1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't seem to get grill off to change headlights, 96

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by infin, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dec 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    infin

infin [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm trying to swap my headlights out on my 96. The owners manual says to get a screwdriver and pop the front grill off. From what I can see the bracket on the bottom is all the way against the front bumper so there is no way to get the grill off. Think my front bumper might be pushed back an inch, is there a way to adjust it? Everything looks fine from under the truck, I don't see anything bent.

Anone have a side shot of a 96 so I can compare how far my bumper is back? I am on my iPhone so I can't post a picture of mine.

2. Dec 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    ok well the pieces of metal underneath your headlights comes out by just prying it out and then you'll have access to the grille clips. there are a total of 11 clips in all to get the grille off. i believe two or so are accessed from under neath the truck. so if that helps any let me know. my bumper was pushed in a little so i used a 2x4 and pryed it out using the tire a leverage. let me know if you need more help! the only camera i have is a iphone so let me know if you need specific pics. i have a 96 btw

3. Dec 12, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    any pics? And yes, you can adjust your bumper..theres 2 bolts on the sides to adjust.

4. Dec 13, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    What about the parking lights? My grille is attached to the parking lights on the corners. Did you check there?

5. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    infin

infin [OP] Member

Member:

here is a picture i took of how my bumper sits. Yes the corner lights have been removed also to get the grill off.

[​IMG]

6. Dec 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    infin

infin [OP] Member

Member:
    well got the lights changed and the bumper readjusted. Just had to losen the 4 bolts and tilt it forward again(it was back about an inch). Thanks all for the replies.

7. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    96aTacoma

96aTacoma New Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    I just acquired a 96 Tacoma with a weak headlight. Instead of pulling the grill as mentioned above, (and breaking 16 yr old plastic to bits) I used a long thin Phillips screwdriver to remove the TOP two lamp retaining screws. (push in right through the grill above the lamp) I then pulled out the light by bending down the very thin metal that secures it. Takes about 5 minutes total and no Saudi princes sold any more oil to make flimsy plastic pieces!

8. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
To Top