1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cancelled My Extended Warranty VSA Today Due to Dealer Being Dishonest

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by brian2sun, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Dec 3, 2020 at 6:23 AM
    TacoTruck808

TacoTruck808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu in the Aloha State!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB, Prem & Tech Pkg, MGM
    I got this exact same warranty when I purchased my used truck from a Mercedes dealership but mine cost about $1700. At just about 4 years old, w/29000 miles the Evap core went out. The repair at the Toyota dealer cost $1600, so my net is $100 and I still have 5 years and a ton of miles left on the extended warranty plan. I made out in this instance. Even for an aftermarket warranty, i had no problems using it. Just dropped off the truck, they determined what was wrong and gave a quote to Fidelity, got it approved and my truck was fixed in a couple days. The Toyota dealer did all the work, even if i bought from another dealer.

i also forgot to mention, the finance guys originally wanted to sell me this warranty for $4k, with a $200 deductible. I told them we just bought a Lexus with a 7yr warranty and 0 deductible and it only cost $1700 (we actually paid 2300 for the Lexus warranty but I forgot at the time) so the finance guy said , we can match that and reduced the price from $4000 to $1700. And even at that, they are still making a good profit. Just not the extra $2300 they were trying to get out of us.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    CygnusX191 likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    Commocean

Commocean Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay Area of Florida
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 2.7L Ice Cap
    Never is a strong word...:D When I bought my SR, I had them throw in a bed cover and Gen 2 running boards at cost. My wife went to the sales manager and told him if you want to close the deal, throw in the keyless entry with installation and he'll sign, which he did. I hadn't intended on buying any of that stuff when I got to the dealer that day.

3. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    Matt Sierra

Matt Sierra Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MT
    Maggy SC, C4 Overland front bumper
    That's fair. Sometimes you can sweeten a deal with dealer options. I just like to research potential dealer options before arriving at the dealership so that I have a general sense of whether the "great deals" being offered are actually better than what I could get elsewhere.

4. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:57 AM
    asuchemist

asuchemist My Hamstrings Hurt!

Member:
    South South Dirty Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport V6, 23' TRD Pro 4Runner, 23' Tacoma TRD Pro
    NONE
    Things to do at dealer:

• Give Dealer your keys
    • Let them hold onto your drivers license
    • Tell them how much you can afford a month
    • Buy Paint protection
    • Buy Vin Etching
    • Always buy the extended warranty
    • Pay extra for the nitrogen tire fill
    • Last but not least...never haggle on the price listed on the sticker!

5. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    RLMoody

RLMoody Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma SR
    I have never had an extended warranty on any of my cars since I started buying new ones in 1987.
    They are a waste of money. I always felt if they have to offer an extended warranty then the car must be trouble prone.
    You can usually tell if the car is junk or not while it is still under warranty. Toyota and Mazda's s usually hold up very well.
    I unloaded several GM and Chrysler products when the warranty expired. I had a 03 S10 that blew the engine at 22000.
    An 04 Rendezvous with a head gasket going at 50000. Electrical and brake issues on a 96 Grand Prix and 01 Villager that never ended.
    I also had a new 89 Lebaron we called "Puddles" because it never stopped leaking oil.
    Subaru gave us a stinker with a 11 Forester that had anti lock brakes that would lock up and spin you out on slippery roads that they could not figure out.
    My wife was terrified to drive it and it only had 18000 miles.
    If cars are doing crap like this while still under warranty why would you want to buy an extended warranty and prolong the grief?

tractorfarmer123 and CygnusX191 like this.
  6. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    The_Devil

The_Devil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    DIY Tonneau, Toolbox, Lift, TRD Wheels, TRD Grill

Good point.

When I was in college, iv wanted an Explorer Sport trac. My dad told me that they had a 100% failure rate on transmissions, even ones replaced under warranty.

I had no idea anything could be that big of a piece of shit.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  7. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    Good for you. Satisfying to hear stories like this.

brian2sun[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    Not a golfer

Not a golfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Double Cab Barcelona Red
    Good for you.

What a lying, blood sucking steaming pile of $hit

brian2sun[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    RLMoody

RLMoody Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma SR
    Ill add more to my earlier quote. Never having an extended warranty I only kept a hand full of cars.
    I had my 86 Mazda B2200 16 years. That truck was amazing. I had a 04 Corolla for 10 years and only had 1 major repair ($700). Our current 13 Sienna with 57000 miles has been exceptional so far after 7 years. My 17 Tacoma will 27000 miles be another keeper. At 61 I would like to think I wont have to buy anymore new cars not alone an extended warranty.

Chip312, BMH and CygnusX191 like this.
  10. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    You dated yourself. :rofl:

I wanted one too. Few years after getting out of school the boss wanted his Sport Trac moved from Bakersfield to Houston, and my travel schedule just so happened to be aligned with that.

I was happy to try one out at first. By the time i reached El Paso I was glad I bought a Frontier instead of that POS.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  11. Dec 3, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    CheapLaborTJ

CheapLaborTJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    I cant believe this outdated and corrupt business model rife with fraud and deceit on a daily basis is still allowed to operate in broad daylight in 2020 with impunity. Dealerships must have very powerful and wealthy lobbyist on both sides spending a lot of money buying off Congress.

Kev250R likes this.
  12. Dec 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    I agree, IMO the whole Dealership model needs to be blown-up and rebuilt. I think some places like Carmax or Carvanna are on the right track for used cars. When I was younger I enjoyed The whole haggling game (complete with walking-out of the dealership with the salesman chasing behind to save the deal). But now, eh my time is worth more than all of that. When I bought my Taco last April I found a dealership with the best price on-line, I made an appointment and 90 mins after arriving at the Dealership I was leaving in my new truck. No drama, no upsells, no BS on my end or their’s. Had they started with any of that crap I would have left.

BMH, Chew and CygnusX191 like this.
  13. Dec 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Pend Oreille County, WA.
    2020 4x4 SR AC 2.7 liter - Bare Bones Base Model
    Went through the same 'hard sell' when I bought my truck in Sept.
    I was cutting a check for the full purchase price so I didn't have to go through the 'Well .. Since your financing, for just a little bit more, you can get this and this and ..' You know the drill.. It adds up real quick.
    BUT ... The guy still came out trying to sell me all the 'extra' warranties. I could have easy spent another $5-6K on all the extra bullshit.
    I told him right off the bat that I was NOT buying anything extra, but he told me 'Well, we have to go through the checklist, because if we don't... You might come back at us later (Sue) saying that the extended warranties weren't offered to you..'
    I told him 'Take yer list and just check 'no' on everything' But he still really tried to press me on the 'computer' warranties. That shit like that can go real wrong, real quick... He said...
    I looked at him and said 'The REASON I'm buying a Toyota is because of the reputation of being top-shelf quality. Are you telling me that I need a warranty because Toyota stuff .. You're not very positive about it? Are you saying I shouldn't trust in Toyota quality?'
    He kind of stuttered and had no real answer for that. I got the 'Well better safe than sorry' kinda BS answer..
    Then ... THEN .. after going through the list saying 'No' before he got two words out ..He muttered something about 'I was in the Marines and I know how to handle guys like you...'
    I couldn't believe he was saying this to a cash-paying customer.(Or maybe it was because I was paying cash..)
    I almost just got up and walked out the door right then and there, thinking 'Oh really? Guys like ME huh??' (I hadn't signed a check yet..)
    Anyway ... The nice lady I had been working with for a couple-three months (Email and phone calls) who busted her butt to get me exactly what I wanted .. Her eyes got big and told 'Mr. Warranty' to stand down and she'd take it from there . Cuz she could see I was ready to walk out the door.
    So, I got thru The Process without too much pain. There was some, but I knew that going in. It was like going to the dentist, knowing you need a root-canal and just hoping for the best.
    As an aside ... The last couple new rigs I bought where I bought the '100k miles, bumper-to-bumper warranty' (25 years ago, before I knew any better) .. You know how many times I needed it? Not once.

14. Dec 3, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    highteckredneck72

highteckredneck72 Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR 2wd white
    stock
    Your a STEALERSHIP salesman!! PRIME not even close!!

BigBlueTexas and brian2sun[OP] like this.
  15. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:20 PM
    bgio67

bgio67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OffRoad DCSB
    The last couple of cars I bought including this Tacoma when I went into the finance persons office and after exchanging pleasantries I had a conversation something to the effect......Hey I’m not trying to be rude or a jerk but during this process you are going to try and sell me an extended warranty, key insurance, gap insurance, paint protection, lokack, prepaid maintenance etc etc etc ..... I’m telling you now my answer to everything will be no. You are going to tell me how electronics fail, what a new radio costs and how much a key replacement is.... I’m still going to tell you no. Your going to tell me IF I was using you extended warranty at some phenomenal deal my payments would only be $26.78 a month, less than what I spend at Starbucks for peace of mind... guess what my answer still is no.

I also tell them I have not kept a car longer than 4-5 years ( whether is true or not) and I am specifically buying this brand because of the outstanding reputation..

After about 45 seconds usually the friendly banter turns into a fairly straight forward, quick and quiet buying experience.

Due to my career I am pretty use to being very direct with people.

Set your expectations right from the start and save yourself the hassle later.

Remember until they hand you the keys the deal is not done and the finance person does not want to explain why you got up and walked.

BMH, 44-16 Taco, ABA180 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    2017 limited

2017 limited Well-Known Member

Member:
    hello I feel inclined to add my 2 cents as we say. I am 60 yrs old. I have bought a new vehicle every 3 years or so since I was 24. I've been the traveling sales guy. Avg over 30k miles a year so have not owned a vehicle with more that 100 k but couple of times. So what I will still strongly suggest never ever ever go for that warranty. If you need that warranty I'd say your buying the wrong make model vehicle.

44-16 Taco and CygnusX191 like this.
  17. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    CalcityRenegade

CalcityRenegade Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R ORP KDSS
    The director of finance that I dealt with on my 2020 said I am buying a Toyota so don't need extended warranty lol.

hiPSI[QUOTED] and CygnusX191 like this.
  18. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    Buckfat

Buckfat Well-Known Member

Member:
    N GA
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB OR
    Man i thought i was the only one. I bought one a long time ago for a Ford Escape. Never used it! Like 2017 limited said if you need it your buying the wrong vehicle.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  19. Dec 3, 2020 at 2:29 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I have to say when I bought my truck (used with 6600 miles), the dealership was pretty reasonable all around. Got a good number on my old truck..could I have sold it myself and gotten a little more, yes..but I didn't want to risk seeing it ever again. I got the typical warranty sell but I evaded it fast enough mentioning I work from home a lot and won't put much mileage on it anyway.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  20. Dec 3, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    Winch

Winch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT V6
    None yet
    That finance dude had me cooling my heels for like 20 minutes while he F'd around. I was ready to walk and they knew it. Just say no, no, hell no. Plus the price changed on the vehicle but luckily I had the text with the price so they backed off. No wonder people hate buying cars. CarMax is the way too go but man they are pricey.

highteckredneck72 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top