1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can someone enlighten me about exhausts systems?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Chopper678, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Jul 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    tacomabaker

tacomabaker Been there done that

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    Flowmaster exhaust, K&N Cold air intake, bilstein sport suspension, custom system
    Look if you are looking for performance on your truck than you are going to have to replace the headers all the way to the tips. just the muffler and and exhaust wont do enough. but just like what i did in my truck i got a cold air intake which boosted mpgs, horsepower, torque, and response. until you get that you are just blowing air. literally

2. Jul 4, 2011 at 12:40 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    :eek:

3. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Those "Cold air" intakes dont do much either. Most draw the air from the engine bay, where as the OEM intake pulls it from the fender. The only "Cold Air" intake that actually works as described is the URD unit.

4. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Ahh, now I understand what you are talking about. Some high-performance cars use an exhaust system where above certain RPMs it opens a valve to another set of exhaust pipes, thereby increasing exhaust pipe size and increasing flow. Allows smaller "normal" pipes to help low-mid RPMs, and opens the valve to allow better high RPM breathing.

I don't know of any kit or aftermarket parts to enable this, but also haven't looked. I would suspect the gain would not be worth the cost to retrofit that on a Tacoma.

5. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    High quality advice!

6. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    :facepalm:

7. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    just get whichever one you think sounds the best. Any performance difference will be absolutely miniscule. i went with the aero 2525 after spending a week listening to sound clips, and I am more than happy. Sounds beautiful. take power/mpg/butt dyno out of the equation. Do not listen to anyone telling you they gained *** horsepower without them posting dyno charts because they are pulling the number out of their ass.

this topic has been beaten to hell and back. search the forums and all your questions have been answered a million time. but to make your life easy ill answer it for you again, get the exhaust that you think sounds the best. and also, the dual exhaust out the back looks retarded.

8. Jul 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 [OP] Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Thanks, man! What about Banks exhaust? Whipper has those, and he does seem to know what he's doing when it comes to truck parts.

Every Dyno I've seen on headers (On Tacomas at least) has seemed to lost HP... And as far as the CAI, I'm pretty sure the stock intake is just as good, or that's what everyone else says.

And isn't that one a bit dangerous? Or are there no downsides? (I'm talking about trash getting in through the grill)

Ah, I see, thanks man! Finally someone gets what I was talking about. Lol

Yeah, sorry, I know as long as these forums have been here it's BOUND to have been answered, but I did search :/ maybe just not in the right place. And about dual rear exits... I hate those. Every pair I've seen just doesn't fit and seems to dangle there. Literally. I'd like Dual side exits though. Or is that what you meant looked retarded?

9. Jul 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can vouch for the MPG gain as well. I got the Aero Turbine AT2525 installed on mine too, shit is a nice muffler.

10. Jul 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Really? Well what about what A7XTaco said, about losing power and MPG?

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Input on exhausts will be the same as for air intakes. You'll get opinion on both sides. Only way to stay sane is to listen to the opinion, look for real data backing the results and consider the sources of the opinion. Do some general research on the hows and whys of intakes and exhausts and apply it to what you'd expect to happen. There's always some truth in everything you find. Good luck....

12. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    got data to prove this?

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    I was able to get 450 miles on a tank with an average of 24.7 mpg (look in my gallery and you'll see the pic of the scangauge reading. It underestimated fuel usage for the tank so it reads 24.5 though. I was never able to get this far before, but i was able to get to 400 when i tried.

I made 2 changes between making it to 400 to being able to make it to 450. I lifted from 1.75 in front and 1.5 in rear up to 2.75" front and 2.5" rear and i added the aero turbine run to duals.

I am going to be completely honest i personally don't think this is all because of the muffler. That significant change in fuel mileage being solely from a muffler change is absurd. I have been trying to figure out what else the change could have been, and another thing i have found to help with further testing is I believe i get better fuel mileage when i drive with all the windows down including the rear. But still there has to be something else that added too it that i have overlooked. But I can honestly say i do not think i lost anything as far as fuel mileage goes when i swithed to this from a dynomax super turbo.

I know you might not take me seriously because of my age but i did take automotive at a vocational high school and took bronze at a state level competition for vocational schools. I am by no means saying i know everything but I'm not just some dumb kid. ( I feel like that's how I'm treated on automotive matters )

I'm not going to argue the matter any further, I am not saying mine is the way to go or its the best. I am simply sharing my experience with the exhaust.

14. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I dunno, It seems with the Aero Turbine I had gains in both fields. Who know's.

Do butt dynos count? :rofl:

15. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    TacomoMoto

TacomoMoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Sport 6speed 4.0L
    Hey I just wondering if you picked a exhaust system

16. Jul 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The optimum max. exhaust diameter for these and the first gen trucks is 2.5". Any larger, and the bottom end of the hp (below 3500 rpm), goes into the crapper. The banks is a 3" system. Much too large, and slows down the scavenging of the exhaust. a 3" pipe has almost twice the volume of a 2.5" pipe. The "sweet spot" seems to be between 2.25" and 2.5" for these trucks.

As for the URD intake, being as its exposed at the front of the vehicle, it "could" be more suceptable to ingestion of water, or damage, but its not advertised as an off road intake, but rather a performance intake. I dont know of anyone who has had engine damage, or sucked water when running one, but I dont know anyone who off roads with one either.

17. Jul 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    How the hell are you getting 24MPG? I get 18... Do you drive on the highway or city? And what are the specs on your truck? If everyone's being honesty about their 22+ MPG around here I must have a stinkin' hole in my gas tank

Nah man I haven't even gotten to look much further... Everytime I look I find out new stuff that changes what I want. Plus I've been working a lot more lately.

2.5 eh? So does that mean if I get a dual exhaust I might as well kiss HP goodbye too? Or what if it's a dual 2.5 but it's only dual behind the muffler? Would that make it better? Aaah I'm so uneducated in this stuff

As for the TCAI... So do you think a URD would show any gains, or is it just better to keep stock?

Hmm... Thanks

18. Jul 10, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    Try not to use your brakes as much as possible, learn where you can let off the gas to coast to the next turn without braking. Braking turns your forward energy into heat, which is energy being lost from the system.

like when I'm driving home i know where to let off the gas so that i don't have to use my brakes to turn onto the side street i live on.

i get worse mpg's if i drive highway, unless i keep it around 60 mph (ill only do this if the highway isn't busy) the faster i go above that, the worse my fuel mileage.

I get the best mileage when i drive 45 on back roads that don't have many stop signs.

19. Jul 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that's what I do. I read all up on hypermiling before I started driving. But I drove a standard before my V6 and my question now is, if you throw an automatic in neutral while coasting (Like you do in a standard) does it save gas? Or is that ONLY with standards?

20. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Alright, gotta call you out on this one. How would coasting in N, with the engine at idle settings, give better milage then coasting in gear with the injectors off?

Products Discussed in

To Top