1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't stop in snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DryFly45, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I was around there too. Come to think of it there was only one time I turned off the ABS. Could be that I was parked on I68 for 3 hours..

2. Jan 2, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The transmission is not sending any additional power to the rear wheels when braking unless you are two-footing an automatic.

I am not sure what year, but I believed they stopped that a while ago. My 97 has it. It also works great if you are off-roading and a wheel has no traction. Slight application of brake pedal holds loose tire and allows power to go to tire with traction. but yes, it does allow the rear proportioning valve to apply more brake force to the rear wheels as the rear of the truck gets lower with additional weight.

3. Jan 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    N3ZAT

N3ZAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Coatesville,Pa.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    saws up front/TC UCA/rear AAL
    The brakes on tacomas are not very good .they suck

4. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    I've owned my truck for 4.5 years and feel the ABS is way too sensitive.. Even with new BFG AT's if a tire would slip in the slightest ALL braking force was cut and I would roll through an intersection. Yes it kept the truck in a straight line, but zero braking force. Even on dry pavement coming to a stop and one tire would encounter a patch of sand or gravel..The ABS would cut ALL brake force and the truck would end up stopped several feet farther than I wanted it to be.

Is the ABS on the Tacoma a simple all or nothing, or is it a smart system that would apply to a single slipping wheel? To me it feels like an all or nothing deal.

5. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    I was on a skating rink yesterday, and my truck wouldnt stop. Wtf is wrong with this pos?

6. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    We should put our trucks on the jamaican bob sled team

7. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    If you lost all braking force to all 4 wheels, then there is a problem. ABS systems are designed to separate all four wheels. (with the exception of some 3 wheel systems that separate the two front wheels individually, and the rear brakes as a group, but this system is older, and not as common)
    So if all 4 wheels stopped braking, then there is a problem in the truck and you should have it looked at.

8. Jan 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    The 07 and earlier trucks seemed to be an all or nothing scenario when it comes to abs. My 07 would run the abs on all wheels even if only one was slipping, however my 08 would only use abs on the wheels that are slipping and not all the wheels. I noticed this difference immediately the first time I drove the 08 in slippery conditions.

My 2010 acts the same as my 08, only the wheel that has lost traction has abs applied and not the rest which allows me to retain braking ability. IMHO, the earlier version of abs on these trucks was incredibly dangerous. It seems from this discussion that they hae gone back towards the older abs version on the newer trucks applying the abs to every wheel when only one has actually lost traction.

9. Jan 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    merkman

merkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Etna, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 green
    I do feel like that overall the brakes are wicked sensitive and really grip hard and fast. really need to be careful. I still have under 5k on the truck so maybe that has something to do with it... Very touchy brakes. Otherwise a great ruck

10. Jan 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    This is interesting. Can anyone else confirm this is correct?

11. Jan 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    No, but I can confirm in my 06 last night that the ABS almost caused me to rear end someone at a red light, thankfully they inched forward as they saw me sliding into them while the ABS whirred away.

To all those who think I was approaching the intersection too fast for conditions, I guess 10mph while about 75ft from where I needed to stop is too fast, I will slow it down next time to 5mph. Lightly touching the brakes does not work. I absolutely NEVER speed, no matter what time of year, and grandpa around town being very careful when its icy (only been in one accident in 15yrs, not my fault, learned accidents are a major PITA).

Had I drove the Tacoma in the snow/ice before I bought it, I would be driving a different truck. I live in the snow 6 months out of the year so it is kind of a big deal for me to be able to stop when I want to.

I grew up in the snow, have driven ALL types of pickups and cars, mostly domestic, and this trucks ABS system should be illegal. It would be interesting to know how many fender benders or worse it has caused on icy roads. At least when I see all the other Tacoma's driving around here in the winter, I know they feel my pain about trying to stop without sliding half way through an intersection......WTF Toyota? Not acceptable....

To those of you who think its just fine, go drive any Ford, Dodge, Chevy pickup, ANY year with ABS, and apply pressure to the brakes on an icy day the same way you do with your Tacoma. You will find how nice it is to be able to stop without the ABS engaging.

The last three trucks I owned were Fords, all with ABS, and in all the years of driving them I cant remember EVER engaging the ABS, or having a hard time stopping....same area, same roads, same conditions. Most of the trucks I drive for my job have been 2000-12 chevy or ford full size. NEVER had ABS problems or problems stopping on ice.

To those of you reading this that actually LIVE in the snow, not just hang out in it once or twice a year and go home, know what I am talking about. This shit is dangerous on the ice compared to EVERY damn car or truck I have ever driven, and its been a lot over the years.

Oh, and I shouldn't have to do a F@#$in Mod to disable ABS on a 2006 pickup IMO. If you ever were in a bad accident and the adjuster somehow saw that this had been done, probably would not turn out so well for ya.

Sorry for the rant, just winter after winter of dealing with this and last nights close call really gets me going. Other than the worst ABS in existence, this is a great pickup and at almost 100K, not a single problem:cool:

12. Jan 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:

Again I emphasize that there is more to these systems than just the brakes and how they act. Suspension changes, vehicle weight, weight distribution, tires, tire inflation, suspension components....all of these affect how well, or how poorly an ABS system will react. In the case of trying to compare a Tacoma ABS activation to a full sized Ford, GM, or Dodge, you are not making a reasonable comparison. Those trucks are heavier and their characteristics for ABS are different. If you want to try and make a good comparison, then compare ABS function between the Tacoma, the Frontier, and maybe the Colorado? Those would be level playing fields there.

My diagnostic information shows that the 2008-2013 Tacoma has 4 wheel ABS. (I didn't search back past 2008) This means that each wheel has an individual speed sensor, and each wheel is individually controlled by the ABS control valving. This means that the base ABS system is the same, however there are differences most likely in calibration and other things, however the individual wheel operation is the same.

I believe that if the vehicle has all 4 wheels lose brake force when ABS activates that there is either a VERY slick condition that no amount of brake control, human OR computer controlled would be able to compensate for, or that there is something else having an issue, such as tire condition, tread depth, etc MIGHT be an issue.

13. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Hmmm... my abs works fine, it's the vsc i'm afraid in snow.

14. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    Hahaha. :ohsnap:

15. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Fwiw, all 3 of my trucks have had the same suspension/wheel and tire/ mounted accessories(toolbox, winch etc)...

It would be interesting to see if there was any difference before 08 since that year was when I noticed a change in the abs behavior. For all I know they might have simply altered the software controlling the system...

16. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    a) tires

b) also tires

c) see items A and B

17. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    Push the little button to turn it off.:D

18. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    My tires are BFG ta ko's 265/70/17. Mine were the same set on all 3 trucks. Just changed the out on the 2010 a few months back. Got just under 60k miles out of them, great tires

Totally different behavior on the same tires with the same setup on 3 different trucks? Nah, not the tires, they definitely play a big role but there's definitely something else goin on with the abs on the older and the newer trucks but not on the middle production years...

19. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    WVHellbilly

WVHellbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mullens,WV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Baja
    I have had a 2005 sport and now my 2012 baja and have never had problems with my brakes in the snow.

20. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    WVHellbilly

WVHellbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mullens,WV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Baja
    I drove to work this morning on an inch of ice with no problems from the brakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top