1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Capital Hill - Recall Testimony

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by upnthebid, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I would assume that the chances of it happening are very slim, which is why it's not happening to most people. I am aware that lawyers can twist you around into saying what ever they want you to, but his goal was to prove a failure that toyota said couldnt and wasn't happening. At least know toyota can take this work and fix their throttle problem. Remember he said he started it because he owned a tundra, matter of fact I think that makes what he did a MOD :cheers:

2. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    http://www.jconline.com/article/201...yer-questions-Toyota-accusers-during-hearings

"Proud of the public college system" indeed, lol!

3. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

quite possible...i was in a hurry once...lost track of time off roading. reversed to turn around...was probably doing about 5 -8 mph backwards when i shifted into drive becasue of my rush...sure enough, it shifted into drive and stalled my automatic:anonymous: didn't know that was possible lol

didn't grind the gears or do anything bad to the truck, just killed the engine. restarted right back up and has run fine since.

and i'm calling bs on the woman...first, shifting into neutral shoud have workded since it is cable driven...right? second, she said that she had enough time to use the bluetooth to call her husband (shit, i can't even figure those things out) and third, when the car did stop, her husband right at the floormat and nothing was wrong. isn't it convenient that in 2005 or 2006 (whenever she said it happened) a year before the floormat recal, her husband thought to look right at the part that was soon to be recalled.

oh, not to mention in the 6, yes , she said she was going 100mph for 6 minutes, did she not think to turn the damn car off!

i woulda crashed after 1 minute of 100mph in traffic

4. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road

I was listening as the Dr. tried to explain it and from what I recall he said the Toyota system had two sensors and the current difference required between the two was only 2/100 of a volt so if the wrong sensor got the signal it accepted it as true so wouldn't throw a code.
    He went on to explain that other manufactures that he looked at used a larger voltage difference so it was harder to trick a sensor when it received the wrong signal.

5. Feb 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    So there are people who actually believe anything that the "doctor" says? Considering he's a paid employee of tort lawyers who are suing Toyota, anything he says is suspect.

6. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Correct anything testified is suspect until it is either proven true or false, Toyota has all his data and I bet some engineers aren't getting any sleep tonight.

If the Dr. lied he needs to charge more money because the guy that hired him (can't remember the dudes nme sitting next to him, Mcain or something) has paid him $1800 and will pay $150 per hour going forward.

If someone wanted me to lie in front of Congress, I'd at least hold out for what Congress gets for lying :rolleyes:

7. Feb 24, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Congress Puts Toyota On Show Trial

Posted 02/23/2010 06:54 PM ET

Commerce: Toyota's leaders are in for nasty star-chamber hearings in Congress, with politicians grandstanding and regulators pointing fingers. It's no way to treat a big employer that contributes so much to our economy.
    When Toyota first came to the U.S. in the 1950s and took out TV ads in the 1960s, the Japan-based company was ridiculed. How could its dinky little cars compete with the mighty Big Three automakers for the American market?
    But by the 1970s, word got out that Toyota was making a superior energy-efficient product and it won the public over.
    That success seems to be why Toyota is being singled out for loud hearings by two congressional panels for its recent recall of nearly 650,000 cars. "While Honda recalled 636,000 models last month and Ford recalled more than 4 million vehicles last year, neither company was subjected to a Congressional Hearing," noted Americans for Tax Reform in a statement.
    Small wonder then that a Toyota internal memo declared the current climate in Washington is "not industry friendly." That's a fact.
    The problem is that while beating up Toyota may serve the political aims of some, its real effect will be to kill jobs, corrupt any semblance of impartial regulatory action, discourage foreign investment, and defund cities and towns whose tax bases depend much on Toyota dealers. In short, the show trial will make us all poorer.
    For starters, Toyota employs over 200,000 Americans across the spectrum of the auto industry. Parts plants, assembly plants, dealerships and repair shops all owe their existence to Toyota.
    Already plants are shutting down and employees are being laid off, beyond all proportion to the recall problem, because of the congressional effort to drag Toyota through the mud.
    City governments take in significant revenues from these operations. Don't think they won't feel the impact of these hearings.
    Yet there's more than a whiff of Saul Alinsky's community organizing principles in this noisy government campaign against Toyota — "Pick a target, personalize it, freeze it, polarize it."
    So now Congressional committees are hauling in Toyota's president Akio Toyoda all the way from Tokyo to testify. It's a sorry spectacle because Toyota has tried to be a good corporate citizen.
    Recall that the first complaint against Toyota in the 1970s was that it imported cars to the U.S. instead of built them here.
    So, Toyota built plants here, employing some 30,000 U.S. citizens directly. In the process, it also subcontracted to American companies — such as the one that makes the pedals in question now — all to make the "Buy American" crowd happy.

Congress and our government suck. A bunch of self-serving bastards. Fuck 'em all and vote all of those shit-heads out this november.

8. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    She also said that she was at a stand still when the incident began and that she put both feet on the foot brake and pulled the e-brake. I call BS, if you engage the e-brake, the rear tires will lock and the vehicle would not make it to 100 MPH. And, the rear tires would have eventually gone flat from being skidded for 6 minutes...

9. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Provided the e brake is working properly and properly adjusted.

10. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I found it interesting that the Chevy Cobalt has had the same issue as the Camry in double the numbers over twice the period of time and no recall.

While i agree Toyota needs to address this, i think a like issue with another automaker should get them a 'hot' seat as well.

Consistancy for the sake of credibility.

11. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    You know, it's funny. The last time car companies were in Washington, they came looking for handouts, arrived in private jets, and blamed their problems on the market. They went home with bailout money, while Toyota gets threatened with prosecution.

I don't like the lesson this teaches other corporations. And I'll damn sure never give Detroit another penny as long as I live.

12. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    True, but to my knowledge, there was no testimony that the e-brake was also malfunctioning nor have I heard of recalls in that regard. The testimony focused on not being able to overcome the accelleration...

13. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    What lesson are you implying? Cover up your mistakes and you'll be investigated and prosecuted? What's morally wrong with that lesson?

Many need to look at this objectively for once instead of as an offended owner of a Toyota product. Leave the big three out of it and look at Toyota's actions alone.

It is TRUE and FACTUAL that Toyota was aware of the problem and dismissed it - even attempting to blame it on something else (floor mats). A vehicle manufacturer has 5 days from the time they are made aware of a safety related defect in their product until they are required by LAW to communicate that problem with the NHTSA. Failure to do so is heavily punishable by law. Toyota didn't report this, and a subpoena of documents has proven they were aware of the problem. They are now holding this inquiry to identify what Toyota knew, when they knew it, and what they are going to do about it - all because they are mandated to do so by law, and for the safety of the public (even though few of you believe this).

Only one inquiry can be held at a time, and other manufacturers will have their time on the hot seat as automobile safety will be the latest topic of urgency over the next couple of years. Someone had to have the initial inquiry, unfortunately it was the manufacturer who makes our Tacoma's. First of many to come in the near future.

After all the hoopla and attention this subject has gotten, there is no way that if a domestic company has similar issues the public will let it slide.

14. Feb 24, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not arguing any fact here. I simply stated that in order for the e brake to lock the rear wheels while in motion it must be functioning properly and not out of adjustment - which is common sense. E brake cables get stretched with repeated use and such systems lose holding power as a result over time.

I didn't state this as an argument for or against the inquiry (as I don't care), but rather to make a point that if a member has an unintended acceleration issue after reading that post they will believe that the e brake will save them - which isn't entirely accurate 100% of the time. The best solution and first reaction should be to shift to neutral and coast to the side of the road. If shifting to neutral doesn't solve the problem then engage the e brake - which by the way should lock the rear wheels and will likely induce an uncontrolled spin in traffic.

15. Feb 24, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    upnthebid

upnthebid [OP] Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Off Road
    Stock
    One thing is for sure, this issue is polarizing.

Regardless of your position it is great to read everyone’s thoughts. Keep them coming!!!

BRAVOSVO, Thanks for pointing that "Capital" is spelled "Capitol". I have called Washington “Capital Hill” for so long that I cannot spell it correctly anymore.

16. Feb 24, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    Blueridge

Blueridge Well-Known Member

Member:

17. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Factual ??/
    That would mean that somebody had presented a car that does acceleration and it is unmodified car.
    I would like to see one... on youtube that does that.
    With so many cars there is not a single video or FACTUAL proof. What that does tell you? However there is plenty of videos proving that floor mats can cause pedal to get stuck. Surely with so many people complaining and what 4 million cars recalled there should be one car that does this on camera.
    I say prove to me that Unintended acceleration happens with out the floor mat.
    Now rewired car is not a proof. Not by a mile.
    :cool:

18. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    You misread. By FACTUAL I was referring to the fact that documents were released last week that proved Toyota were aware of the unintended acceleration problem, dismissed it, then patted themselves on the back for saving in excess of 100 million. Does this do anything to promote positive business ethics?

As for unintended acceleration without the floor mats:

How about the Camry that was fished out of the lake after accelerating - the floor mats were in the trunk.

And this Tacoma owner:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/29/business/la-fi-toyota-throttle29-2009nov29

I don't think you'll find it on Youtube, but in all reality, how many of the countries current and most prominent concerns will you actually find on Youtube? As for a lack of video and what this tells me, it tells me that individuals are more concerned with stopping than reaching in their glovebox for a camera to document the ride. Get real bro - who is gonna take a video at such a time?:crazy: If you have a family member who drives such a vehicle that is affected by the recall would you tell them the proper way to save their life, or to grab the camera and document the joyride? Stop being so naive and narrow minded.

I'm not for or against either side of the argument as I really don't care. Worst things are happening in our world/country than Toyota dealing with this. Toyota is nothing to me other than a vehicle manufacturer. Some individuals are taking this matter way too personal and are becoming genuinely offended by the smallest OBJECTIVE and FACTUAL comment.

19. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
  20. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    What I find amusing throughout this is Congress reigns supreme in the failure department. A complete bunch of morons that live in their own little world in which few of them even drive a car at all. They can't fix a sack of shit let alone comprehend the workings of a car. For all of the oversight they boast about it neither prevented nor amounted to any action reagarding this issue. So Toyota will go to the Hill to get grilled and demonized by a group of people that lie, steal and cheat on a daily basis.

Products Discussed in

To Top