1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car Accidents (Sliding on Ice)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 05PreRunner, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:28 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Damn....
    Sometimes there's not a damn thing you can do.

I remember a time driving in my newly purchased jeep. No snow on the ground, it was pitch dark out, freezing temps. I'm driving along on totally dry roads and I hit one small patch of black ice. The jeep did a complete 180 in the middle of the road and it happened THAT quick. Thank Gawd, I stopped on the road and pointing in the opposite direction. There was a car a bit behind me that stopped to let me re-orientate myself. Scary stuff.... All I could do is HOLD ON (no steering input, no gas, and no brake). My husband grabs my arm and says, "It'll be OK". I was like... calmly...Wow, holy shit, where'd that come from?.

2. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:29 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I noticed that also..... frigin retard!!

3. Dec 4, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    Artiz

Artiz This space is in BLANK mode.

Member:
    Wow I just noticed the people in the first video, this first guy/gal is friggin' retarded! He/she's even gasing it in reverse, how retarded is that?

4. Dec 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Clatrans243

Clatrans243 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 TRD Off Road
    I was driving through Colorado Springs on I-25 one day after what for that area was a relatively light snow. The highway was a little slushy, but everyone was doing around 40. Suddenly the temperature must have dropped, and the slush turned almost instantly to ice. Everybody's brake lights came on, and the next thing I knew there was about a 10-car smash-up developing a few hundred yards ahead of me with cars going every which way.

The instant I tapped my brakes I knew that wasn't going to do me any good, but about that time I saw what looked like a hole developing in the jumble of cars. Having backed off the gas as soon as things started going bad, I was down to about 25 or 30, and because my wheels were still turning, I was able to steer. Following the old race driver advice of aiming for the moving car you don't want to hit on the theory that he won't be there anymore when you get there, I got through unscathed.

To this day I have little doubt that had I locked up the brakes like everybody else did, and like the people in the video did, I would have piled into that mess at nearly 40 mph. That was before ABS came along, but I'm not sure how well even that works under really slick conditions. One can't always be as lucky as I was to be able to steer around trouble, but it is guaranteed that once all four wheels lock up, there is absolutely nothing the driver can do but hold on and wait for the crunching of metal.

5. Dec 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Once again, I cant wait for my first trip to the snow/ice at the end of January. Going to Big Bear during peak snow season. :eek: This is gonna be some scary shit

6. Dec 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    Wow those people in the 2nd are idiots in the second video by jumping out of the car.

7. Dec 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    DANG... You got out of that one... What is the racer car driver advice about aiming for the moving car?

Products Discussed in

To Top