1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

car payments.

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by aficianado, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sep 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Oh I know they are, we are doing well with out rental property, but I have made much higher gains this year with buying and selling stocks then I ever did with the house. Best way to have good investments is to diversify them all over the place (realestate, stocks, rrsp, savings, etc). Thats what my goals are

2. Sep 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    My father inlaw bought a 2013 Bentley 6 months ago and paid cash for it. Could you imagine what the payments would be for a $280,000 vehicle.

3. Sep 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Everyone is different, but the wife and I bought new cars a year apart. I have 2 years left to pay & she has 3. We're paying a lot, but have dependable cars with warranties as our white collar jobs indicate. We're DINKS, are maxing out 401ks & Roths. Financing the Taco means it'll be paid off with 50k miles on the clock, I plan to drive it to 200k at least, which is a large reason I bought a taco. That's 10 yrs or more with no payment. Setting myself up for the future. It's always a gamble - all you can do is bet on a reliable truck & stack the odds in your favor.

She's the same way - new Sonata, which was recently awarded the title of most reliable mid-size vehicle. Bet she drives it for 8 years at least.

4. Sep 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    :goingcrazy:

Only $9,000 more to go for me!!! I could have it all paid off by next Feb if I wanted, but that's a huge chunk of change I'd rather have for emergencies than being waaay more strapped than I am now for $$.

Having a safety net sure feels MUCH better than living paycheck to paycheck. Did that for about a year a while back, and hopefully will never be in such a situation again. :eek:

I've thrown a few pennies at my truck and I'll be damned if I trade it in for a longer loan and more payments. I've heard some people say, car payments will always be a part of life and I was like :eek: maybe in your life. I plan on paying off my truck and not having any payments for a good while. For the future though, my next purchase will either be a camry or corolla paid in cash. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. Sep 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    I only owe $1837.65 left!!! Hope to pay it off by December!

6. Sep 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    oh......makes sense then :D

7. Sep 22, 2013 at 3:04 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    This thread is a downer... and motivation. I have been working hard for 2 years to get all my debts paid off. And I hope to shortly into the New Year. But that to get right back into it I plan on buying a 2006-2010 Corvette Z06 that I will have forever.... yes I will have to finance. Trying to have a nice down payment though.

8. Sep 22, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you have a mortgage?

If yes..... Is it paid off? Put that $$ towards paying off mortgage.
    If no.... forget about the corvette. Go find yourself a nice mortgage.

We have a corvette...and they're nice & fun when they're totally paid off (and paid in cash).

Homes increase in value over time. Corvettes do not.

9. Sep 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I have 2 houses, one I live in and 1 I rent. I live in Orange County,NY. I am looking at a 40k-45k Corvette, There is no way any house in the area for under $200k. And the renters market in the area is not that strong so it would not be worth the risk. If anything I would try to rent my house and buy a bigger house.

10. Sep 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^^^But that would still allow me to buy the Vette...

11. Sep 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I didn't know how young (wink) you were. When you were talking about getting rid of debt in one sentence and buying corvette in the next sentence.... Made me question your financial reasoning to get yourself into a huge used car loan.

Can you blame me?

At this point in life... My husband hates debt -however- Your almost always going to have some form of payments for something. It's a matter of balance.

When we were younger, finances were a lot tighter, there was more debt, and we were making a lot less too. Sometimes you'd never think you'd ever get ahead. As you get older and take care of things along the way, things eventually smooth out and you get 'comfortable'

12. Sep 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^^Haha I am old..... and already have 2 houses and we have been tossing around the idea of buying another house. I have always said that I was going to buy a Vette by 40....

13. Sep 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    And I said that I was knocking down my debt and going to buy a vette in 1 sentence bc that is a goal as well prior to buying the car. I know it is payoff debt to put yourself back into debt, but I am buying used and am not going to buy a super expensive car. Actually one of the cars I am looking at is cheaper then a Tundra Rock Warrior edition used that one of the guys from work bought.....

14. Sep 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    If you can't buy things like a corvette to have fun with at certain points in your life, then what's the point of living? Or working for a living? That's how I see it

15. Sep 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^Exactly, that is my bday present to myself. I have always wanted one, just wish that I had more money to put down on the car. But I have narrowed it down at least to 2006-2010 Z06..... I am already on vette forums so that will only get worse after I get the car.

16. Sep 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    But I wish I did not have to have a car payment honestly...but that is a huge chunk of change.

17. Sep 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    dph473

dph473 Active Member

Member:
    Sounds like toughtaco is on the right track to me. "Work to live not live to work" If you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor then why work. Life is too short. I would love a Corvette some day but for right now I'm loving a debt free life.

On the other hand, there are always going to be poor money managers despite the good info on this thread that will live beyond their means. Budgets stretched to the max. It's the American way right?

18. Sep 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Debt free is the way to go! You can have fun without financing it. It's called saving your money. Not buying things you don't need, with money you don't have, to impress people you don't like!

19. Sep 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    To me.... a car payment is much easier to swallow for a daily driver.

A car payment on a 'hobbyist' spare vehicle? Not so much....

Why not shoot for a C5? You know you're gonna spend shit-tons of $$ after you get it.... so why not start older & cheaper? I think 2004 C5's can go for $25-30k.

20. Sep 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    .....you dont like yourself?

Products Discussed in

To Top