1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canadian 3rd Gen Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TheRenegade, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Nov 17, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    Brostjoe

Brostjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DCLB
    Now that the OR is offered in leather what does the limited have over it? No locking diff in the limited is a big set back... OR now has moon roof also.

2. Nov 17, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    Guessing not much but you probably have to wait for price. By the time you add all the options, pricing would probably be close. On the US site, it's less than a $1000 difference.

Brostjoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Nov 17, 2017 at 6:15 PM
    the_dau

the_dau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    Fuck you Toyota Canada. I wanted a moon roof with my truck...

4. Nov 17, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    crunchiespg

crunchiespg Active Member

Member:
    I’m the opposite. I want a manual transmission without all the added crap they put on the sport model like the moonroof. Hate them. What is their point? Lose headroom, more weight, too noisy to open in the summer. Pointless in the winter.
    I’m still hoping they bring a double cab off road manual for 2018 to Canada.

Q-town Ranger likes this.
  5. Nov 17, 2017 at 6:39 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    But ya luv the skewp tho, dontcha lol

the_dau and Pittrider like this.
  6. Nov 17, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    crunchiespg

Member:
    No. I’d actually like a base sr model with seats and a steering wheel. But that’s never going to happen in Canada.

I’m so sick of new cars with all this crap we don’t need.

I’m actually now at the stage where I think I’ll just buy an older Toyota Yaris in manual and remove the rear seats and use it like a little van for my business.
    Then I’ll try and find an older tacoma that won’t get driven every day, just when we need the space for family trips and hauling.

Right now I have a pretty new 5 seat cargo van that does both, but I honestly can’t do another winter with an auto transmission. It’s my first auto ever and I hate hate hate them.

7. Nov 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    Yes, but a base SR model...with a skewp!

Try to find a 1st gen 4Runner....manual, solid front axle. It fits all your needs above. Finding one, level 8 difficulty

Pittrider likes this.
  8. Nov 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    crunchiespg

Member:
    4 runners don’t have the cargo room I need for when we need more space.
    My van has over 4 feet long cargo area and about the same high. So the plan was a Tacoma with a topper. But as much as I like the truck all the extra junk they fit is putting me off buying one.
    Why can’t we just have a basic vehicle? I don’t need touch screen butt massaging seats.
    I just want seating for 5 cargo space and a manual box.

bigmw likes this.
  9. Nov 17, 2017 at 7:30 PM
    Pittrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do what I do, put it into S mode and shift it like a manual in the snow, works similar without the clutch.

10. Nov 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    crunchiespg

Member:
    No. It doesn’t. Not at all.
    If you think it does you clearly haven’t driven a manual enough. An auto inherently wants to keep going. You have to brake to stop it. A manual not so, so when winter driving you have to fight against your own car.
    Plus autos are so slow to react to what you want. Even with your fancy s mode. Tell it you want a lower gear, wait, wait a bit more. Ok now the car decides to downshift.

Autos are terrible up hill. Down hill. In bad weather. Or when you need the car to do something pre planned. An auto can not be proactive. It can only react.

A human driving a manual in contrast can plan ahead.

Not even getting on to the reliability and economy. A manual maybe will need a clutch in the cars life time. Maybe. Good luck if your auto trans goes wrong and you’re down $5k to fix it.

Yes yes I know you’ll say autos are more economical than manuals, but that doesn’t seem to play true in the real world.
    I’ve driven and tracked every fuel up for over 1.5million km on various cars and I always get better economy with a manual than any other auto, despite what the manufacturers say.

The only reason autos are popular here is because Americans have become lazy and complacent and think Cadillac is a luxury standard.

The only argument people have for auto is in traffic. Well having lived 25 years in the U.K. where traffic is 10 times worse than anywhere in North America I did just fine.

Plus on top of all that, when talking about the Tacoma auto transmission, don’t forget it’s absolutely shit compared to most auto trans. A good auto is bad enough, I don’t need to spend $45k on a really bad auto.

bigmw likes this.
  11. Nov 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    Pittrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    On the manual part, I've owned 2 Jeeps, both manual, so I'd disagree on the experience part, but ok, everyone has an opinion. Shifting to neutral at a low speed takes the torque off the drivetrain, so a combination of downshifting in S Mode and Neutral gives you the same effect in snow as a manual has worked for me. We can agree to disagree.

12. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    crunchiespg

Member:
    Lol. You think shifting to nuetral is a solution???? You do realise that is called coasting and is illegal in most places and stupid? It also wastes fuel, and is a band aid solution to the fact an auto box simply isn’t as good as a manual.

Somewhat proves my point about you thinking an auto could in any way act like a manual.

13. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    Pittrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Everybody has an opinion, respect yours. :thumbsup:

Illegal? Who cares? If I don't end up hitting the back of the vehicle in front of me, I don't really care.

It's a trade-off for those who drive in traffic 90% of their time. Auto saves clutch plates.

14. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    the_dau

the_dau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    it's my daily, I like my creature comforts. every vehicle I've owned has had a moon roof up til now. Always have it open in the summer....along with all the windows down

Pittrider likes this.
  15. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    crunchiespg

Member:
    Clutch plates? Really?
    $150 for a clutch vs $5000 for when your auto box shits the bed.
    Plus if you learn how to drive a clutch will last longer than the car anyway. Again another symptom of North American mentality who need hill start assist with a manual as most don’t know the hand brake is also for hill starts.
    I put 400,000km on my vw diesel clutch. That car is still going strong with its new owner at over 500,000. Still original clutch.

And you’ll car when you do crash as you’re not in proper control of your vehicle and your insurance pulls the data from the vehicle showing you were driving incorrectly. Plus if you get seen doing it the police will take great pleasure giving you a ticket for it. I did in my career as it is a completely stupid idea. And this was as a cop who never gave out a single speeding ticket in my career, but there is a special kind of stupid associated with coasting.

Honestly if you think coasting is a solution you should probably stop sharing your opinions. They make you look foolish.

Like I said there is nothing like real traffic on this continent. The rest of the world survives fine driving in real traffic with manuals.
    Lack of skill isn’t an excuse for an inferior product to cover for that lack of skill.
    Try driving a cosworth Subaru sti in traffic with the worlds heaviest clutch. If I can manage that I’m sure I’ll be fine with any other clutch and I’m sure they’ll outlast any car I choose to own like they have done all my life so far.

16. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    Pittrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    :thumbsup:

Your opinion counts...thanks!

Not that I agree with it, but I'm just one individual, I'm sure there are there lots of others here with other opinions. Both ways.

17. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    crunchiespg

Member:
    Difference is my opinion matches the law, and the advice of every reputable source on driving on the planet.
    Your advice to use coasting in winter driving conditions is actually making a bad situation worse. Autos suck in winter compared to a manual. That’s a fact of physics.
    Putting an auto into neutral makes the situation even worse as you have lost all connection to your wheels. So when turning in icy conditions you have now seriously compromised your vehicle balance and therefore made your cornering worse. Again physics based fact, not opinion. A car is most stable under steady acceleration.

Have a read of this. Has some basic info about how it’s a bad idea. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a5977/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy/

18. Nov 17, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    Pittrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    We could argue on this all night, I was talking on coming up in traffic in front of me in snow or ice. Shifting down and then to neutral will stop you in shorter distance than leaving it in D, there is no argument to that. It's exactly the same thing you would do with a manual tranny.

I get that steering out of a situation, with traction, would help in some circumstances, but that has nothing to do with a manual vs an automatic. They would react the same.

Herniator likes this.
  19. Nov 17, 2017 at 9:07 PM
    crunchiespg

Member:
    Again you’re wrong.
    Why would I put a manual in neutral to stop? You stop quicker in a manual in gear. You should never ever do anything in neutral. Stop giving bad advice.

You can stop a manual from any speed in any gear in a manual. No need to downshift. You shouldn’t downshift to slow down.
    Gears are for going not for slowing. You adjust your speed with brakes or through natural deceleration by removing the fuel by taking your foot off the gas. then select the correct gear for the new speed. Not the other way around. People who force the car to slow by forcibly downshifting are just as stupid as those who coast.

And no auto and manuals do not react the same. Again physics not opinion proves that.

Even in an auto what you describe isn’t true.

20. Nov 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM
    Pittrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Ok, so 1st gear under 800RPM, keeping it in gear won't stall it. Good luck on that.

Herniator likes this.
To Top