1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

canopy brake light install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by manfang, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Jun 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    manfang

manfang [OP] Member

Member:
    WashingtonState
    Vehicle:
    07 Dcab
    I just picked up used canopy that fits my 2007 tacoma. I was wondering if anyone had pics of how they ran the wiring up to the canopy. I was hoping to avoid drilling the bed, and was going for a clean look when the top is off.

Also, if anyone knows a good place to splice 12V power for the dome light that would be nice too.

2. Jun 30, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    The dealer that installed mine spliced into the left rear brake light harness. Here's a pic of where it comes into the bed. They did not cut or drill anything, they just fished it thru one of the gaps. Power for the dome light is hooked up to the taillight wire, so it only works when the lights are on. It's a nice safety feature so you don't leave the cargo light on by mistake and kill the battery, but it's a little inconvenient. There's many times when I just want to turn the cargo light on when the lights are not on.

_MG_4046_filtered_f09f7ed60fd1ab1d85573fb8f3a2c6d4d3160add.jpg

3. Jun 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
  4. Jun 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I'm getting a bestop soft top here pretty soon and I will also look into wiring up something like this. Dark Knight told me it comes with a 3rd brake light since it blocks out your original one.

5. Jun 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Green/red = brake light
    green (right next to it) - works when parking lightsare on = dome light wire (you would have to go to battery for dome light on anytime make sure you use a fuse within a foot of the battery)
    white/black = ground

There is a gap between the bedcaps and the bed (rear metal upright) large enough for 3 wires to fit. You can fish them out from inside the tailght.

For quick disconnect capabilities you will always have a connector there (so it will as clean as your imagination its just wires) . If you don't have a "quick disconnect just get a 4flat trailor harness loop and use it (they come in 48'' lengths).

I hope this helped.

6. Jun 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM
    manfang

manfang [OP] Member

Member:
    WashingtonState
    Vehicle:
    07 Dcab
    Thanks everyone, this worked great. I still need pull power out to the dome light, but all the cables are fished and the 3rd brake light works great. I used a trailer flat 4 connector because it was cheap and it worked perfect.

7. Jul 1, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    manfang

manfang [OP] Member

Member:
    WashingtonState
    Vehicle:
    07 Dcab
    Has anyone tried just using the BATT lead on the 7 PIN towing harness for 12V power in the bed? From my quick read of the schematic it looks like currently it's only hot if the ignition is on, but if you pull the BATT CHG relay and short pins 5 and 3, I think you now have a 12V 30A source at the back of the pickup. This seems much easier than running wire all the way up to the battery and putting an inline fuse.

That also means that you don't need to leave your keys in the ignition if you want power at the trailer.

thoughts?

8. Jul 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    Not sure - my truck didn't have the tow package. Sounds like it would work. Pulling the wire was pretty easy, and it gives you constant power without the key in the ignition. Just make sure you don't leave the light on!

Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top