1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can someone CarFax this 2010 Taco?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jg7, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    jg7

jg7 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Interested in this Taco but the CarFax is not provided. I'm skeptical why anyone would get rid of a perfectly good truck with only 12k miles still under warranty. Hopefully someone has a CarFax account :D

One Owner?
    Lease?
    Fleet?
    Not purchased and serviced in Central TX?
    Claims or damage?

Pasted link below, but not sure it will work so the VIN is also below.

Thanks

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...0&standard=false&rdpage=thumb&captcha=success

3TMJU4GN0AM091948

2. Feb 4, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    I got rid of a 1 year old truck with 11k miles to get my tacoma. It happens alot, people decide they want something different...or in my case, a truck with 4wd.

3. Feb 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    House Doc

House Doc Active Member

Member:
    Give you local dealer's service dept a call, see if they will run a VIN history for you. Some will, some will not.

4. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    tell the dealership that if want to sell the truck get you a Carfox:D

5. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    you can get a 4wd for that price

6. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    giving out carfax on message boards is a violation of their terms of service and most boards can ban you for it.

7. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    When I was shopping around my Credit Union would pull CarFax's for me... just send them the VIN and an hour or two later they'd email me back.

If you're looking to take out a loan, the bank's gonna want to know that their money is going to a worthy vehicle, and often they'll get it for you.

Check with your bank

8. Feb 4, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    SO why is it that so many people love carfax, but a national ID is taboo.

I've not carfaxed in the last few years, but when I have It hasn't offered anything interesting.

My neighbor insisted on it when he bought a mustang. When we went to put in his suspension, found body filler and fairly fresh dust. Not on the carfax no reason it has to be. But at least he knows it was bought in virginia.

9. Feb 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Gabe is correct, your local bank can do it and also your car insurance agent can look it up also. I do it over the phone in front of the dealer, salesman

10. Feb 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    Car Fax, is about the biggest scam (joke) out there, Looks like a nice truck, as others have said, people get rid of vehicles for different reasons, Should get a good warranty, not to worry!! Doc

11. Feb 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
  12. Feb 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    here is another view of that VIN http://www.truckcityford.com/index....51692&vehicle=2010_Toyota_Tacoma PreRunner V6

I got rid of a 2010 Honda Accord with 7K for mine...The dealer went over every panel and did paint thickness tests because Carfax will not report a recent accident. It takes quite awhile to show up on Carfax. People change into different vehicles for all kinds of reasons. I thought I wanted a 2 door coupe a couple years ago. I decided it was a waste of space and cut my losses trading basically key to key for my Tacoma.

If you can get thet truck for less than $24K maybe.... The price is not all that good. Im guessing they will take $2500 less. You may be able to buy new for not much more than they are asking... maybe $1500-$2000 more buys you the 2011.

http://www.truecar.com/Toyota/Tacom...90438,6790437,6790465,6790491,6790460,6807251

13. Feb 5, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    ^^^ This!

I had a 98 honda accord ex-v6 that I bought brand new. Had a lady crash into the back of me while I was sitting in traffic and there was a few grand in damage. Insurance was involved so all info was reported. I sold it in 2004 for an Infiniti G35C. During the trade-in they did a carfax on the accord and it came up clean.

Fast forward to the Infiniti... I hit a deer going 25mph, did over $7k in damage. Again, insurance paid for everything and all info was reported to the insurance company. On the auto forums there are frequent 'free car fax time periods' so I did the search and the Infiniti came up clear on the carfax.

One more story with my wife's 2001 Sequoia (we still own it). She was hit in a 'hit and run' with only a few thousand in damage. Went through insurance and got it fixed back in the 2004 timeframe. To this day it has a clear carfax.

Carfax is a joke IMO!

14. Feb 5, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    boxxed

boxxed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    I am not so sure about carfax. I had a van that I wrecked the front end. Turned it into my insurance company got the van fixed. About 2 years after that I had access to carfax so I ran my vans VIN for the hell of it, well it did'nt show the that it was in an accident at all. Dont know why but it was not there.

15. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    You want the car fax to make sure there are no previous accidents that show up. When you trade it someday and if there are priors, it will decrease the value even though you didnt wreck it. Not all accidents show as stated above, my wifes CRV had 9 k never showed. So... I would only get to make sure it pops clean, then check for accidents the old fashion way by looking at body lines etc.

Good Luck,

16. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    If I remember right, a single cafrax search was $ 5 and an unlimited block for 30 days was about $20. If you are going to spend a ton of money on a truck, dont be a jerk and get the report yourself

17. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    jg7

jg7 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    The silver one is debadged. There's an obvious stain on the driver seat, and there is an alarm LED in spare button spot. Not saying any of this is bad necessarily, but an indicator of tinkering with an otherwise stock used Taco. I am very picky so it is hard to pull the trigger on anything used, especially with 2012 redesign *possibly* looming....

Everyone is right CarFax does suck ass, but if they DO show something it must be pretty bad.

18. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Indeed.....

Carfax has access to eight billion records from more than 34,000 sources, including motor vehicle departments for all 50 U.S. states and all 10 Canadian provinces. The company's information sources include U.S. state title and registration records, auto and salvage auctions, Canadian motor vehicle records, rental and fleet vehicle companies, consumer protection agencies, state inspection stations, extended warranty companies, insurance companies, fire and police departments, manufacturers, inspection companies, service and repair facilities, dealers and import/export companies.[6]
    Although Carfax continuously expands its database and resources, some information is not allowed to be provided. Under the 1994 Drivers Privacy Protection Act, personal information such as names, telephone numbers and addresses of current or previous owners are neither collected nor reported.[7] Carfax does not have access to every facility and mistakes are sometimes made by those who input data. In the event information is disputed but cannot be verified, Carfax allows consumers and dealerships to add information to its reports AS if...

Products Discussed in

To Top