1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't figure this out!! I will GIVE 50$ to who ever can help me out!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AMartin, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sep 8, 2016 at 7:32 PM
    Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo a Hooka smoking caterpillar has given me the call

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Near Clayton NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    this is my '97 4Runner, AFTER the driveshaft had been "rebuilt" by the "best in town"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBadA-FznF0
    5 attempts total and I called it, rode with the vibe for about 2 years ( over 62mph and the truck felt like it was coming apart, shifter would shake pretty hard over 70 )

i ordered a new shaft Monday, installed it last night, MUCH improved, now i can feel all the tire vibes

what springs are you using ? did you drop the center bearing when you lifted the truck ?

I'm wondering if you don't have joints binding under load due to pinion rise ( spring wrap ) and the center bearing is either worn or not in proper position aggravating the issue

2. Sep 8, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    08aktacoma

08aktacoma New Member

Member:
    Another idea, a cracked motor mount. I used to drive a F150 for work, (company car) that would start to shake at certain highway speeds, but would stop if I speed up or slowed down. Tried for weeks trying to figure out what was causing it, drive line etc... Finally, 1 day the shaking was literally bouncing the truck while on the highway. Turns out a rubber motor mount was cracked, and caused a vibration felt in the whole cab at certain speeds. Then moved up to trying to drive a paint mixer when it finally let go completely. BUT at only certain speeds!

Crom likes this.
  3. Sep 8, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    I think its your chingaso is messed up ;)

10trdtaco and Pabloeeto like this.
  4. Sep 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM
    AMartin

AMartin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD sport DCLB
    3" Bilstain lift, Anytime Fog, Skid Plate, Procomp 7036, Cooper STmaxx, Heated Seats, Interior Plugs.
    That sucks!! By removing the complete rear drive shaft and going for a drive in 4HI on the highway and the vibration was the same thing it pretty much eliminates the possibility of it being the rear drive shaft.

5. Sep 16, 2016 at 2:58 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    What happens when you feel the vibration at highway speed and you gently tap your brakes while holding the gas pedal constant.
    This turns off the converter clutch .All you want to do is manipulate the brake switch .
    If the vibration goes away , you've got an engine miss fire or a serious converter chatter

6. Sep 16, 2016 at 1:35 PM
    AMartin

AMartin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD sport DCLB
    3" Bilstain lift, Anytime Fog, Skid Plate, Procomp 7036, Cooper STmaxx, Heated Seats, Interior Plugs.
    I did this test, wen I press the brakes the RPM goes slightly higher but changes nothing in the vibration, what I don't understand is that it starts at such random speeds, never the same, last week I got up to 135km/h until it started, then the next time on the highway 105km/h..

From a dead stop wen I let let off the brakes I get a little jerk wen I start going forward, Don't know if its related to my vibration problem have not really looked into it.

Such a weird issue it doesn't even make sense, I am very mechanically inclined just so you guys know Im not crazy or nothing lol

7. Sep 16, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    w:ll:s

w:ll:s Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma v6 4x4 SR5 - Imperial Jade
    You said you got the driveshaft rebuilt by the 'best' .. Maybe they did a good job, and you need to look at the yoke on your third member or trans? just a thought...

Also, I would check motor mounts and tranny mount.

8. Sep 16, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    Maggot61

Maggot61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Sky Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Prerunner 4.0L
    "If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the fury road!"
    Would bad/loose leaf springs be able to cause this kind of vibration?

9. Sep 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM
    Pabloeeto

Pabloeeto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N filter, 3.5 Aux input mod, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks, Element UCAs, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf pack.
    This is Axle Wrap

10. Sep 16, 2016 at 3:50 PM
    Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Frederick, CO
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB
    None
    @AMartin I read the first page. Try moving your cv joints with your hands, are they both tight or does one side move front to back, more than the other side? I'm betting its your needle bearing

11. Sep 16, 2016 at 3:53 PM
    Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Frederick, CO
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB
    None
    Did you take the entire rear ds out, or just the piece that connects to the rear diff when you did the front wheel drive test?

12. Sep 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Please tell me you did not have back windows rolled down while on the road.

This is a well known phenomenon in the Tundra world. The wind blowing against the back seat belts, creates an odd pulsation.

It is so bad, there is no chance of running with back windows open. A/C is the only way to run at high way speeds.

13. Oct 12, 2016 at 6:21 AM
    toddwarren2

toddwarren2 Gig 'em Ags!

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L 4-cyl Tacoma 4x4
    3" MotoFab strut spacer 3" SkyJacker Add A Leaf LiquidMetal 20" chrome wheels 275/55/20 Pirelli Scorpion tires TPMS hack (to turn off the blinking light) 1" filter for the 2ndary air pump (emissions control BS)
    Man, sounds like the same issue I'm having on my 06. I have a manual tranny tho. I've been thru virtually every step you've been through. Replace all u-joints and rear carrier bearing. The only difference I have is that at slow speeds it feels like I have an egg-shaped tire(s). I most certainly do not - trust me, i could digress but don't want to type for an hour. I need to check my motor/tranny mounts. I did replace one wheel bearing (driver's front) b/c it started to squeal. All suspension and steering parts look good (actually had my alignment shop go through the front while I was watching). Checked ball joints, etc, etc. Doubt mine is the needle bearing issue, too. At 65mph - smooth as glass. At 70mph - shimmy-shimmy-cocoa-pop. LOL At 75mph - back to being smooth. Ugh.

14. Oct 12, 2016 at 6:23 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    So who got the $50?

15. Oct 12, 2016 at 6:33 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Does it happen during shift? Does it remain as long as you are at a certain speed or is it just a quick vibration that goes away after a second? My wife's FJ had it this way and it was a bad transmission.

16. Oct 12, 2016 at 7:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I didn't read through all 5 pages. Maybe this has been answere?

Have you gone back and tightened all of the lift associated hardware? Loose nuts on U-bolts will also cause a vibration. As will other components, when they start overlapping their NHF's.

17. Oct 12, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    take off the tractor tires and aftermarket rims and put the stock tires back on. PM for where you can send me the $50

18. Oct 12, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Already said he put the stock wheels back on for testing.

Which does bring the question to mind. Is the wheel bore of the aftermarket wheels a few mils larger than the hub?

19. Oct 12, 2016 at 2:26 PM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)
    True, could need hub centric rings, but he did say it still done it with the factory stuff on it.

20. Oct 12, 2016 at 3:05 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Just trying to rule that out. Since I never saw it clarified.

The one thing that stuck out was that while the wheels were off the ground spinning, there was no vibration....

Products Discussed in

To Top