1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canadian 3rd Gen Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TheRenegade, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Jun 13, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    Khrolar

Khrolar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    4 door 2017 trd off-road,
    None... :(
    i asked the head mechanic about that, mine was replaced not due to the recall, but due to the noise. before having it replaced i had no signs of seepage from the diff. it only made noise.

2. Jun 13, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    irishrye

irishrye Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria Jim Pattison Toyota is no better.

3. Jun 13, 2017 at 7:35 PM
    CZ5ANM Taco

CZ5ANM Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Manual 35x11.5s
    Front Suspension King Ext Fronts 700# Icon UCA delta joints JD fab spindle gussets All Pro cam tabs DuroBumps Warfab steering sleeves Rear Suspension Old Man Emu leafs -Radflo Ext travel rears Timbrens ubolt flip kit SCS stealth 6 Wheels 35x11.5 Maxxis Razr [ 34.5 x 9.75 on 8.5 rim not on truck] Heavy Stuff Relentless front bumper Smitty 3rd Gen winch Big County Customs skid plates Arc One industries rear HC bumper RCI sliders Misc Arb dual compressor Arb rear locker Pelfreybilt fuse panel tray Cali raised ditch light mounts Cali raised bed stiffeners 5th Gen 4runner LED fog lights Racks Retraxone XR tonneau Yakima load bars Sherpa Roof Rack Camping Smittybilt Tent Dometic CFX50 fridge
    Because torquing a gasket that has already leaked isn't always going to stop a leak. Bringing the torque up to new spec isn't going to help if the bolts break which is as I've read from a few people has happened. My torque wrench is calibrated and these other guys on TW claim that theirs was too.

Had I done it the first day I brought it home like I did my u-bolts I wouldn't care at all. Now I'm 25,000km. Second unknown is how much lower rear diff actually is on fluid level, and for how long. Where do you draw the line on giving toyota free labour and parts? They don't give me anything for free.

Haha not overly concerned in the big picture, plan is and always was to throw an arb in their so. More disappointed in dealerships and their attitudes.

4. Jun 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    TinoTaco

TinoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nanaimo
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DCSB Off-Road - White
    I get that its frustrating, and I'm by no means on the dealers side, but you wanted a dealer to look at a picture and say 'Yes we'll replace your gaskets' without a recall letter from Toyota. Somebody has to pay the bill at the end of the day, be it the customer, the dealer or the manufacturer...
    Until recall letters show up in the mail or your VIN is on the formal recall list nobody is going to be doing work for free.

Rowdymoon likes this.
  5. Jun 14, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    Rowdymoon

Rowdymoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Courtice Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno OR SB Canada
    6112's and 5160's

......and if there is no recall and the dealer did it for free than the dealer eats the cost...if there is a recall than the dealer is covered from Toyota and looses no coin.........does this sound about right?.

TinoTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jun 14, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    TinoTaco

Member:
    Nanaimo
    Vehicle:
    Bingo... and if there was a cost left to the dealer (ie their shop rate was more than Toyota Canada was going to cover for labour) then they'd have an allowance set up in their annual budgets for it.
    I could see if you bought a few vehicles from a dealer, they'd want to appease you and do the work no questions asked to ensure you came back to them to buy your next vehicle. It just doesn't work like that anymore.
    Dealers make their money on service now, not new vehicles sales.

7. Jun 14, 2017 at 1:47 PM
    CZ5ANM Taco

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Front Suspension King Ext Fronts 700# Icon UCA delta joints JD fab spindle gussets All Pro cam tabs DuroBumps Warfab steering sleeves Rear Suspension Old Man Emu leafs -Radflo Ext travel rears Timbrens ubolt flip kit SCS stealth 6 Wheels 35x11.5 Maxxis Razr [ 34.5 x 9.75 on 8.5 rim not on truck] Heavy Stuff Relentless front bumper Smitty 3rd Gen winch Big County Customs skid plates Arc One industries rear HC bumper RCI sliders Misc Arb dual compressor Arb rear locker Pelfreybilt fuse panel tray Cali raised ditch light mounts Cali raised bed stiffeners 5th Gen 4runner LED fog lights Racks Retraxone XR tonneau Yakima load bars Sherpa Roof Rack Camping Smittybilt Tent Dometic CFX50 fridge
    @Rowdymoon @TinoTaco

I respect both of your comments, but something is being over looked here.

It's a 2016 under power train warranty. A leak should be a leak.

No body at the dealership is doing a repair for free.

If coolant was leaking from my engine they would have to replace the part leaking regardless of recall or not.

This should not be any different from a leaking rear differential.

Haha or am I the crazy one here?!?

TinoTaco and over60 like this.
  8. Jun 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Totally agree... the issue is "what constitutes a leak"..... You might have to ask The Donald about that one.... He thinks his Comey is leaking... hehehe :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I doubt there is any warranty on that one.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. Jun 14, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    the_dau

the_dau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    What you classify as a leak, does not necessarily mean it falls within Toyota's guidelines as a leak. Pretty sure it's in the owner's manual.

At VW, a "leak" is an active drip of fluid, where the build up runs off the vehicle and onto the ground. To us, your picture would be considered as "weeping"...not a leak and therefore not warrantable.

10. Jun 15, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    TinoTaco

Member:
    Nanaimo
    Vehicle:
    @CZ5ANM Taco good call on the warranty point, fair enough. Even warranty work needs to be diagnosed tho... just saying its hard for anyone to say 'Yep sure we'll do the work' without it going on the hoist and taking a look.
    @the_dau has a good point too... the legal-eese of what a leak is can get tricky. At the end of the day the whole situation is frustrating. Hopefully a solution comes to pass soon.

11. Jun 20, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    MikeLinterman

MikeLinterman Toyota Certified Truck Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    June 26, Toyota will be sending letters regarding the campaign on the rear diff. This is what it will say if you get the letter.

What is the condition?
    In the involved vehicles, there is the possibility that the rear differentials that may leak oil. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the rear differential could become damaged, which can result in noise and reduced propulsion. In some cases the rear differential could seize, resulting in a loss of control of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash.

What should you do?
    We appreciate your patience while we prepare parts for the remedy. Once remedy preparations are complete, you will receive a second owner notification letter. The inspection, and if required, the repair will be performed at NO COST to you.
    If you have recently visited your Toyota dealership, they may have already inspected your vehicle for any oil leak from the rear differential. If your Dealer inspected the rear differential, found no leaks and re-torqued the differential carrier nuts, then the recall is considered complete, and you will not receive a follow-up notification.
    If you have any other questions, please contact your Toyota dealership for assistance. Your Toyota dealer will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
    We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products, and sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.
    Thank you for driving a Toyota. We appreciate your continued patronage.

Herniator likes this.
  12. Jun 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    Scruffie

Scruffie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Access TRD OR Manual
    265/75/16Dura,SSO Hybrid,X20,CruisinSliders,Skids
    Now 7 days since you were there. Today had mine in for 1 year /16,000 k Service at Jim Pattison automall. Had a couple other small issues fixed at the same time, while I was getting the service. Pointed out the rear diff seaping in a couple places and they said no problem and they would check it out as well. Long story short is, it seems they have no parts to repair it with currently. But they do confirm the very mild seap and will repair when parts available. Can't really ask for much more than that. If it stays at the current rate of leaking it would be years before I would have to worry about it. The two small spots where the two housings join is the leak with another small spot on the other side. Disregard the splattering of the other grease spots. Caused by them being a little over zealous with the grease gun on the u-joints. I did them once when I first bought the truck and it never produced splatter like that.

P1040851_zpsdqdfvovv_417c8f0ec0fa0d6bf210c4a73cebe02271320701.jpg

P1040849_zpsuoxq8bwv_67fd6967bc845526ae996a216f75d9a963645dad.jpg

13. Jun 20, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Are you kidding me....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.........Caused by them being a little over zealous with the grease gun on the u-joints.

I cannot believe it.....a DEALER...."over zealous with a grease gun...?? About time...!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. Jun 20, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    CZ5ANM Taco

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    On your service work sheet, on parts consumed, did it list they used a new rear crusher washer on fill plug of rear diff?

Secondly even before this whole recall started there have been a few threads on guys who changed rear diff on their own at home only to find the rear diff was low. 1/2L low if I remember correctly.

Seeing a leak and calling it a leak is cool... but work order should atleast reflect someone stuck their finger in there to measure level.

over60 likes this.
  15. Jun 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree with this statement... I checked mine and it was 1/2 liter low.....front diff down a cup also...!!

16. Jun 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    Scruffie

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    Did you not read what I wrote????
    They have not even started to repair the seaping in the rear end yet.
    I understand the procedure as I'm a mechanic with my own shop. Anyone wants to visit me in Portkells is more than welcome. I Always have cold beer in the fridge. All drivetrain fluids were checked and were fine when I personally checked them. The Zerks required 3 pumps when I bought the truck, as only the standard manufacturing/assembly grease was in the uni's, which is par for the course on a newly assembled vehicle. When you pump too much grease in the zerk on a universal it will push out of the seal cups. So when spinning at the rate a driveshaft does when running down the freeway , will splatter all over the F'in place. Hence makes for real the sloppy grease job splattering results. Bonus being less places to rust. ;)

TinoTaco likes this.
  17. Jun 21, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    Cold_Toad

Cold_Toad Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have to say, that much grease splatter make me wonder if they actually pumped any grease into the zerk or if they misconnected and just pumped grease around the zerk instead.

18. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    Scruffie

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    No. They just pumped so much grease into each zerk, that the grease has blown out BigTime, from the universal cap rubber seal cups. 4 on each universal. Oh they got more than enough grease into the uni's. Now its all over under my truck

19. Jun 21, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    TinoTaco

Member:
    Nanaimo
    Vehicle:
    @Scruffie Hey man what's your shop called? I live a few minutes away from Port Kells, I'd love to hit ya up for service when needed!

20. Jun 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    Scruffie

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    Steering Solutions is my company. It's a fairly specialized business, remanufacturing steering systems and components. Power and manual steering gears, control valves, pumps, rack & pinion, steering upgrades etc. Stop in for a BS session sometime if your in this neck of the woods. I'm on 192nd, right across the street from WasteTech, the GVRD transfer station.

TinoTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top