1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

car crash

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mlcc, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Feb 14, 2016 at 3:10 PM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    If you plan on modding your truck accidents are actually blessings. Just get a check and go nuts. After market upgrades are usually less expensive than replacing OEM parts at factory spec. Assuming you have good insurance that is.

And being deemed totaled is dependent on your truck's value. If the cost of repair is estimated at over some percentage of the total value it will be totaled. Not sure off the top of my head but I'd guess around 50% so as long as the repairs are under $6-7k you should be fine.

2. Feb 14, 2016 at 3:36 PM
    Pescado

Pescado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2002 Lunar Mist TRD DC
    265/75/16 BFG KO2, Pro Comp 7069, General Springs HD leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Snugtop Canopy
    I witnessed this exact scenario 3 times in 2 weeks a couple of years ago and from then on I never leave a gap for people to turn (like the lady did in this scenario). In the first instance a C series Mercedes going about 60 t-boned a smart car with no braking at all.

People give me dirty looks thinking I'm being a dick but you're actually putting people's lives at risk even though it seems like the courteous thing to do.

Yetimetchkangmi and MTopp like this.
  3. Feb 14, 2016 at 6:33 PM
    mlcc

mlcc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 DC TRD/ 1990 4runner
    Lights, 3in lift, tires/ wheels, being awesome
    One thing that's been bothering me is the airbags didn't deploy in my truck but the other car did and my last truck that I had its air bags didn't deploy either and both accidents I think would be worthy of airbag deployment

4. Feb 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    powerofchez

powerofchez Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco 4x4
    They probably didn't deploy due to the angle of the accident. The shock sensors would be attached to the bumper or reinforcement, and is designed to trigger only on a direct, or near direct forward to rearward impact. No need for the driver and passenger airbag to deploy during a side impact.

5. Feb 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Insurance adjusters call this "the wave of death". People get killed every day because of it. My wife gets irritated with me all the time when some jack ass stops and starts waving and I refuse to go. And then someone in the next lane, which Mr. idiot holding up traffic has 0 control over, goes zipping by. Instead of just driving as normally and we would both be where we intended to go by now.

Likewise at a 4 way stop I'll just sit and stare at someone who should go that is waving to me like a they're in a parade. I've handled WAY too many wrecks for that exact situation, the laws are there for a reason and no-one but you knows what you're doing.

6. Feb 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    By waving the woman assumed responsibility that's why she got the ticket imo

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. Feb 15, 2016 at 1:05 PM
    Indy

Member:
    The wave doesn't matter, she got a ticket for pulling in front of someone. OP didn't label what traffic control was at the intersection, assuming #3 was at a stop sign. Different locales use different verbage in the laws, but locally you 'run' a stop sign if you pull out when you don't have right of way. If it was an uncontrolled intersection (doubtful since it was so many lanes) she's hit for failure to yield etc.

And $10 says the driver of #2 will still wave vehicles until he dies no matter how many wrecks he/she helps facilitate.

8. Feb 15, 2016 at 8:47 PM
    mlcc

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    There was no stop sign or traffic light at that spot just backed up traffic and the guy who waved the car to go thought she was turning right not left if she turned right she would have been fine but she turned left and had to cross two lanes of traffic which wernt clear and my impact was almost dead center and hers was LF corner I have no fender damage as she no longer has a fender or a front end for that matter

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  9. Feb 16, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    ClevSix

ClevSix Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    IL/IA
    Vehicle:
    01 DCSB SR5 TRD, 13 T4r SR5
    Suspension, 33s, some armor... Rust, Gray wire and 2Low, and more. T4r is stock.
    Air bags can be expensive. If you are worries about the insurance "totaling out" your truck be glad the bags didn't deploy... Good luck, I hope you can get it fixed!

10. Feb 16, 2016 at 11:55 AM
    Indy

Member:

Yelp, wave of death.

I've been rear ended a number of times. My last wreck, stopped in a line of traffic in my F150 and the girl behind me decided to park her hyundai under my rear bumper at 40mph. She lost her front end, top of her engine, hood, windshield and got a ride in an ambulance.

My receiver hitch got a little dinged up :laugh: The front of her car lifted up the back of my truck and it went right under. I'm sure she was totaled, her insurance paid for a local body shop to replace my receiver and offered me a cash settlement. No idea how much they were going to pay, never called them back about it.

11. Feb 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    mlcc

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Strike one, the adjuster didn't show up like promised I guess I'm going to have to make some calls

12. Feb 16, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    NateGB

NateGB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    Icons, uniball upper arms, ome leafs, bilstein 5100
    I'll give you a couple of tips (I'm an adjuster for an insurance company btw.) Have the insurance adjuster come to your house to write the estimate. Don't take your car to a shop until you have a good understanding of how the shop does business and if they will work with you to repair it the way you want it. If you can take the bumper and grille off yourself to have the adjuster write the estimate, you'll be ahead of the game because you'll have a better idea of the full estimate versus just a partial estimate of the damage they can see from the outside. In addition, it sounds like you are filing the claim through the other driver's insurance and not your own. Since that is the case have the check written to you, and only you. Not you and the shop. That way you dictate where the money goes, when the shop gets paid, and what work you want the shop to do.

Also, push for new OEM parts as hard as you can. Pretty much every insurance company is going to try to put aftermarket and/or recycled. Personally, I wouldn't have too big an issue with recycled parts, but no way would I accept aftermarket. They don't fit and the quality is way lower, no matter what the insurance company says.

Good luck with the repair.

13. Feb 16, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    mlcc

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I'm not to worried about the shop because I work there just not the body shop part( it's a dealer) I'm just worried about the insurance company trying to go cheap. Not to worried about parts or quality of the work since I can just walk over there and light fire under their asses. The body guys tore the front down and they suspect frame damage which worries me

20160216_123925.jpg
    20160216_123914.jpg
    20160216_124124.jpg

14. Feb 16, 2016 at 9:18 PM
    mlcc

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    You can see in the bottom pic of my last post of where the passenger side apron is folded over which is no big deal but they're worried about parts of the frame they can't see without tearing more apart which sucks I just my truck back man some of the body guys have made me offers already haha

15. Feb 17, 2016 at 2:33 AM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    If they do want to total it, buy that bitch back and try to find a frame shop that can put it on a frame straightening machine! They'll be able to fix that no problem with minimal cost. Id do it if they dont total it too, if it were mine.(maybe insurance would do that too, idk, i doubt it, but ya never know) Just a couple days ago there was a fella in here talking about getting his straightened and it was like 500 bucks if i remember right.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  16. Feb 17, 2016 at 3:12 AM
    archerm3

archerm3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    97LX (sold) 15DCSB BRM MT OR(RIP) 09 Tahoe
    Brake controller, Snugtop, Hellwig981, Gentex, custom frame bending and body removal by red light runner.
    At least you didn't give up your right of way. There is "that". Make that volkswagen driver learn their lesson. Defensive driving along a line of stopped cars is for suckers.

17. Feb 17, 2016 at 3:36 AM
    CAM37

CAM37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport
    One of the most common accident scenarios I see in my job. Rear-enders are first, of course. Lane change accidents are high on the list. But this one is too. Trusting someone who waves you out is beyond stupid. If you can't see past that car into the far lane(s) then just don't go. The waver is trying to be nice but typically, I just wave them to proceed and stay put until I can safely pull out onto the favored roadway.

That truck doesn't look totaled but I won't say it's not... I've been fooled many times by the photos.

18. Feb 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM
    mlcc

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    That's good to know i wonder if I source my own parts that the insurance would be willing to fix the rest but we still have to see what lies deeper all I can do now is speculate

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  19. Feb 17, 2016 at 7:05 AM
    mlcc

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Has anyone done that before we're they sourced parts on there own so the isurance would do the rest

20. Feb 17, 2016 at 7:12 AM
    CAM37

CAM37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport
    The insurance company is going to write their own estimate based on the parts they source, or if you use a preferred shop in their program, that shop will write the estimate and source the parts.

If you want to source your own parts, then tell them you want them to write your estimate and you'll find your own shop. Then take their money, see if you can find parts cheaper and then give those parts to the shop you use. Good luck, the insurance companies have a computer system that is designed to find the parts at the best price so trying to beat it will be a chore unless you use substandard recycled parts.

As far as aftermarket parts... it's silly to refuse them. Many of the parts on a brand new vehicle were not manufactured by the auto manufacturer, they source them out. And recycled and reconditioned parts they use on repairs are required to be as new/newer and in as good/better condition than the part it's replacing.

Products Discussed in

To Top