1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can someone with a TRD Pro look at their wheels for me?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Prospector520, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    I agree that it's a slow process. Most people would just get fed up and forget about it, this is what they hope I believe. Keep at them and you'll get what you want in the end.

Op let us know how you make out.

2. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:39 PM
    1bad2k

1bad2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO
    One of my wheels had a large gouge next to a lug nut when I took delivery of my trd pro. I figured it was leftover adhesive at the time. What's funny is that tonight I tried to use my finger nail to scrape it off finally, and realized it's a large gouge. Waaaaay too late for me to say anything now with 5K miles too lol.

3. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    Mitch09

Mitch09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    16' SR5 4x4 DCSB Super White

I guess your dealership could be different but mine mounted/balanced tires on rims I showed up with.

4. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    MeFryRice

MeFryRice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marietta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '16 QS Tacoma DCOR4x4
    The scratch you see going all around the face of the wheel is due to an old "foot" on the tire mounting machine that should have been replaced. To me, it looks like the wheel is painted and can easily be repaired. I'd give them a chance to have them repair it and if you're not satisfied with the repairs then request that they replace it. It's sucks but this is a very minor incident compared to much worse (imagine the truck falling off the lift or something).

I've purchased a handful of tires from Discount Tire and have never had an issue with any of their work. I've actually found them to be better than Kaufman, Tires Plus, etc. I found technician at the local Discount tire (he's a car enthusiast like us) and I make sure he's the only one that touches my truck. So far, no regrets.

Hank Heel and Prospector520[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 21, 2017 at 9:40 PM
    the_dau

the_dau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    lack of lubricant, and the head on the machine is old.

Prospector520[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 22, 2017 at 1:07 AM
    Jaggerbub

Jaggerbub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Diamond Bar 91765
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR 4X4
    Wow that looks terrible. I'd be pissed. Im having a set of tires mounted on my new black 4runner pro rims for my taco next week. Now that's got me worried.

7. Jan 22, 2017 at 6:44 AM
    Prospector520

Prospector520 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '17 Taco TRD Pro manual, '02 Taco TRD Prerunner auto
    The mobile detailer is gonna be here Monday. I've been working on the wheels a little myself hand polishing them and they're looking better.
    If I don't like the looks of this guy I may just buy a small 4" pad for my machine polisher and fix them myself. It's really not so bad, just really jumps out under a flashlight or camera flash.

shakerhood likes this.
  8. Jan 22, 2017 at 6:59 AM
    pc3coyote

pc3coyote www.pc3coyote.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    I had the exact same problem but with the 4Runner TRD Pro wheels as opposed to the Tacoma ones that you have. Mine are more of a matte black where yours appear to be glossier

My situation.. I bought the wheels from the dealership directly since they price matched an online price from another dealership. The tires were purchased online from 4WP. Wheels never left the dealership and went from Parts to Service. I did it at the dealership hoping for better quality (boy, was I wrong). They tried to charge me the cost for two sets of mount and balance fees (argument was that they have to unmount stock tires to get TPMS - my argument was they'd still remove them even if it was just new tires without new wheels). I finally won that one. Next, they installed the new tires on stock wheels the first time (with new wheels already paid for nowhere to be seen) so they had to redo it. The next day I went to pick it up again. They had the new wheels and tires on the truck finally but all four wheels had scratches on each rim (faint but definitely there) from poor installation. Once I inspected my stock wheels that they removed, they had even more damage from poor work. All 8 rims had the same scratch/gouge in a perfect circle around 1/2" from the lip. The stock wheels had additional gouges/bites around the lips of the wheels and on the faces of them. Long story short after 4 days without my truck, truck is currently on old scratched Pro wheels, dealership refunded me the full service cost, they are buying me new Pro wheels AND new stock wheels since they were less a month old (several days or more till they show up), I'll take the truck elsewhere to have the new Pro wheels installed, and then I'll return the old Pro wheels to them...

Before

After (looks good from a distance)

But up close...

9. Jan 22, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    either take the full dive or don't. if you go black you'll have lots of bits to attend to imo

10. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:27 PM
    Prospector520

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Looks just like mine. I have serious doubts my dealership would have done any better too. They have a new facility but they prob just brought the old tools over from the old building with worn out plastic bumpers or whatever they are. Will have to call around local shops and ask for "touchless" tire installation. The barrels of my wheels also seem to have excessive weights from the balancing too. Whole ordeal with Discount Tire has been a sh##ty nightmare.

11. Jan 23, 2017 at 3:29 AM
    pc3coyote

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    I'm sorry to hear that! I'm right there with ya

12. Jan 23, 2017 at 3:37 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    that damage is on them. old tire machine and most likely and untrained tech. they
    need to be replaced not repaired, you didn't just pay all that money on a new truck
    with beat up used wheels did you?

Prospector520[OP] likes this.
  13. Jan 23, 2017 at 3:46 AM
    AKTacoParty

AKTacoParty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Astoria, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    885s, Dakars, Bilsteins, Allpro Sliders, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, Wheelers Ubolt flip, super bumps, RCI front skid
    I agree with everyone, DT's fault. The marks look like the foot on the tire machine was touching the rim. I used to change tires and the shop I worked at had old machines, none of that fancy touchless stuff. A good tire changer is aware of how easy it is to scratch wheels even with plastic feet on the machine. Shitty part is they are gonna buy you new rims but then want to put them on for you....

14. Jan 23, 2017 at 4:14 AM
    DJ TonyT

DJ TonyT 2017 TRD 4x4 Off Road DCSB - Sunroof and JBL

Member:
    First Name:
    TonyT
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Off Road DCSB - Sunroof and JBL
    I would be so pissed......untrained tech did this and they might not have a touchless machine. What a shame and now because of this you have a huge headache. Big Chief Tire here in Jacksonville has the touchless machine they use for these kinds of wheels, they know what they are doing. I wouldn't settle for a fix, I would want them replaced...they were new before they touched them! Good luck man!

15. Jan 23, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    Prospector520

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I hear you guys. Gonna push for full replacent. Dunno about those dopes putting the new ones on tho!

16. Jan 23, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    pc3coyote

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    17 BBP Sport DCSB 4x4
    In my case, I had the dealership refund me the service cost for the mount/balance and had them replace all 8 wheels (they damaged new Pro wheels AND my old Sport wheels). I picked up the truck with the scratched Pro wheels and when the new ones show up I'll pick them up and take it somewhere else to have them installed. I'll then return the damaged ones to them. They scratched 8 rims thus far, no way I'm letting them touch another new one.

DJ TonyT likes this.
  17. Jan 23, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    brich999

brich999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport AC
    all tore up already
    sorry to hear OP, looks like they dinged up your wheels for sure. good news is now you dont need to stress about putting the first ding on em off roading! and i got a chuckle, because best price and best work never go together!

18. Apr 25, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    2017OR

2017OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    TRD exhaust, Pro Grill, Access Tonneau cover, TRD Pro wheels, BumperShellz, Pro shift know, Yota LED grille lights
    Definitely painted with clear coat. I just had same wheels installed at dealership and they had to replace one that they scratched. Then, they scratched the new one as well. They were able to have the detailer buff it out however. Looks good now.

19. Apr 25, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    Just had BFG KO2s mounted on the 16" Pro Wheels last week. They did a good job and no scratches or issues.

When I ordered the 4 wheels, one of the boxes arrived damaged and the very edge of the rim had damage to the powder coating. I had the wheel replaced. When they were mounted to the tires, no damage to the wheels.

Hope you found a solution.

Products Discussed in

To Top