1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I stream music from android phone to Taco wirelessly?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacokhan, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Oct 19, 2022 at 1:00 PM
    manida

manida Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Oct 19, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    I have a pioneer avh model, very happy with it. I wanted to add a backup camera, so my trusty insaller did it all.

3. Oct 19, 2022 at 10:38 PM
    tacokhan

tacokhan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Is there any media receiver which has built in smx tuner? I want to avoid buying the SMX SCV300 tuner.

4. Oct 24, 2022 at 8:43 PM
    tacokhan

Member:
    I decided to go with Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX, Bestbuy will install it for me, the total is around $1000 thanks to the total tech plan.
    They will add a SXM tuner and install the radio harness to make the buttons on the wheel to work.
    My question is about the backup camera, they will connect the existing one to the new radio. I was at other installer who told me the existing camera will not work with the new radio due to having old cable connection (not RCA). If the BB can connect it, so be it but how about if it will not work, BB gave me option to install their after market camera which sits behind the license plate. I'm worried it gets damaged since we climb the tailgate to get to the tools. I could buy a new camera which sits wher the old one is ( buying the camera with the locking handle) see the link.
    What is your experience?
    https://www.extremeterrain.com/tacoma-rear-view-camera-kit-ada02043.html#customer_reviews

5. Mar 15, 2024 at 6:20 PM
    tacokhan

Member:
    After installing the headunit by BB, i'm very disappointed with the function of the head unit. If I want to use the SXM only, it's working fine, but android auto connection is a headache, Evey time I turn the car off and on, I have to wait about a minute for a full connection, sometimes the back up camera doesn't come up even thought im in rear gear. Is there any head unit ( like my Tesla 3) which comes up as soon as open the car door ( I pay $10 monthly for Tesla internet). I would rather pay the $10 for any headunit which has internet, so I don't need the android car connection.

6. Mar 15, 2024 at 8:00 PM

545 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab
    There are many head units that have cellular options. I don’t think you can get service for $10 a month tho, Tesla offers that because they already have your car hooked to the internet

Generally what you want to look for is an android head unit; note that android is different than android auto
    I like android auto and CarPlay better, but to each their own

Here is one, https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-9...or-toyota-tacoma-2005-2015-apple-carplay.html

I have it but exclusively use CarPlay on it. I don’t have internet directly to it, but I know it has cellular antennas and a SIM card slot. You need to add a cell plan to use it.

7. Mar 15, 2024 at 8:56 PM
    tacokhan

Member:
    I listen to internet music stations, they are bookmarked on my Tesla using Tunein app.
    I have the same app on my phone, but in order to access it, I have launch Android Auto, which takes ages until it's loaded on head unit after I turn on the car. With my Tesl, as soon as I open the door the music starts playing. I don't intent to buy another head unit just to be able to have internet on it. I was wondering if Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX is capable of connecting to internet via SIM card.

8. Mar 17, 2024 at 7:32 AM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    I have the same W4660NEX. It does not have the ability for adding a SIM card or connecting to the Internet (or being a hotspot) like you want it to. If Android Auto loads slowly you could try updating the firmware using either the Pioneer phone app or manually via USB. Firmware 3.05 was just released in February 2024 and may help.

To my knowledge there is no way to have the head unit load like your Tesla for any model unit because that’s just not how any normal vehicle works. Teslas have huge batteries so they can do that, normal cars do not.

To Top