1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car seat in double cab (Orbit Baby)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slmgt, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Looking for advice as to which side of the rear seats y'all prefer your baby be fastened into and why.

I'm leaning toward fastening our daughter into the driver's side rear seat on the basis of being able to retrieve her more quickly in the case of an accident/other emergency. However while I find it to be a safer option, I want to be sure I'm not missing other elements, like the ability to see her.

The orbit baby infant car seat attaches to a car seat adapter which is secured using the LATCH system. The infant car seat is ONLY rear-facing, so seeing her may not be an option anyway.

2. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    armyoffoo

armyoffoo Scrotie McBoogerballs

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM TRD Sport
    I had to put my son's car seat in the middle, wouldn't fit comfortably behind either the driver's seat or passenger seat.

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    Middle of the rear seat is the best for an infant. You also have side airbags to think about if you put here on the right or left side.
    I'd check with the local fire department (or a TW fire fighter) and see what they recommend.

EDIT: Apparently there is no "middle" LATCH points. I could have swore that they were there.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    If she is the only baby then I would use the middle. She will be most protected in the case of a side impact and easy access from either door. If there are two car seats the I put the youngest on the passenger side since they are easier to see and reach from the driver seat when necessary. Also when parallel parked, it is scary getting a baby out on the driver side.

5. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    Superdavert

Superdavert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
    I have the car seat on the passenger side. I would have to have my seat too far up to fit it on the driver side. Middle wouldn't be a bad option. At the hospital I was told to put it on one side or the other. In my '09, I have safety latches on both sides of the bench. Would be a good idea to have it on the passenger side if you parallel park a lot.

6. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    llibrm

llibrm OH NOOOOOO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Winthrop, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB, 06 LC120 (sold)
    Pelfreybilt Aluminum Bumper, KING 2.5 on all four corners, 4x4 illuminated switch, Cobra 75 w/ 3' Firestick, 2M/ 70cm Radio w/ Diamond NR770HB, Pelfreybilt bed bar, Lightforce Stiker 170s, BD 20" OnX6, BD S2 ditch lites, BD Fogs
    The middle is the best. It also allows you to still carry addition passengers equally.

I have a 2yo and so they are on both the outer seats so the middle seat is useless. But, that was a know issue before the truck was purchased. My infant is behind the driver side as to allow my older boy to have more legroom. If he sat behind me, he would have non as my seat is all the way back. No issues for the infant once I removed the seat back on that side. Gained a little extra room that way and its only two bolts to remove it.

GL with the little one

7. Mar 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Conex

Conex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Passenger side in mine. As said before, the legroom would suck due to my seat being back all the way. Plus, he kicks the back of the seat like a ninja rabbit.

8. Mar 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill

There are not LATCH anchors for the middle seat; Only the two outside rear seats. LATCH anchors are required to be 11" on center from each other. The two center anchors (one from each of the outer seats) are more in the neighborhood of 19" from each other.

I just installed a base yesterday in the passenger side since there's no way I'd fit with it behind the driver's seat.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  9. Mar 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    eric3187

eric3187 Well-Known Member

Member:
    no idea what kind of car seat my brother has, but it is set up in the middle seat, rear facing with a mirror on the back of the seat so he can see his kid with a quick glance

10. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    I have a Britax Marathon on the passenger side. It is an awesome car seat.

Middle doesn't have LATCH anchors, driver side means you and your kid are hanging out in traffic (bad idea).

11. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    jbaird22

jbaird22 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 access cab SR5
    My 2 year old sits on the passenger side in the back my access cab. Id say passenger side in case you have to pull over and take care of an issue.

12. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    Carseats existed long before LATCH. Using the middle seatbelt is a perfectly acceptable way to secure your seat. It just isn't as convenient for in/out. An infant seat, however, typically snaps into a base that is not removed all that often.

You do not need to use LATCH to secure a carseat.

13. Mar 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Correct

14. Mar 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    So using the middle seat while using the LATCH system is a no no?

I use the seat belt and the latch anchors. It may be overboard but it's my little buddy back there.

15. Mar 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    I always use the passenger side. 1- there is a plastic pad so she doesn't jack up my east backs. 2- the front seat folds down which can be convenient. 3-curb side. 4-easier to reach and or see.

The only negative is that for storage and other purposes I wish the single fold down seat was on that side. I have to go pick up my kid 6 times a year for visits and it's a 7hr round trip event all hwy. She's now 6 and we have been doing this for 3.5 years.

16. Mar 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    This. You should use the side that allows you to reach your child the quickest in an emergency (drivers) but in these trucks, middle would be second choice. Also, the child being in the middle of the car is safer in the event of a side impact (tbone) situation.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  17. Mar 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

Passenger side is safer for both of you when you parallel park.
    Passenger side is safer in a head-on (which is typically driver's corner, not truly head-on).

Neither side is safe in a t-bone, but I recall reading a few years ago that more t-bones come in from the driver's side due to the reduced visibility of cross traffic.

18. Mar 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    easler24

easler24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Michigan
    I agree that the middle seat should not be used with the latch system.

I have a rear facing infant seat and have it on my passenger side in the back. The front seat needs to be moved up to make this happen. Not real comfortable for the passenger, but better him (or her) than me!

If you want to see the little guy install a mirror that sits on the head rest of the back seat. They are very handy and you can get one for $10-15.

I am about to upgrade the seat to a convertible as he is almost a year old now (25 lbs.). I am hoping that maybe that seat does not take up as much room as the current seat, but that is doubtful. If it sits a little more upright than the current seat I will be happy. Good luck!

19. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Thanks everyone for all the input!

I don't parallel park too often. I reverse into most parking spots otherwise.

I may put her in the passenger's side, because of the overall lower risk to her (and hopefully me). The LATCH system is preferred to using a seatbelt and I don't have much of an excuse to ignore LATCH when I have it. Using the middle seat is for now out of the question.

Added benefit of letting my passenger(s) deal with the front seat's location instead of me :).

Thanks again!

20. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    You need to check the owners manual

Opinions are great, but no one here has done the extensive testing that vehicle and child safety seat manufacturers have

The owners manual will have the proper seat placement listed

There is no safer option between latch and seat belt if secured properly and having both will not dd any extra security

Check with your local fd or pd to have your seat checked to see if it's properly and safely secured

Products Discussed in

To Top