1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can adjustable shocks compensate for variable loads?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Imageoguy, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    My taco has a constant load of about 380 lbs and is often loaded to 1200 lbs + with gear. To compensate for this, I installed the OME package with the overload leafs and an airbag system. Problem is that I'm a fairly aggressive driver on logging roads and when I inflate the airbags to prevent bottoming (55 PSI when loaded), the suspension is very springy. Would an adjustable rear shock, like the BP-51, help to provide a better ride loaded and unloaded by simply adjusting compression and rebound? Is the adjustment of these parameters on adjustable shocks time consuming?

2. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    Allstar780

Allstar780 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Trail Teams Sport
    3" Lift, 32" Goodyear Duratrac, XD Series Hoss Rims
    That's one of the selling points on (I believe) fox 's click adjuster. I'm sure it would take some play to figure out what setting you like but then you could just use a paint pen to mark loaded and unloaded settings and just click it to the desired setting as needed.

3. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    snowboard704

snowboard704 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' 4x4 Tacoma
    Check Build thread
    I think since it's such a durastic change that the adjustable shocks wouldn't do much. The adjustments are only for fine tuning... not completely changing the valving and dampening of the shock

JoeCOVA likes this.
  4. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Allstar780

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Trail Teams Sport
  5. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    WormSquirts

WormSquirts Armageddon

Member:
    First Name:
    Braeden
    BC
    In conjunction with your airbags, the adjustable rebound would be very beneficial for you. I have the bp51s and I've only used a 4 bar range on the adjuster, out of 15 or something? So you could use your airbags, then slow down the rebound to get rid of the springy feeling. It only takes a few seconds to dial back.

Adding compression does not compensate for weight. It just makes the travel stiffer, but you would still be near bottoming out at all times

Allstar780 likes this.
  6. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    snowboard704

snowboard704 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' 4x4 Tacoma
    Check Build thread
    Yea but if he's gonna valve them good for roughly 380 additional pounds. That 1200 load would be roughly 316% difference. Plus with the air bags it's gonna be weird. I say just slow it down on the fireroads when loaded... but that's no fun I suppose :D

7. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    Shocks don't help with load. That's what leaf packs and coils are for. Click adjusters are for fine tuning. Not really for tuning with a load or unloaded.

8. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    Allstar780

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Trail Teams Sport
    So anyways, it is my belief that you would benefit from adjustable dampening for your use, though how much I can't say... You can't really have it all as they say and with airbags you get that floaty springy feel, so a shock that could be adjusted to rebound more firmly, one can reason, would be a benefit.

9. Aug 18, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    I don't think it would be a 316 % difference, you have to take into account the sprung weight of the truck. Also, the ride isn't that bad, its just the airbags pushing up after a bump which seems to create a bit of a springy feeling. BTW, slowing down is not an option :burnrubber:

That's what I was thinking. I run the airbags at 10 PSI with my 380# load and 55 @ 1200#. I'm already adjusting for weight with the airbags so I don't bottom-out unless hitting a pretty big bump at fairly high speed. A bit more control on the rebound should make the ride more even. Well at least it gives me an excuse to buy shiny new shocks :D

10. Aug 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    WormSquirts

WormSquirts Armageddon

Member:
    First Name:
    Braeden
    BC
    I think a couple people are confused about what compression damping does... Compression and spring rate are separate things. Adding weight to your vehicle can only be compensated for by additional spring rate, which the OP has the ability to adjust via his airbags. Basically you set your ride height, or sag with your spring rate. Then from there, you adjust compression for how stiff or compliant of a ride you want. If you want to really soak up every tiny bump, less damping. If you find that you are bottoming out way too often because you are hitting a lot of big bumps at speed, stiffen it up with more compression damping. Whether you add or subtract compression damping, your ride height will be the same.

You could leave your spring rate the same, even with the heavy load, and crank up your compression damping but you would still be left with a really really stiff 1 or 2 inches of up travel, and feel every bump, plus lose traction way easier. It is much better to compensate for the additional weight with your spring rate, and then tune how stiff/compliant you want your ride with compression damping.

Rebound is easier to understand. The higher your spring rate, the more rebound damping you need. With too little rebound damping you will find yourself bouncing all over the place. However, with too much rebound damping, you will lose traction, and start packing up your suspension after repeated hits because it wont extend quick enough to handle the bumps.

So what I was saying before is that as you add weight to your truck, add PSI to your airbags to maintain your desired ride height/sag. Then, dial up your rebound damping (if you get new shocks) to remove the springy feeling, as your rear end wont be able to bounce back as quickly. Your compression adjustments will mostly just be dependant on driving style/personal preference.

splitbolt likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top