1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can a Carolla remote be reprogrammed for a Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TopTeke, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mar 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    TopTeke

TopTeke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 6spd. Access Cab
    Good move #1: I traded in my Carolla for my Tacoma
    Good move #2: I kept my spare Carolla remote entry remote to reprogram for my Tacoma (the dealer only had one for my truck)

I tried to reprogram the remote using the directions from TSB but it only ended making the other (actual Tacoma) one stop working. I was able to successfully reprogram it.

So does anyone know if the remotes from the Carolla/Camry/Avalon, etc. just don't work with our trucks?

2. Mar 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    BlueXenon

BlueXenon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles and Newport Coast
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic gray TRD sport (SOLD)
    Pro Comp 6" Stage 2 lift, N-Fab nerf bars, tinted windows, debadged, 6000k xenon headlights, 18" ProComp 7089 Wheels in black with BFG AT KO 33's, SnugLid tonneau cover, Line X'ed TRD skid plate. SOLD! Waiting for the 3rd Gen!
    I don't know if it would actually work, but your dealer owes you a remote. Every new tacoma comes with 3 keys, and 2 remotes. You might want to call em up and demand it.

3. Mar 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    TopTeke

Member:
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    I bet I could at least get them to trade me right? I'm going away this weekend but I'll check them out when I come back.

4. Mar 11, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    Munkey

Munkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paducah, KY
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red 4X4 Double Cab Sport
    OEM Tube Steps, Bed Extender, Pioneer Avic D3 with Bluetooth and XM Radio modules
    I agree with Blue, if you bought your truck new, you should have gotten 2 remotes. But according to your profile, it says your truck is an '07. May be hard to get that extra remote from them for free after this long.

5. Mar 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Due to the radio frequency used on the vehicles. The remotes are VERY vehicle specific. If you get another remote, check to make sure the FCC number on the back is an EXACT match, character for character and it will work. If it is even one character off it will not.

6. Mar 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM
    TopTeke

Member:
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the confusion - I just bought it; used :cool:

To Top