.com: mostly Back Country/Moosejaw from Steep and Cheap. I personally peruse The Clymb. I hope this helps anyone looking for things to waste money that isn't a Tacoma

Adrawk and Boomkanani like this.
  12. Oct 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    skier

skier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 red Tacoma DBSB TRD Sport manual
    I have (well, my kids have them now), first generation Thermarests (brass valves) that are nearly 40 years old. A couple of minor repairs, but otherwise fine and still work. It is important to store them inflated for the memory of the foam. Vertical in the garage or under a bed. YMMV

chowwwww[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 12, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Thanks! didn't even think about under the bed. I was trying to figure out where I can store them without rolling it up.

14. Oct 13, 2017 at 5:51 AM
    Stoach Pierogi

Member:
    Definitely agree. Admittedly mine have a lot of nights on them for only 5 or so years, so that could be considered worst case longevity.

Great list there. I like the look of the EE Torrid APEX. I've been using an older BPL Cocoon Hoody for years now, similar but with Polarguard Delta and .9oz/yd2 Pertex Quantum. Love that thing. The Torrid appears to be an incremental improvement in every way. Would be interested what you think of it, esp the sizing. I have some other APEX items and have been impressed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  15. Oct 13, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    Stoach Pierogi

Member:
    I think those older thermarests held up better than the cushier baffled Neoair/Exped/Klymit varieties around today. I have a thermarest from the early 80's that's still fine. Cost per night for the comfort, I'm still good with the newer ones.

16. Oct 13, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    The time has arrived! I leave tomorrow for the Grand Canyon for a rim to rim hike next week. Lots of new things to try out...Osprey Aether 60 backpack, REI Flash sleeping pad, North Face Cat’s Meow sleeping bag, and Cascade Mountain Tech trekking poles. I’ve actually had one overnight outing with the pack and sleeping bag, but the other things are new. I can’t wait to get there. Beam me up, Scotty!

17. Oct 13, 2017 at 7:18 AM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    How do you like the new Zpacks Nero? I am still rocking an old Zpacks Blast 30 which weighs in at 7.9oz and I love it. Not sure why they stopped making it. I do like the addition of the sitpad on the back. On mine the cuben fiber is right up against your back which gets really hot really quick.

18. Oct 13, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    BYOB - Bring your own Barista

IMG_20171004_104113_224.jpg

19. Oct 13, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I've only worn the Nero a couple times loaded up on some test hikes, so this will be my first overnighter and longer distance trek with it. I removed the thin foam back pad from it and put a 2 section piece of the Zlite Sol on it instead, which is a perfect fit. With the dimpled texture of the Zlite, It breathes a bit better than even the thin foam piece plus it's a more useful pad around camp. I use it as a sit pad and a kneeling pad to get in/out of my tent, and the thin foam that comes with the Nero is a sloppy fit in the Nero and not very comfortable to sit on. It seems to breathe pretty good, but not as well as my Arc Haul with that arched frame.

But, the Nero literally floats when it has a light load in it and it's quite comfortable for being frameless. Packed properly, it does stay rigid and the thin waist belt does actually transfer weight to the hips pretty good. I did a 9 mile test hike with it when it had 14 lbs in it, and it never bothered me.

I had almost bought the older model, then they pulled it for months while they redesigned to make the Nero. I like the slightly tougher build of the Nero, as it seems to be more abrasion resistant with the extra layer of protection. No need for a pack liner either as it is 100% waterproof on the inside with that fully laminate-sealed DCF.

I like that I can still reach my water bottles in the side pockets while wearing it. That was critical for me since I don't use hydration bladders. The outside mesh pocket covers almost the entire back of the pack, so lots of stuff fits in it.

20. Oct 13, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I can't wait to try the new Torrid APEX. Reviews are coming in on the warmth factor of the synthetic fill, and they're saying it's as warm as down but you get the benefit of being able to get it wet and dry it out. I'm so nervous about getting my down jacket wet and putting myself in a hypothermic situation.

Sizing seems to be deliberately large so you can layer underneath it. I don't really use any other layers under my jacket, so I'll be trying a size down from what I normally wear, based on the measurements they posted.

Products Discussed in

To Top