1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can you modify a vehicle that the bank owns?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by gjtacoma, May 5, 2013.

1. May 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    yea my bad. Pee pee on the other hand...Bitches love pee pee.

2. May 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Also, I suppose I shouldn't have been so hasty. Some bitches love a good hot lunch.

3. May 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail

hahah ........:puke:

4. May 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    they gotta have the cupes for that

5. May 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    packfan88

packfan88 Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    Youre thinking of a lease. You are turning that car back in to the dealer. Any mods will be deducted from the value of the car. If you 'buy' the car, the bank wont careone way or another what you do to it as long as you pay for the loan.

Now if you default on the loan, and your mods detract from the value of the car ... youre liable. If you added a new bumper and tires, they wont do anything to you. They will take it back, file a judgement against you for the balance and auction the car.

6. May 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Modify it. Modifications are a depreciating investment. say you plan on having a car 10 years. At year 10 your modifications are worth almost nothing when you sell it. If you put 5,000 into your truck after you have had it 5 years and paid it off. Your mods depriciate at 1,000 a year. If you mod on day 1. your mods depricate at only 500 a year and you get to enjoy them longer.

7. May 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, ICON 2.0 RR Ext rears, AP EXPO pack, Diff Wedge, Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Ride-Rite Bags w/ Daystars, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt skids, BAMF bolt on sliders BAMF diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB, etc.
    Agreed! :cool: Anything that depreciates is a liability, not an investment, though you may have spent tons of money on it. Enjoy it while you can, and, for insurance purposes, I suggest you take a picture of everything you add immediately after you add it, just in case somebody else decides you have a sweet ride and wants to borrow it, or use it as a bumper car.:eek:

8. May 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Should have said depreciating asset.

9. May 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    I mod mine and I'm still 50 payments away from owning it. And agreed. I didnt have 32k in cash but I make enough to pay extra on my payments and mod my truck.

10. May 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't just pay MORE extra on the payments and let the mods wait till you pay it off.

11. May 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I loaned 6k on my truck over 3 years and spent close to 5k in mods the first year I had it but I still had the loan paid off in a year and a half.

12. May 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Who likes waiting? Lol

13. May 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    enough to go over stuff
    Because you want the truck of your dreams but dont have enough money to payoff the truck and complete the build.

Example:

You just bought a house. You got a 30 year loan on the house but you have always wanted a pool. A pool costs a lot more then the value it adds to your house. You want to enjoy the pool the 30 years you live there. Not wait to payoff the house before you get the pool.

14. May 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    exactly,.....You might have problems in the future. I say live it like there is no tomorrow:)

15. May 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Actually, since the vehicle itself depreciates over time, it's not really an investment. You don't buy, at least not realistically buy, a vehicle with the goal of getting any substantial financial return on the money spent. Instead, it, along with anything done to it, is an expense. Your return on that expense is the use you'll hopefully get from the vehicle (& any mods) over time.

Okay, perhaps I can explain with an example. I buy a truck to tow a travel trailer - the modification I want. Your premise is that I wait to buy the travel trailer until the truck is paid off. Of course, by that time, the truck, now years older, is not really capable any longer of reliably towing a trailer. I've now defeated the whole purpose of buying the truck. Of course, I could just buy another truck, but then I'd have to wait once again until it's paid off before buying the trailer. This process could repeat indefinitely, without ever the benefits of a travel trailer.

Actually, your premise taken to its logical extreme, might even be an better example. Why are you buying a truck on time? Why didn't you just wait on the truck until you could pay it off? Your likely response is that you needed or wanted the truck. Well, others need or want the modifications.

Of course, this is not exactly living like there's no tomorrow (as another said). The money is ultimately coming out of your pockets, whether its cash now or payments tomorrow. Given that, you had best consider tomorrow darn carefully.

16. May 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Key difference, "mods" to a house increase its value. Mods to a truck decrease it.

Thanks, that makes sense.

17. May 10, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    gjtacoma

gjtacoma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I don't understand why you would wait! Why make big payments on a truck thats not exactly what I want? At least I'll get to enjoy my mods for more years and while the truck still has low miles. The only money I'd save by paying off the loan early is probably a moot point when looking at the big picture of 10+years, especially considering the coin is going to be dropped on mods either now or later...

18. May 10, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.

x3

19. May 10, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Good analogy. I did that 3 yrs ago..once we paid off my wife's Rav4 we financed the pool purchase (had the $$ for install, wiring, and such). Didn't want to do it that way but it benefited us in that she just had shoulder surgery and could do her rehab in the pool versus spending nearly a grand to do it at a PT place.

Not the same, but I didn't want to wait 30 years to repair the crappy drywall in my spare room either.

Similarly, I bought the Nerf bars for my truck in part to help my father in law when I take him to appointments..he has Alzheimers and has trouble getting in my truck otherwise.

20. May 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Not always true. The $7k I spent for my pool and deck best case keep me even, worst case might decrease my home value a little. The "attractive nuisance" thing..plus not everybody would use one so if a retired couple moved in it would be useless to them.

I'm sure it didn't go up a lot, but adding the delay wiper switch to my 2010 Tacoma probably is better than not having it to the average bear.

Products Discussed in

To Top