1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canadian 3rd Gen Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TheRenegade, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Rider Eh!

Rider Eh! Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport V6 Manual 4X4
    Just to generate a bit more discussion, if I look at the #2 service which I plan on doing this week, the only items that I see that aren't do it yourself are the engine oil, torque and lube propeller shaft, inspect brakes/pads/calipers/hoses, inspect diff and transfer case vents, inspect drive belts.

The remaining items I don't see failing and aren't worth them doing (ie inspect wiper blades) or I can do myself (air/cabin filters).

The problem is I think I'd have a hard time just bringing it in for what's required to maintain warranty and them not running the bill up to the required #2 service anyways, as they will probably try to charge you a minimum 1 hr shop time.

2. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    Midknight

Midknight Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road
    I was also thinking the same, but will probably do the 8000 as I've had my truck for a year now (don't really drive it much), so paying for service every year or so isn't too bad I don't think

3. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:36 AM
    Tacomittr

Tacomittr Member

Member:
    Niagara, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport DC
    Completely false.

a400ryan, EB Group and over60 like this.
  4. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    bryanjoh

bryanjoh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD Sport
    Not really seeing anything here though that says the services must be completed by Toyota, just that proper records must be kept, which I think I am doing.

EB Group likes this.
  5. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    On what basis? Refer to my previous post #3540, this is direct from the manual.

I'd just like to point out to everyone else this is your first post.

6. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:49 AM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, but they expect a qualified tech to do the things that are not do-it-yourself.

I hope someone can prove me wrong, but I don't believe so.

7. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    Tacomittr

Tacomittr Member

Member:
    Niagara, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport DC
    On the basis that they don't specifically say you can't do your own oil changes or other maintenance. And the fact that every vehicle warranty in NA isn't voided by doing your own maintenance, assuming you keep receipts, mark your mileage, and use appropriate fluids.

EB Group and over60 like this.
  8. Aug 16, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    Cold_Toad

Cold_Toad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First post has nothing to do with it, he's right. As long as you keep records that the maintenance was performed your warranty is still valid, it's no different than going to a drive through oil change place those don't void your warranty either. But do what ever makes you feel better, your truck and your money.

EB Group, TinoTaco and Tacomittr like this.
  9. Aug 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    If you go through a drive through lube place. Have them sign your maintenance manual with the date, KM, etc.

10. Aug 16, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    Cold_Toad

Member:
    That little book means nothing, any one can sign that book that doesn't count as proof service was done. You need to keep receipts for the work, whether that be the bill from the lube place or the receipt from walmart with the oil and filter on it.

coma toy likes this.
  11. Aug 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    Obviously you need to keep the receipts too.

12. Aug 16, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Then how do you keep receipts or prove maintenance for torqueing or lubricating the drive shaft?

13. Aug 16, 2017 at 10:49 AM
    Cold_Toad

Member:
    I know they sure didn't lube my front drive shaft at the factory or before I picked it up, so I don't have much faith they will do it at the service. I'll run the risk of voiding the drive shaft warranty.

14. Aug 16, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I just booked an appointment for my Service #2 for Friday. Since they are giving me a free oil change, it's going to cost me about $95 instead of the $160, but I need to take it in anyways for a leaking rear diff and some other concerns so I'm going to go ahead and pay for this one. I may start doing the rest on my own though and recording as I did a quick calculation, and it looks like it would cost me about $1000 for everything to hit the 60k mark when base warranty is up. Keep the receipts for the other drivetrain warranty and should be good I think.

15. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Well $95.00 is a great price for a "free oil change".... I thought Oil was cheaper in Alberta than out east, but I do my oil changes for about $35.00 and I know it's done properly and the grease gets into the U joints... etc... The rest of that "sunshine Service" is not worth letting put their greasy hands on MY truck.!! (Sunshine Service means that they open the hood and let the sun hit your motor and then close it).... Really....that's all they do. They just look at this and that and close the hood. (Inspect)..

My truck came from the plant with low tranny Fluid, rear end juice, front diff juice and they did not grease the driveshaft zerks.... They would NOT check the tranny on their dime so I told them to F off and did it myself.. the truck runs great ever since. Tranny was 1 1/2 liters low...rear end...1/2 liter... front diff 1/4 liter.... zerks were dry.

By the way YOU may do all that MTCE yourself... it will not void the warranty.!! Don't fall for that bullshit..!

69TACO16 likes this.
  16. Aug 16, 2017 at 11:14 PM
    Sailor22

Sailor22 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TC
    NE British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    Well, my truck just came back from service #2, and it looks like they changed the oil and ticked every box on the inspection sheet. But since I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, before I dropped it off: I decided to mark the wheels, and diff fill plugs. When I picked it up, I did a quick walk around and checked the wheels. To my surprise they didn't rotate the tires? So I looked a little further underneath and saw the diff plugs hadn't been touched. I was furious but bit my tongue and drove home. When I got home I couldn't stand it so I called the service department and asked to confirm they had completed all the items on the service 2 list? the service advisor assured me that yes, they did. So I asked why they didn't remove the wheels to do the brake inspection as per the list. He told me it wasn't necessary. So then I asked him how they rotated the tires without removing the wheels? He told me that my wheels didn't need to be rotated. Having heard enough I asked the final question, "I see that you checked the transmission fluid how did you do that?" He told that they pulled the dipstick... I said thanks and left it at that. I have a call into the general manager at the dealership. He hasn't called me back yet. It is not going to be a nice conversation. I am going to use words like fraud, better business bureau, and refund.

over60 and 69TACO16 like this.
  17. Aug 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM
    the_dau

the_dau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    Toyota CANNOT deny your warranty unless they can prove without any doubt that you neglected to maintain the vehicle. Things like oil analysis companies can provide an unbiased opinion of your oil, and can determine if it's been neglected or not. The amount of trouble a dealer would have to go through to argue over it, probably isn't worth their time, money OR the possible bad press.

My dealer, which is part of the auto group I work for, confirmed that I can perform my own maintenance on the truck. I just need to get them to mark down my mileage and date on my parts receipts.

18. Aug 17, 2017 at 4:09 AM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    Wow what a load of shit from them. Keep us posted

19. Aug 17, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure how you are doing an oil change so cheap? Even on sale at Crappy Tire the best I can find is oil at about $40 for 4.5 L (we need more than that) and then we need a filter on top of that. That's impressive!

69TACO16 likes this.
  20. Aug 17, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    Homesteader64

Homesteader64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White 17 DCSB TRD OR
    5 litres of Formula 1 0-20 was about $26 tax in last week, and a factory filter and crush washer. I don't count grease cost.

I like doing it myself for the most part. Still not a big fan of the new filter. On the plus side my wife's Rav uses same oil and filters.

To Top