1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I get in-dash Navigation without spending a fortune?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Aggie97, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    Before I get bitched at to use "Search" feature...I did and always do before posting.

My dilema: I'd like to add In-dash navagation stereo unit with aux jack for iPhone use.

I don't want to spend a small fortune since I am a cheap bastard. I'd like to keep it around $600-700 installed. Am I crazy or is this doable?

I'm far from a stereo geek so ANY feedback, help, ideas, or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    Lateralus

Lateralus Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Off Road
    Too many to list..
  3. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!
    If you can install the unit yourself you can save a couple hundred bucks.

Its a pretty simple install and a few members have put together great install writeups

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
  5. Jan 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    appreciate the feedback...I'd like to avoid doing the installation myself if possible, but might consider doing it if I couldn't get a good deal otherwise.

6. Jan 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you are sticking to that budget you are going to limit yourself on head units a bit because you'll have to pay for install. Spending 600 on a HU and another 100 on parts and then taking some time of your own to put it in you'll get a better HU than spending 3-4hundo on a HU and paying someone else to do it.

PS-I agree with Lat...That Pioneer 930 is a slick HU. The wife is probably going to get one and some new speakers in the near future...

7. Jan 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    whiteout

whiteout Active Member

Member:
    batonrouge,la
    TBA
    craigslist.com would be another option

8. Jan 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Thanks.

So if I were to buy the Pioneer 930...it would cost me another $100 in parts?

I'd be willing to attempt an install myself...especially if I could entice a more knowledgeable friend to come over and help. Beer typically works for enticing help.

9. Jan 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That was a random number more or less. Gotta get a wiring harness and a dash kit to fit it. Dash kits 25-30 bucks +shipping. Wiring harness-10-15 bucks. Any other add ons you'll need (GPS Antenna, ipod cable, etc etc etc).

You might be under 100 bones total.

10. Jan 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Thanks,

I will probably bite the bullet and pay for installation. My budget just needs to increase I guess.

11. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Best Buy only charges $119 for installation...that's not as bad as I thought it would be.

12. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Comes with mic for blue tooth, and GPS antenna. Ipod cable, harness, and dash kit are $65 bucks from Amazon (I bought in the past 6 months)

Also $46 for the AXXESS steering wheel control unit

The $119 is the labor only. Add in the dash kit + ipod + wire harness. And their prices wont be as good as Amazons.

Also, check to see where they install the bluetooth mic, if at all... And then decide if you trust them to take apart your truck.

13. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    I figured that was just labor. They are a little higher than Amazon, but they install no matter where you buy. I could save a little buying the parts and then have them do the installation. As far as trusting them, I don't fully...no, but more than doing it myself I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top