1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Capsized

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 8ballshifter98, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Feb 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    8ballshifter98

8ballshifter98 [OP] Giggity giggity, giggity goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Sanford, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 4cyl SR5, 5 speed
    Memphis front door speakers, Pioneer rear door speakers, 600 watt Dual stereo amp, 4 Q Power 1" tweeters, Pacer chrome bullet-hole rims, chrome bull bar
    Had a wee bit of a misunderstanding yesterday that led to my truck being almost completely underwater. A friend led me to a trail that I had never taken on and he promised me it wasn't anything too deep. I wasnt worried about getting stuck, that doesnt really cross my mind. But I got about a mile and a half into the trail, which had a lot of mud holes, that were pretty dang deep, and I had made it through those all of them pretty easily. That's where I came across a pretty big one. Prolly a hole about 70 yards long, a car width and a half wide, and depth to be determned :rolleyes: Nothing much compared to what I've seen on this site, but definitely the hardest thing I had tried. But I hit it hard, came in running pretty high in 3rd gear, 4 lo. I Started on the high right side of the puddle where it looked like the ruts were shallower. Well about half way through I started to bog down and had to kick it in reverse, broke my ruts and pushed farther forward once I shifted back. And that's where things went wrong. What my friend failed to mention is that 4wheelers come up there and just sit in this hole in the summer while gassin it and diggin up the soft shit at the bottom. Well at this point I was right about up to the wheel wells, because I don't have a lift, and then broke through the rut on the right side while pushing forward, and slid down in the right rut. It was about 4 feet deep. I kept on keeping on and was actually moving forward still when my engine cut off. My friend in the passenger side started freakin out because water was coming in the cab and after my truck stopped moving my passenger side was at about a 65 degree tilt with water coming a little ways up the hood. My rear left was actually barely in the water because of how the truck had slid sideways and I wasn't terrified that the truck was going to tip, but the angle shook me. I get out after I realize that there's close to 4 inches of water at the base of my passener side door inside the truck. And above all my baby won't start. My friend had left to go get some 4wheelers before I made it to this hole because he decided that his pos chevy wouldn't even make it down that far after he saw the first strip. Needless to say once he caught up with me I was on the verge of beatin some ass. I Got my cousin down there though after a while of waiting, and he was able to get me out with his beast of a f150 (not your average ford). I'll be spending all day today taking the intake apart, removing the oil pan and spark plugs, and checking the starter and starter cylinoid because I couldn't get my engine to turn over. My cousin actually had to tow me home with a tow rope hooked up to my chasis, a 30 minute drive.

Morals of the story:
    1. Don't trust dumbasses

2. Don't go first on a trail that you've never run before and "could be too deep, but you just aren't sure"

Granted there was a lot of driver error when I did this yesterday, but it could have been prevented

Ill post pictures later, as painful as it will be

2. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Sucks man, sounds like you hydrolocked...

3. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Sorry to hear that man.

4. Feb 15, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    you are hydrolocked! dont just go spinning things with the starter. pull the plugs. turn motor by hand.

wow, deja vu..didnt we just finish talking about this with someone? sorry, not to be harsh..100% your fault..dont blame the friend. good luck..please keep us posted.

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    8ballshifter98

8ballshifter98 [OP] Giggity giggity, giggity goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Sanford, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 4cyl SR5, 5 speed
    Memphis front door speakers, Pioneer rear door speakers, 600 watt Dual stereo amp, 4 Q Power 1" tweeters, Pacer chrome bullet-hole rims, chrome bull bar
    haha yeah, it was definitely my fault. I was just pretty pissed because I didn't know the place. I've got the new starter in and if it doesnt turn over Im gonna have to do just that and turn the motor by hand

6. Feb 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    i hope you never did any damage internally. a friend of mine hydrolocked his acura interga and bent the connecting rods in his motor. not fun stuff.

7. Feb 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    you see, the starter has lots of torque. if you try it (turn motor) with the starter, and you are hydrolocked...GAME OVER. fluid is not compressable, air is. remember that kid toy where you put water in a rocket, pump it up and it launches? same principle. anyways, the fluid (water) being incompressible will bend your connecting rods, when the starter spins the motor.

plugs out grasshopper.

8. Feb 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
  9. Feb 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Afi is right- If you don't pull those plugs out you run the risk if blowing/bending stuff in your engine. You can use the starter with the plugs out (at least I've seen it done in the past) so the water can escape but you need to be careful jsut doing stuff.

And lesson learned....Following folks just because you don't wanna man up and say "I think this is a bad idea" or because they say it'll "be okay" is a horrible idea. Good Luck getting your truck runnin again!!

10. Feb 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    Taco Guapo

Taco Guapo Lurker

Member:
    Carefree AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4X4 2.7L
    Bone stock
    Redneck's last words: "Watch this".
    Next to last words: "Hold my beer".

Not saying this necessarily applies to the current post.

11. Feb 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    think of it this way: brunes is the friend telling you not to go into the mud puddle. the potentially hydrolocked motor is the (new) mudpuddle. are you going to listen this time? :)

i'm rooting for you! hope this turns out excellent.

12. Feb 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    wheres the pics? lets see some carnage.

oh and good luck with your truck, hope nothings broke too bad.

13. Feb 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Isn't it "Hey yall watch this!" :cool:

Products Discussed in