1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I climb this with a stock TRD Prerunner?

Discussion in 'Tacoma Videos' started by LaRue Shooter, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Mar 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    LaRue Shooter

LaRue Shooter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    STOCK TRD Offroad Prerunner
    Trijicon sticker on rear window.
    It was a serious question because I had no idea if it was anywhere near as steep as the Jeeps in the video made it seem. The gearing the guy was using was ridiculously low, so it appeared that he was really struggling. So that's why I wasn't sure if a 2wd truck would be able to make it without much difficulty.

Sorry, I was new to the whole offroading thing. At the time I posted the thread, I had only ever been in the desert washes, so it was an honest question.

But now I know what these dang things can do!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CRDRl_l3lZ4

And yes, that is a mattress in the back of the truck. Long story...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. Mar 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    GrandMasterChooch

GrandMasterChooch Active Member

Member:
    east coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 alpine white, 4x2
    snow tires , eh. sony BT deck with Cerwin 10 inch sub
    Have a few cold ones and just give errr! You will have a dandy ole time.

3. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    Deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Moromoto Mini H1 projectors, 20'' Blitzpro LED bar, two 6'' Blitzpro LED bars, ultra gauge, rhino lined bed, LED dome light in camper shell, and more to come...
    Nothing like throwin' back a frosty cold brewski while wheelin'....:rolleyes:

4. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    until your wheeling at 12am and decide to attempt a nasty hill that not even a 4wd could do and mess up your front bumper then hit a tree later that day

5. Apr 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    LaRue Shooter

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    I've learned a couple of important things in my first year of off road driving: 4wd is a little overrated and Jeep drivers are pussies:D

[​IMG]

6. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    i thought that too when i had a 2wd xterra. trust me 4x4 is not overrated. 2wd with good ground clearance can go a lot of places, but 4x4 can go more places, and remove a ton of drama like having to get going fast to get up steep slippery surfaces and tricky situations. i dunno about the jeep guys.. there is at least one or two around here that probly kknow what they are about...

7. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Just out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    looks like you haven't really learned much :rolleyes:

8. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    LaRue Shooter

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    I've had 4wd envy on occasion, but for the kind of driving I do it is not necessary.

9. Apr 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I didn't watch the whole thing (I was going to sleep) but from what I saw there was only 1 or 2 spots where 4wd "might, i say might" be needed for just a sec. , not even sure about that, pre runner friendly i'd say, but it matters not & BTW it isn't 4 wheel drive thats overrated it's the tool behind the wheel usually....

10. Apr 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Oh yeah, did you ever get off your lazy ass & try it ?...:notsure:

11. Apr 21, 2013 at 1:25 AM
    SuazoYota

SuazoYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Bonita
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Prerunner 2.7L
    Bilstein 5100s all corners, AFE pro dry drop in, 2nd air filter delete, CB, Ultra Guage, OMD custom leafs
  12. Apr 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    LaRue Shooter

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    It took me a while to find the trail, but I eventually happened upon it by accident and thought, "This sure does look familiar..." followed by "It's nowhere near as steep as it looks in the vid."
    But yeah, 4wd would have made the two obstacles easier, but they weren't that difficult.

I've spent a lot of time out there since late November and really have learned a lot - even how to unstick my truck with the stock jack:eek:

In case there are any of you who haven't been able to tell, the 4wd and Jeep remarks were tounge in cheek. But I am pretty amazed at what the Prerunner can do, although I've reached what seems to be its limit a couple of times.
    I love this stuff, though. What a blast.

13. Apr 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    LaRue Shooter

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Will do! One last trip for the season this coming weekend. I have a few others from last week, but they don't look as impressive as in person. All ofmthe really good stuff wasn't saved for whatever reason:confused:

14. Apr 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck

Good to hear & yeah I've been pretty impressed in the past with the pre runners capability....:thumbsup:

15. Apr 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    LaRue Shooter

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    OK, here it is. Finally found the trail about a month ago and remembered to take video of the section that is in the OP when I was on it again this past Friday. It turns out I can, in fact, climb this with a stock TRD Prerunner:p

Please disregard my friend's whispering and grunting. It was his first experience on a non-paved road.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCW90h50lc

Done with a full load of camping gear, guns, ammo, steel targets, extra fuel and water.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  16. May 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    ^Looks like you had a great time. Good job on researching what you were getting into and them going out an doing it!

17. May 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    After popping popcorn, grabbing the fuzzy white poodle and snuggling up on the couch to watch this epic adventure using the smart TV, I must say I'm a little confused on the challenge.

Side note: Your friend likely has asthma and would benefit from the use of an inhaler.

18. May 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    LaRue Shooter

Member:
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    It was never really a challenge by the time I finally found the trail. I had already long since learned what the truck could do. It had alrwady been stuck, unstuck, and climbed much more difficult trails.

As for my friend, he's just a big fat guy and had never been "offroad" before that trail. Literally his first experience. So he doesn't know to stay relaxed and not tense up when drjving over stuff.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I was a little apprehensive with it at first, but since starting this thread, that truck has been through hell and has not let me down yet.:cool:

To Top