1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping and Backpacking GEAR thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by T4RFTMFW, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Aug 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's awesome, I'm a snow camping virgin, mostly due to lack of appropriate gear and I get no snow in my area. Can't speak to solo camping as I've never done it myself, because it IS less fun. A great way for many to unwind and reconnect to themselves/the world they view, but I'm not that introspective that I wouldn't notice that in the end, I was by myself and that's not so fun for me.

Have you considered a PLB, SPOT, or other type of device/service? That would at least give you a bit more edge on the danger factor. Like all electronics though, they're subject to failure and false security.

2. Aug 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    That shower is pretty slick, Burn! I could see the benefit of having that hose on there, but damn, $100? Let us know what you think of the tent, too. Have fun in Zion! I hope you're packing a camera!

3. Aug 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Shrug. I don't mind solo camping during the summer, and I do it a couple of times a year because the GF doesn't like camping as much as I do. But during the winter I'm less of a fan. The danger factor isn't as big of a concern for me as the boredom would be (although hypothermia's always a risk during the winter, and it's hard to spot when it's happening to you). During winter camping there's not as much daylight, so you're either beside the fire or in the tent much earlier than when you're summer camping. On my own that would get boring fast with nobody to talk to after dark.
    On the other hand, when the two of us go, we hunt during the day, collect firewood at dusk, and then once the sun goes down (at 4:00!) we cook & eat dinner, smoke cigars, drink some bourbon or some rum (or if it's really cold out, some brandy), and stay up late shooting the shit and telling lies. Plus there's two people to set up camp, split up the chores, and break camp, so you don't have to do everything yourself.

Biscuits likes this.
  4. Aug 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Just noticed you're in Maine.. that's winter alright. I spent some time in Farmington years ago, and that's the coldest weather I've been in. All the reasons you listed for why camping with others is better I totally agree with. That isn't all that camping is about, but sharing things and spending good time with good people is a huge part of camping and one that I prefer over solitude and self reflection. But then again, I'm not the person who can sit and read a book for hours either. Dark at 4PM makes for a LONG night!

5. Aug 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    That's my home town! Well, West Farmington is. I grew up on the top of the hill that the ski slope is on; my parent's property actually borders the cross country ski trails to the mountain.

6. Aug 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I briefly dated a girl there who was going to UMF, her step dad was a cook at a 24 hour joint on the other side of town, maybe the Big Stop? It was down the street from a chinese food joint I think is Jade Palace, but it's been a really long time since those days. Beautiful country there, I'd like to go back. First time I saw a gigantic lake that was frozen, first cold weather, first crab rangoons, and first time I ever saw hot dogs as a pizza topping.

Before I went there to visit, I'd been told that there were only 10 pretty girls in the whole state of Maine. Never got to saw a moose, which was really disappointing since it was the season of snow and ice. Every morning heard about someone who had their car totalled by hitting a moose early in the morning and the thing just got up and walked away. I was ALWAYS too late!

7. Aug 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    This is the best I have of the tent in the snow...The yellow/white one in the back

DSCN6519_edit_tent.jpg

8. Aug 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    That's a cool shot. :cool:

One of the great things of that tent is the rainfly length, which really lets you yank it down low when you need to, and the amount of tie outs for guy lines. Were you using anything to heat the inside of the tent up? I think if I got stuck in a snowfall I'd figure a way to suspend the center ridge pole ends to a tree or something above the tent, that way at least I have an extra support system for the roof not to collapse as easily and help take a little load off the cross poles which are by far the weakest part of that tent. It'd work well enough, unless the ridge pole snapped. :eek:

9. Aug 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    REI's Labor Day sale is going on Aug 22-Sept 1. Kingdom 4 for under $300, too. So tempting. :eek:

10. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Yeah the fly on that is awesome! I need to get the footprint for it so that I can set just the fly and the footprint up if I want.
    I actually wasn't in my tent that night because I lent it to my friend and his girlfriend at the time in exchange for his one-person, only to find out that there was an open spot in a different tent so I ended up in that other one in front of mine. I'm 99% sure they didn't have any sort of additional heat source other than maybe some warm water.
    That's a pretty good idea, but then you need to be close to trees, and that could pose the risk of breaking branches falling on top of you if there's enough weight to break the poles... :eek:
    Luckily it was beautifully clear that night, no chance of snow. I don't think it dropped below the teens F, either, so it wasn't thaaat cold. It was still frickin' cold for my California tastes, but it wasn't too bad.

11. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Good call, a frozen widowmaker would kinda suck too. The Half Dome foot print is probably on sale right during the Labor Day sale I mentioned above. The mailer said all Half Dome tents are 30% off, so I'd be surprised if the foot prints are full priced still.
    You can also use Tyvek if you want to save a few bucks. If so, check eBay for the size you need. I've never used the Fast Pitch footprint/rainfly option but I know the footprint they sell for the Half Dome isn't needed, it can be any ground material since the tent poles for the rainfly will use the rainfly grommets to anchor themselves into position.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Good call. I'll even be back in the states before it ends, so I can definitely check it out!
    I'll look into the Tyvek, too. I didn't even think about using other tarps. The Half Dome footprint is so dang lightweight! My family has the half dome 4 with the footprint and the footprint blows me away with how light and compact it is.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    skynet

skynet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Scattered 12g shotgun shells in the bed to deter tweekers from stealing my stereo
  14. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Tyvek is weigh lighter but is bright white.

15. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    vjherrera

vjherrera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Chicopee,MA
    Nothing like selling a 550 dollar tub in front of a free lake......lol, not my style but for those who have significant others who are not camping Fans this might work.....

16. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    vjherrera

vjherrera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Chicopee,MA
    Ok time to open the floodgates.......knife or multitool of choice,

For me hands down is my 30 year old buck 110 my dad bought me whem I was 10...advice on a multitool though would be nice

17. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    MrGlipsby

MrGlipsby Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 DC TRD OR MGM
    - Prinsu CabRac - Undercover SE Tonneau - Weathertech Floor Liners
    I've put 1 14 footer and 2 12 footers (all at the same time) on a Yakima roof rack on my old 2004 DCSB and drove for 12 straight hours. I highly recommend Yakima Q-Towers.

I have yet to use it on my 2014 DCSB, but I assume it'll work well on there too.

18. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    MrGlipsby

MrGlipsby Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 DC TRD OR MGM
    - Prinsu CabRac - Undercover SE Tonneau - Weathertech Floor Liners
    Anyone in here do any hammock camping/backpacking?

19. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    RND2

RND2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    In my head swimming around
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB
    RCD 4"
    Snow camping is awesome when your 15 miles back and the calm before the mother of all storms is about to hit.
    unnamed_03ae7d1863616f4daefdea81fa9db4b92ffe151c.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    ricphoto and Yodeville like this.
  20. Aug 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Damn that looks peaceful. What kind of gear are you running? Ground insulation, sleeping bag?

Products Discussed in

To Top