1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

can someone give me the low-down on chips?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xwillx93, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    An intake will just make it louder.

2. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Take a look at the #2 post from Gadget.
    http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7067

3. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Nothing you bolt on to your truck short of forced induction will do any measurable much less feel-able improvement. PERIOD. You will not find anyone claiming anything more than a "feeling" of increased throttle response, which is of course, just a matter of noise and vibration. Usually these things lag the throttle.

4. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    is it gonna emphasize the fast and the furious sound...

5. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    as to the post in the link...3 hp is beyond the threshold of accuracy for the dyno. Different day, different temps, humidity, setup, tire pressure (depending on the dyno) can make a larger difference than that even on a low horsepower car.

6. Jan 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    ya know what...thank you. i just kinda realized we have trucks... not street racers. i only care about gettin through that mud pile or on top of that rock hahaha. well thanks everyone!

7. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    Made a night and day difference on my '87 Grand National:cool:

8. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I'll let you all know once mines in

9. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    After it was installed the only difference I noticed is that my Tundra shifted gears (automatic) at a higher rpm and seemed much more pronounced. My quarter mile times were almost identical from before and after. After about 1 year my engine started to throw CEL's. Brought it into toyota and they said it may have been a dirty MAF sensor. They reset the codes. A few months later I started my truck and after a minute it shut off and could not be restarted. I let the truck sit for a couple of hours and it started right up. I brought it to toyota and once again they said the error code was the MAF sensor. The tech who I trust stated that he suspected that the unichip was the problem. With many calls to Unichip they consistantly stated that it couldnt be the chip. Long story short, a few months later while driving on the highway out of nowhere my engine shut off. couldnt get the truck started so I removed the unichip (big pain in the ass). The truck started right up and ran like a charm. I sent the chip to unichip and after two months received it back with them telling me there was a loose wire. It looked like they did nothing to the chip. I reinstalled it-same problem. Sent it back to them and after a lot of bitching they sent me a supposed new unit. Had the toyota tech intall that one. During his test drive the truck would not shift out of 4th gear (there are 6 gears in auto trans on the tundra 5.7). He came to a stop and then continued with even a worse situation, the truck would not shift out of 2nd gear. He pulled the unit out and the truck was perfect. Unichip was supposed to send me an updated new chip- Still waiting,its been 9 months and I have since sold the tundra for a tacoma.

10. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    100% different animal. Both the car and the "chip". Though I'm curious as to what numbers day is.

Those rave reviews are from forum kiddies and planted from the sellers themselves many times.

Products Discussed in

To Top