1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cap for Tacoma short box?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tanner, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Aug 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    tanner

tanner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitchener, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab
    Hi,

I recently purchased my first Tacoma, which is also my first truck. I want to get a cap for it but really don't know what I'm getting myself into so I'm looking for recommendations. The truck is a Double Cab with the short box.

I would like enough room to put my (pedal) bike in the box standing up so I can take it camping, but I don't want one of those tall caps because I think they look shitty. It doesn't have to be insulated. I want windows on the side. A roof rack would be nice, but is not necessary. If such a thing exists, I would like to be able to make a tent out of it.

If I'm not being very clear, or you need more details to make a confident recommendation, let me know. Thanks for any relevant advice.

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    ARE and Leer seem to be the two most popular shell makers in the US. They are probably the same on quality and design (for comparable models) so you will have to shop around to see what you like and can get a better deal on.

I have an ARE Z series shell on my truck and like it. This is one of the more expensive shells, but IMO it is worth it as it looks SO much better (IMO) than the cheaper models. No exposed hinges and no frame on the back glass= very sexy.

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    Silver06Taco

Silver06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA state
    Vehicle:
    Silver 06 DC TRD Sport
    I doubt that you will find a cap that a bike will fit into standing up that isn't taller than the cab.

I have a cab high Leer cap with a hitch bike carrier. Since you would like a roof rack with it, you could go with bike attachments and put it up there. Personally I wouldn't want to drive with a bike standing up that high though.

There are lots of options out there. Use the search on here for canopies and you'll have plenty of pictures to look through.

Best of luck and enjoy your new truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top