1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can loose U-bolts cause vibrations?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by kingston73, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Apr 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    OK, first I did read through several different "vibration" posts, but none of them really answered my question. Installed a 1.5 AAL a few weeks ago, everything went fine, everythings been fine since. Just today, driving home from work, started to experience pretty bad vibrations when slowing at interstate speeds (70mph or so) and then once off the interstate, going 30-40 mph on my road to home it started to shake both while driving and when braking. To eliminate any "installer error" I got the torque wrench out and cranked down on the ubolts for the rear axle. When I installed them I had the wrench set to 70 ft-lbs, I turned it up to 80 today and tightened them. Went for a very short ride (only up to 40 mph) and for now the vibes are gone. Would loose bolts cause this, or should I look for other symptoms and causes?

2. Apr 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Yes, they can. And if IIRC, they should be torqued to 87#

3. Apr 16, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    usually when you do a rear lift the drivetrain is sitting at a new angle. usually the angle causes slight vibrations. I did the same 1.5 AAL in the rear i get very little but i do get vibes at low speeds. axle shims usually do the trick to re correct the angle but usually this is the reason for vibes with a rear lift.

4. Apr 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    In the Haynes manual I could have sworn I saw 70#'s for the rear bolts, so I should go out and retighten them to 87#'s? The vibrations I had were more than slight, and I hadn't experienced this at all the first 3 weeks or so I had the AAL's on. If loose bolts can cause this, and mine were only at 70 and need to be at leat at 87, hopefully that's all that's wrong.

To Top