1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

can anybody on here get tires for or around cost?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacosupreme54, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jun 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    I'm looking at some tires and it seems hard to get a decent set without spending over $1000. It would be helpful if anybody does work at a tire dealer or has some kind of connection to help not only me, but all of us out if possible. Even if it's $25 a tire cheaper, that's $100 off total cost or free shipping; anything to help us out a little. I think we'd all love to save a little money, so it's just an idea.

2. Jun 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    what size and type of tire are you looking for?

3. Jun 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    Rashnu

Rashnu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 T4R TEP
    Stock
    I believe that was the second question

4. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    I have a couple in mind: 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 and I am contemplating 285/75/16 Super Swamper SSR's

Yeah, I know it's a losing battle to try to find a great deal on anything. I was just hoping one of us members had some kind of hookup that could possibly help all of us out. But yes, that's what I've been doing, looking online. I've noticed that the ones that look like good deals end up hitting you pretty hard when it comes to shipping. So that "deal" that is "cheaper" than the competition ends up coming up about the same with shipping included. The ones with free shipping usually end up with better deals.

Rockmart, GA 30153

Like I said to Idaholandho, I was just hoping someone could hook us up with some kind of deal; maybe they work at a tire dealer and can get them for us at cost or closer to cost.

I have learned a few things in looking lately: like looking for free shipping, buy the cheaper online price and pickup in the store (no shipping fee), etc. Price matching is also a plus if you can find someone who also ships for free. Double up the money saved with price match and the money saved of free shipping. Right now I'm working on a deal with discount tire. I found the 295 Hankooks I wanted on a site for $167 (like $60 cheaper than most other places), but their shipping costed $150. So theirs turned out about the same as if I bought them in the store at regular price. So I got on discounttiredirect.com, found them for $232 apiece, and then clicked the "did you find these cheaper?" link. I filled out some stuff including the link to the same tires for $167, my email, blah blah, blah, and they are supposed to review it. I am hoping they will match this price, because they declare to not be beat on price. If I get the price matched and get the free shipping, which is standard on discounttiredirect.com, I will end up saving over $400 compared to buying it online and paying shipping.

5. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    lol

6. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
  7. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    the tires were somewhat cheap at $211, but the "free shipping" was for tire and wheel packages lol. it turned out to be about $1025.

8. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
  9. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Yep, we all know that. And yeah, I've been looking for the past few months. Even posted a few wanted ads, all the responses I've gotten were some shitty, no-name, bald ass tires, haha. I've tried about every route to save any extra money that I can. My grand-dad has a discount on Goodyear tires because he worked for them for 40+yrs, but I don't really like Goodyears. Just seeing if you guys had any other tricks up your sleeve to save some cash. Looks like that's about it though.

10. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I hear you. I just installed 4 sets of them on some of my work trucks, to field test them. so far so good, but they've only been in use for a short time. They're made a little different that truck retreads. Apparently, they go through more inspections than a brand new tire... there's a good chance you'll have a defective new tire blowout before these ever will.

I was hesitant too, but after reading literally 100s of good reviews on them I bit the bullet. I want to put them on the taco next time I'm due, unfortunately they dont make a 255/85... might have to go to 285/75.

I plan on doing a full write-up on here once they hit 10,000 miles, and start tracking them from there on.

11. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    junk yard

12. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    If it was a farm truck or something that didn't get on pavement much, I'd be more inclined. But in these 100+ degree Georgia summers, I just would always have it on my mind. Especially on longer drives. Like you said, they probably aren't any more dangerous than a new tire, but my luck, I'd be the guy that had 4 simultaneous blowouts, roll over the median into oncoming traffic, and all that shit, lol. But seriously, they probably alright, I just wouldn't ever completely be comfortable with them. Maybe after your writeup I'll be convinced.

13. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    not terrible, but i can't get any prices or sizes to show up on their site

EDIT: nvm

14. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    Have you personally tried re-treads?

tacosupreme54, I researched re-treads from treadwright.com for months before I purchased them. I couldn't find any bad review other than the very few idiots who heard from there second uncle's friends acquaintance that they are vulnerable to blowing up, so to say. I've had my re-treads on for thousands of miles with ZERO problems. I asked treadwright specifically to use the original casings so you really can't tell the difference unless you know what to look for. Anyway, after all said and done my treadwright bfg all terrains cost me $540.00 mounted and balanced.

15. Jun 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Very, very hard to get tires "for or around cost". Almost impossible really, you're gonna pay mark up.

Do you know anyone who works in a shop or tire store? That person may know who the tire wholesaler in your area is. Thats about the best way to get a new set of tires for a decent price.

Through the tire wholesaler in my area, A new set of 31" KM2's can be had for just less than $650.

16. Jun 23, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Well I ended up pulling the trigger on the 295/75/16 Hankooks. I tried the price match at several local Discount Tire places and had mixed results. The first one I called was DT Direct, they agreed on the price match at $167 per tire compared to their $248...with the competition's shipping price included. I would have saved some money from what their regular price was, but it would have been exactly the same as if I had bought the tires from the first company with shipping, pointless. It would have been $816, but I still would have to pay to have them installed, balanced, and all. I next called the nearest DT. When I asked about the price match he said "sure, what's their price?" I told him it was $167 to their $248, he said "that's a hell of a deal, why don't you buy it from them?" (in smartass tone). I said I didn't want to have to ship and that DT is price match or beat guaranteed. We went on for a little while, I was arguing that price match means price match and nothing else, he says that's cheaper than they even get them, blah blah blah, he ends up saying he will talk to his manager and call me back..never did. I called a few more...got the run around on the price match, they all added price of shipping to the cost. The price match was pretty much non-existent. They kept saying "sure, we'll match it...and then add in a few hundred for shipping, labor, etc, etc." and I got quotes of $1100 to even $1300 after "price match," the bullshit about adding in shipping cost, their tire lifetime rotate and balance, and all. It was crazy, I called wanting a cheaper price, which they are supposed to honor, and was getting quotes that were up to $500 more than what they were "matching." And of course they all acted like it was a good deal. I called one last DT just for shits and gigs and finally got treated right. I laid it out to him as soon as he answered. I mentioned the lower price, he said cool, what's the shipping, I told him and he worked on it. I offered the website for him to look up so he could see the price for himself, but he just said he took my word for it "he was going to work something up to make me happy and a loyal customer." That shocked me, the other guys were about to fall out of their chair and didn't believe me for a second when I mentioned the price and thought this site was a joke. This kid actually had customer service skills; he wanted to please his customer, unlike the others, and said to not even worry about the site, he believed me. The guy then worked it up to where I got the price match for them, but he would cut the matched shipping charge in half, still gave me lifetime rotate and balance, cut a few more corners to make me happy, and he even ordered them right then to get them asap.

So, that was a long story but it was to prove some points about us saving money on stuff. One thing I learned is that apparently price match doesn't necessarily mean price match. At least with Discount Tire, it means matching the out the door price, with shipping, handling, etc, etc added in. Which means basically, if it's cheaper somewhere else, there will be a catch, and the people matching the price will catch it and add it in too. Picking up in the store also will save you money. Persistence will also help too. I tried about 5 different DT's with about 20min conversations before I was happy. Most of them were douches, BUT there are still some people who will do a little more to provide great customer service and earn a loyal customer. Good luck finding them, but if you search, you will. So don't become submissive to the bullshit they try to feed you about their great deal. Just hang up and try another. Anyways, sorry about the novel, just a lot of stuff you guys probably already know, but I thought it was an interesting price match journey to share with you guys. BTW, I ended up getting these tires for about $900 with free shipping, tire's lifetime rotate and balance, and lots of prices cut compared to my quote of $1300 from a DT less than 15 miles away.

17. Jun 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    asus611

asus611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    Interesting information, thanks for the post. I'm currently in a battle to find some Nitto Terra Grapplers for less than retail. For 265/75/16 one of the local DT's wants $208 just for the tires, plus all the other fees. I mentioned a website with cheaper costs for just the tires, he laughed and said " we don't price match with that website. Bring me a real quote and I guarantee the best deal." Well I said that another local chain has them for $205, he says " no we don't price match against them either". Worst comes to worse I'll just go with the $205 deal, simply because of douchey remarks like that. Sigh.

WTF, my head hurts just typing that.

Products Discussed in

To Top