1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can any Tacoma owners w/ lifts help me out?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seaNOmercy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mar 16, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    seaNOmercy

seaNOmercy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Magnetic Gray
    2.5 inch leveling kit, all-weather mats, hood protector
    I'm thinking about getting a lift for my Tacoma ('09 Access) but I'm not sure how much is too much or what would be just right 'cause I haven't seen any around here that have lifts on 'em.. I'm thinking a 4" would be fitting, seeing as how it's a midsize truck and I don't plan on performing in any monster truck rallies anytime soon.. or will I?! lolz.. nah, but I was just guna see if I can get some people to reply that have pictures of any newer Tacoma's w/ lifts so I can get a feel for what it would look like.. Might decide to bump it up to 6".. Thanks!

P.S. For those that reply, are the wheels and tires on my sport package (17" alloys + P265/65R17 *see picture!*) IYO big enough not to make them look weird or small w/ lift..

2. Mar 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    most people get a 3". rcd has a new 4.5". other than that theres a 6". Just depends on how much you want to spend, what size, and what purpose it will serve

3. Mar 17, 2009 at 12:07 AM
    Maple85

Maple85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland Oregon
    Lots to come at some point. Hopefully soon.
    If you lifted it 6 inches or even 3 inches then you will probably need bigger tires to make it more proportional.

4. Mar 17, 2009 at 12:11 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    ur tires will look too small anything over 3". Even with the 3" they may look a little funny depending on what you think. You can always get the 3", wear out ur current tire, then purchase new ones.

5. Mar 17, 2009 at 5:40 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC V6 TRDsport
    5100's all around - fronts at 1.75", 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2, HID headlights and fog lights, factory skid plate, ss exhaust tip, tube steps, Access roll-up tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, 6 D-rings, seat MagLite, LED dome, fumoto oil drain, DTRL, fog light anytime, Kenwood/Clarion speakers, Pop-N-Lock 5300, LED bed lights and a few other things...
  6. Mar 17, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4 TRD-Sport
    Lifted
  7. Mar 17, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    It does depend on what you will be doing with the truck too.

I think there's a poll here that shows the 3" lift being the most popular.

I just have the spacer lift. I don't notice a change in the ride, but it does limit the limits of articulation of the suspension. For no more wheeling than I do (usually around 6 times a year) it has been more than sufficient. Basically the purpose is to give me more ground clearance.

There's more advanced lifts for more advanced use as well. You can really trick yuor suspension out with upper control arms (UCA's) Coil Overs (CO) Add-A-Leaf (AAL) <-- Recommended for rear

6" lifts, I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong, taco gurus) involves much more as far as parts / labor.

You should look "somewhat okay" with your stock wheels / tires and a 3", but still a little on the "strange / awkward" side. It would look really strange / incomplete with a 6" lift.

All of this is just my opinion / testimony so take it with a grain of salt, LOL

8. Mar 17, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    [​IMG]
    whats wrong with that? (mind you im running spacers)

9. Mar 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    seaNOmercy

seaNOmercy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Magnetic Gray
    Thanks for the replies!

I've finally decided on a 3" lift, I've seen a couple pictures of taco's with the 3" lift and I'm thinking it's perfect for the more aggressive look I'm going for.. I went down to les schwab today and got a quote at $430 bucks.. not bad! Hopefully when I get my year end bonus I'll be able to get wheels and tires. For now what I've got (17" alloys + P265/65R17) shouldn't look awkward! However, this is just the way I figure it. Anyone with a lift and these wheels / tires, let me know what you think of the appearance! Thanks again, I can't express how much I appreciate the help you guys provide me!

10. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC V6 TRDsport
    5100's all around - fronts at 1.75", 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2, HID headlights and fog lights, factory skid plate, ss exhaust tip, tube steps, Access roll-up tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, 6 D-rings, seat MagLite, LED dome, fumoto oil drain, DTRL, fog light anytime, Kenwood/Clarion speakers, Pop-N-Lock 5300, LED bed lights and a few other things...
    Any details on the lift they are setting you up with?

I think you will look fine with the stock 17's under a 3" lift.

11. Mar 30, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    seaNOmercy

seaNOmercy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Magnetic Gray
    what's happenin people? I just got back from a week long sales trip in Dallas and I didn't bring my laptop so I couldn't check the forum.. I felt like a kid on christmas morning when I got home and logged onto TW, lolz.. Anyhow, I had plenty of time to think about it and I've decided to take a different route. I'm just going to get a 2.5 inch leveling kit and have 'em put a puck in to raise it up a little bit.. I figure that I don't want to get a new suspension and break the bank when the TRD Sport already has an awesome suspension as is! Anyhow, I'll be sure to get pictures up and more details when I go in to have it done on Thursday! As always, thanks for the replies!

To Top