1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car Max Opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by coffeesnob, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Dec 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Does anyone have any experience dealing with Car Max. I am considering taking a car my mother n law had to see what they wil give me for it. What I want to know is are they fair with their pricing and apprasals. Thanks

2. Dec 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    Incognito

Incognito μολὼν λαβέ

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    See Build thread
    We got a good deal on an '08 Civic EX, and we'd buy from them again. Not sure about how they are about the price they give for trade ins.

3. Dec 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    KDogg311

KDogg311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K H I E M ™
    So Cali 626 ³²³ 818
    Vehicle:
    Gen² Impulse Red Access Cab
    Avid Offroad light bar (Black), Avid Step bar (Black), TRD skid plate (Black), BHLM w/yellow signals, Pioneer Avic-x930bt, OEM fogs w/ yellow H10, Magnaflow muffler, aFe drop in filter, Toyota Neoprene "Tacoma" seat covers, Shorty antenna, Tint, Removed secondary filter, LED interior lights, LED reverse, Bedlinered rear bumper, color match grill, Black emblems, Red rear signals, Bed mat, OEM bike mounts

Same here ... Had a Lexus IS250 and they offered $1000 more then dealer. Plus it was a quick (about an hour) and easy process

4. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    x3

except they offered me close to 2500+ more than what the dealer would for my old ranger. dealer said 4500, think carmax gave me just over 7k for it.would definitely do it again.

5. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Never dealt directly with them, but I have heard good things.

6. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    07trd4x4

07trd4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Can say nothing but good words about them!!! Great to deal with!!!

7. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    Mine came from carmax, and I'll never buy another vehicle from carmax.

I traded in a honda and durango. It wasn't too bad what they gave me, but I could have sold each for easily double privately.

My complaint was, I bought it with a drivetrain noise(my dumbass mistake). I was crossing my fingers it was just a loose heat shield. It wasn't. When it was all said and done, they had it in a nasty transmission shop for almost a month(permanent interior stains as a result). The transmission had been pulled three times and supposed replaced with a "rebuilt" one. I'm convinced they just spray painted my original one black.

In the end they offered to buy it back, but I use my truck for work and couldn't afford another day without it. All of this had already cost me over $6,000 and it was either keep the truck or be without a vehicle and homeless.

It all could have been avoided had they just taken it to a dealership from the start like I asked them to, and they said they would. They paid the transmission shop over $1900. For a few hundred more, that I would have gladly paid, they could have had brand new transmission dropped in it, and a very happy customer.

If you get a good truck, you might be fine. If you can afford to wait on them if there is something wrong, and your willing to accept they probably wont fix it with OEM quality parts, then I would say go for it.

Keep this in mind though, after I bought my truck I found the exact same model, a year newer, 45,000 less miles, and certified pre-owned with the 100,000 mile 7 year warranty at a toyota dealer for $300 more than I paid carmax.

I highly recommend buying only from a toyota dealer and only going certified.

So added up, I paid 16 with TTL out the door, they cost me 6 by it being in the shop, I'm now about to drop a new transmission in it on my own dime, thats 2.

That's a grand total of 24k for a truck listed as 13,998. Most expensive mistake I've ever made.

I still love her though :D

EDIT: I should note that my truck was a one owner, had every single oil change done at the same dealer from the day it was driven off the lot. Extremely well taken care of, and obviously garage kept.

8. Dec 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Well I am not trading or buying just selling this Buick of hers. Someone told me if I can't sell it on Ebay I should try Car Max. I think after this snow melts I will take it to them and see what they offer.

9. Dec 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    \
    Other than buying new I really don't trust used car salesman at the traditional car dealer lots. Heck even the new car dealers will look at you straight faced and lie like a rug.

10. Dec 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    This is true. The nice thing about carmax is the car salesmen are on a base commission. They make the same if they sell $10,000 car or a $100,000 car.

The downside is, the techs that inspected the vehicle when it was traded in.
    I have a good friend that was a tech for carmax for about a year, he was damn good at catching things. He caught cars all the time and had them rejected that other techs had passed to go on the lot.

If your just wanting to trade a vehicle in, they are worth a shot. When I trade this one in, thats the first place I'm going. If they will give more than the dealer, I'll leave it with carmax and make them give me a ride to the toyota dealer.

I'm just saying, your better off buying a toyota certified for a little more then paying for carmax warranty.

I do have a pretty bitter taste in my mouth from carmax, I know they usually are pretty good to deal with. It was good they offered to buy the truck back, I was just in to deep by that point.

To Top