1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

car audio fever is back

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Petererc, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2017 at 7:26 PM
    Petererc

Petererc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    hey there,

I have been searching the forums for a couple weeks and figured it's time to jump in. Traded in the '02 xtra cab a month ago for a 2010 Tacoma DC. I messed around with the '02 and had fun building speaker pods, failed kick panels, blown amps, speakers and subs. When I started having issues with the " top of the line" head unit at the time is when the SQ bug went into hibernation. I just settled for what was left and the truck sounded pretty good to me.
    The stinking bug is out of hibernation and the fever is strong. Figure I will give it another go at a SQ system in the new truck. It will take some time to accumulate the funds to complete the project but I have a few goals already in motion.
    Just ordered;
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS ( wanted full 3 way active that was FLAC capable, but couldn't find anything without breaking the bank or adding a DSP again breaking the bank)
    Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5"
    Peerless XT25SC90-04 ( figure for 102 bux shipped it's worth a shot)
    20 CLD tiles, fuse block, rca's, dash kits, speaker wire
    have a few things laying around
    JBL BP600.1, 300.1 sub(s)
    ADS powerplate80 (mids?)
    Soundstream D60II (tweets)
    Autotek mean machine 44 (mids? Sub?)
    4 gauge wire.
    pvc flat stock (baffles)

Figure I have enough to get started to install H.U. and front stage seal and deaden front doors. . Rest of sound deadening and dampening will most likely be last thing to do when funds allow. Can't decide on one 12" sub or two 10's, with end result being SQ instead of SPL. Would like to have an amp rack behind the seat as well. I favor a 12" (sealed or ported?) but many forums recommend the 10's. Sub will come at a later date when funds are available. Seems people in Taco World are partial to the Sundowns.

open to any suggestions or criticism

thanks for reading

2. Jan 4, 2017 at 10:04 PM
    SlowComa666

SlowComa666 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    typo? those are $21.50 @ parts-express

looks good, someone else here tried and liked the Silver Flute mids. good luck!

3. Jan 5, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    Petererc

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    thanks for the luck, gonna need it, ordered the Scochse trim kit, what a P.O.S.!!

that was a typo, price was for all the speakers, ya missed the other typo (brain fart) "deaden from doors" instead of dampening. Grammar, punctuation, spelling of the English language isn't so great, but it's the only language I know..haha

4. Jan 6, 2017 at 4:11 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I'm using the 5.5" Flutes - can't go wrong with 'em. XT25 gets good reviews too - probably another solid bet.

5. Jan 6, 2017 at 4:17 AM
    EasyLivin

EasyLivin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Euless, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Focal PS165AC / Focal PS165V / Alpine PDR V75 / Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1000F / Leer 100XR shell / Bilstein 5100 lift
    Just my .02, but take the time to do the sound deadening at the same time if possible. You can pull everything out and just knock it out. I know from my experience that you need it to get the full sound stage. Get a nice tuneable amp and line controller and you can make that truck sound good! Enjoy your system....I know I enjoy mine!

6. Jan 6, 2017 at 5:38 AM
    Petererc

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    cool, looking forward to hearing them

Thanks, that would be ideal, rip the truck apart and do it up. Unfortunately funds don't allow for it, with keeping domestic tranquility in mind. I have another hobby that brings in some cash once in a while, and that's how I plan to fund a majority of it. That stinking word patience gets me every time.

7. Jan 6, 2017 at 6:49 AM
    Petererc

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    Wanted to install the Pioneer DEH-80PRS in a 2010 double cab. Crutchfield says the head unit does not fit. After some google searches to find out why, I found a thread where someone notched the pocket of the dash kit to allow clearance for the volume knob, thank you. So, I took a hole saw and cut a half circle out where the nob will hit the kit. Filled the gap with JB Weld, mixed up some black and grey paint to get a close match and painted the cut.

[​IMG]IMG_0364 by daddeee, on Flickr

Products Discussed in

To Top