1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car electronics installed! (Sirius, 2-way, iPhone head unit, etc)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by anethema, May 21, 2012.

1. May 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    anethema

anethema [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Finally decided to reorganize and buckle down, finish off my car electronics.

Swapped out factory head unit for the Oxygen O-Car setup. Basically snap your iphone into it and get your phone charging, plus all your phone sounds incl music and youtube right on the dash! Plus you install the mic and make hands free calls that I've gotten decent quality reports on.

I also got the cell booster in, and installed the interior antenna in the cubby where the phone sits, and basically there is nowhere I go without coverage now.

Got the radio finalized in its location in the cubby behind the shifter. Looks great and easy to use there.

Sat radio I wasn't sure, but decided it was going to go on the A-pillar by my door. Just put screws through the factory suction cup rather than get a RAM mount etc. The wires are still a little ugly but I have a gps and several other things still to go so I will clean it up later.

I'll update the thread when I finish with the GPS install etc.

PICS:

I'm going to rerun the cell booster wire when I do my GPS so it doesnt poke out like that, but rather goes right through the back of that cubby it is in and you see no wires. That will make the dash kit sit flush as well:
    [​IMG]

You can pop the thing out, and it sits on a ball to be easily positioned:
    [​IMG]

Here is a closeup of the radio in its final location. I tried to get the custom color to closely match the stock toyota orange as possible:

[​IMG]

I made my Sat radio, 2-way radio, and GPS all turn on with one switch on the inside. The switch is lit to remind me to shut it off.

[​IMG]

Here is the sat radio with the messy wires. This will be cleaned up somehow.

[​IMG]

The body for the 2-way radio is under the seat, along with cell booster etc.

Just figured I'd make a post and show how I did some stuff. More to come!

2. May 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Very interesting. Looks good.

3. May 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Wow, I'll look into the Oxygen O-Car setup. I just got an iPhone and that would be a nice set-up to have in the truck.

4. May 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    anethema

anethema [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Ya after using it a couple days now it is great. They come with some crappy case things you're supposed to put your phone in. The ONLY reason I could see for this is it squishes the phone in the holder which pushes your power button so your phone keeps showing that slide to shut off screen.

So I just used the ball attatchment on the dremel and hollowed out a spot for the power button. Works great now, no cases, nothing. Holds it in great. Great sound, too, and good reports from the handsfree.

So far so good! Cell booster is kicking ass in this location too.

Products Discussed in

To Top