1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cant decide... ATZs or LTZs

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Blue76, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Choose a tire 265/75/16s

Poll closed Apr 20, 2010.
  1. Mickey Thompson ATZ

33.3%
  2. Mickey Thompson ATX Plus

22.2%
  3. Cooper Zeon LTZ

44.4%
  4. Other... if so specify in post what you would get

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mar 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    Blue76

Blue76 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    I am trying to decide between the Mickey Thompson ATZs and the Cooper Zeon LTZs. I like the look of both of these since they both have an agressive look but are supposed to be civilized on the road. Most of my driving is on the road... like 90%. I want the AT tire for those few events off road and I like the look. I also considered the BFG ATs and the Duratrac tire. I have owned several sets of the BFG ATs and they are a great tire but have ruined the paint job on my restored 76 Bronco... looks like it was shot with a BB gun... REALLY ticked me off. The duratracs look too much like a mud tire and I cant see how they would make a good AT tire... maybe I am wrong...

I am somewhat of a hypocrite here.... I always thought it goofy when people asked other people to help them decide... I always thought "just do what you want and like" BUT... here I am in between... No one locally has these tires so that I can touch and feel them... I have only seen internet photos... So I need some help.... tell me the pros and cons of each.... I want to hear the horror stories and the praise reports...

Thanks... BTW... this is a great forum... I participate in several and this one rocks...

Greg

2. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    MTs are pritty good but i really like the coopers,

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Personally I would go with a tire that has good side bite. Ever check out the Mickey MTZ's? Had those on my old truck and they are awesome. but if youre choosing out of the options in the poll I would go with the ATZ's

4. Mar 22, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    Blue76

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    For what I use the Tacoma for I dont think I need the Mud Terrain tires. I probably could get by with more of a street tire but I like the look of some of the more rugged AT tires. If someone made a trail or mud tire that was reasonably quiet on the road and didnt wear too fast I might consider them. I have another 4x4 for the off road stuff...

Greg

5. Mar 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Ah I see. Well my buddy has some atz's on his 2x4, they ride nice and not noisy. He does some very mild off-roading and they do well. I have also heard good things about the cooper but have never seen them or touched them.

6. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Blue76

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    In my somewhat obsessive search for the "right" tire... I noticed a LOT of people like the duratrac... for some reason it has never really appealed to me very much... Not sure why... but after looking at some of the specs on tires today I noticed they are are load rating C... vs the ATZ or the LTZ which are E... If I understand this correctly the C should ride better and get better fuel mileage... the E will be stiffer and heavier but be more durable offroad...

Does this make sense? Would it really make that much difference?

Greg

7. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    C rating are 6 ply and the E rate is 10 ply. So I imagine the 6 ply would be a better ride vs the probably harder, but tougher, 10 ply. As to difference in mileage and stuff I really dont have a clue if it is a big difference between the two types.

Products Discussed in

To Top