1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

canoe on high rise cap

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by MtnRoad, May 18, 2017.

1. May 18, 2017 at 8:48 AM
    MtnRoad

MtnRoad [OP] chillin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L SR5 MT AC
    20170517_142403.jpg

front rack sits 5" high level with the rear rack at the top.

20170518_123950.jpg

bolts hold in the bar on the top rack so it can be removed when not in use. It's not designed to be pretty, just solid and practical where I come from

20170517_142514.jpg

yet to sleep in back as we've been mainly backpacking and canoeing since I got the truck but can't wait to do so.

JPinFL likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    MTBX

MTBX Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC TRD Offroad
    I was thinking about something like that - or maybe a roof rack on cab with high towers?

3. Jun 7, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    MtnRoad

MtnRoad [OP] chillin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L SR5 MT AC
    well there's some history here ... I investigated the roof rack on cab option and that involves a significant non-utilitarian output of money. So that investigation resulted in the rack on the front of the cap. There's probably only 4' between the 2 racks but they're both rock solid and it's plenty for securely lashing down the boat.

I ended up going this route after I used the rear rack and some foam pads under the front of the boat on the cab of the truck. When I loaded it in the daylight the pads were well positioned and held well. Loading the boat that night in the dark the pads ended up 10" behind the front window where there was not enough support to withstand the pressure of tying the boat down. Luckily you can't see the dents left by that move but I wasn't long fabricating a rack after I found out how much a roof rack would cost.
    Pete

Products Discussed in

To Top